Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will snipping Pink/Lt.Green wire on 4l60e harness safely prevent tc lockup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Will snipping Pink/Lt.Green wire on 4l60e harness safely prevent tc lockup?

98 Camaro 4l60e, TC slipping and fearful it'll cause clutch garbage to kill my tranny.

Searching for 4l60e pinouts here show pink/lt.green wire on 4l60e harness controls TC lockup.

Can I just temporarily snip this wire (or ground it or something) to allow me to safely drive the car until I get it opened up to eyeball it?

I can live without the locking TC, but I have to drive all highway so need to keep it unlocked while I troubleshoot.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

If you snip the wores you will set a code and likely go to limp mode. Now if you have a tuner software you can disable lockup in the PCM but simply snipping wires will not work

Call 888-744-6542

Old 08-08-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you used a SPDT switch and made the "out" leg
an equal-to-solenoid dummy resistor, returned to
same electrical leg as the solenoid, it might defeat
the code setting. But I've seen other stuff on the
car where a simple trick did not suffice, it wanted
to see the inductance of a motor.

If it did work, the high TCC slip when "engaged"
is likely to set a slip code, so you'd have to kill
that one anyway.

If you have tow/haul mode or want to rig it, that
could give you the TCC modality you want (along
with other stuff like shift profile variation).
Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Ok, I got it going, here's what I did!!

First, let me say that I appreciate all the comments on this forum, not just to this thread but to all the threads of all the people asking for help. You guys rule.

Anyway, so, I have a mail order tune, sorry I didn't mention that in the original post, I did mention it in a parallel thread about the TC problem I am having, sorry. But, I have what they called a "racing tune".

Up until now I didn't know what was tuned out of it.

I found out however that a LOT is tuned out of it, for example, the EGR is obviously tuned out (I did EGR blockoffs and yanked the plug on the EGR and no codes).

ALSO, my TC was slipping SO much, I figured if that wasn't tuned out I certainly would have set the trans code already, so I felt comfortable that it too was tuned out.

So, I just found the tan wire with black stripe (I am a 98 camaro, a web site called it TCC Solenoid Valve Control Pin "T") and snipped it and just took it for a loooong drive and it's fine! I now have 4th overdrive gear with NO TC lockup and no code. This buys me some time to work out the slipping TC problem without destroying the TC Clutch.

PS - I started by snipping the purple wire that was the brake TC cutoff or something like that, and for everyone else's information it behaved this way:

No throttle was no TC lockup. As I would apply throttle, the TC would kick in until I removed throttle again, where it would immediately unlock. Of course, Cruise Control also would not work. Brake lights were normal.

That wasn't going to work for me obviously since my goal was to just stop TC lockup so I can drive the car. That's when I tried my second try, the tan/black stripe wire.

Note to others who are searching here, if you don't have the trans errors tuned out, this will almost certainly throw a code like others are saying.

Quick Reply: Will snipping Pink/Lt.Green wire on 4l60e harness safely prevent tc lockup?