Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Swap... Remove the engine too???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Swap... Remove the engine too???

my friend is doing a trans swap in his 02 z28 and i'll b helping him out with it, just curious if u think it would b easier to

1) pull motor out with trans attached or
2)lower kmember with engine mounted to get easier access to bellhousing bolts (i've lowered the k member before ik its easy i'm just curious if afterdoing so if i can get to the bellhousing bolts) and do all the work with the clutch etc. while its in the car

Has anyone done it without removing the engine?

4l60to a t56
Old 08-29-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have dropped the trans out of mine a couple of times without taking the engine down. You need to drop the K-member down to gain access to the top bell housing bolts. So really all you need is a really long extension and you're good to go. It took me and a buddy about 5 hours to do but we were't trying to break any speed records by any means. I think this is much easier then taking the whole thing out and putting it all back in. Just my opinion tho. Hope that helps.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree w/WS6Fitz...

When you disconnect the torque arm and drive shaft (and remove them), remove the rear trans support and lower the trans tail down (hopefully you've drained it before this) and you'll have the access to the top bolt you need... Do not remove the engine, do not loosen the k-member. The trans comes out fine. Just lift the car adequately or even highly on one side so you can scoot the trans out the lifted side. I just finished SWAPPING my T56 for a TH400 and did not drop the k-member.

Good luck.

D
Old 08-29-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Duffster
I disagree w/WS6Fitz...

When you disconnect the torque arm and drive shaft (and remove them), remove the rear trans support and lower the trans tail down (hopefully you've drained it before this) and you'll have the access to the top bolt you need... Do not remove the engine, do not loosen the k-member. The trans comes out fine. Just lift the car adequately or even highly on one side so you can scoot the trans out the lifted side. I just finished SWAPPING my T56 for a TH400 and did not drop the k-member.

Good luck.

D
With you doing this are you not unbolting the bell housing from the engine block??? If not, there is no way that you could get to that top bolt of the bellhousing without dropping the K-member down to give yourself enough room to get in there to take the bolt out. If there is a way please explain. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

I disagree w/WS6Fitz...

Good luck.

D
winner, winner, chicken dinner... Tried and proven time and again.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

When you drop the tail of the trans, the weight of it changes the angle of the engine/trans mating in the tunnel.... you NOW have access to the bolts...

D
Old 08-29-2011, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This has been done thousands of times without removing or touching the engine or K-member.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

did mine twice,once for convertor and once for tranny swap. put some upward pressure on the crank dampener to tilt back of engine/bellhousing more downward than what would be attainable by weight of tranny. provided good access to top bolts.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow thanks guys much appreciated, this swap aint gonna b as bad as i anticipated
Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Get about 48 inches of extensions, one of those u joint pieces to go infront of the socket, pull the long motor mount bolts out and drop the tranny crossmemeber and the motor will really rock back (pending you don't have poly or solid motor mounts). You will be turning the ratchet at the tail when removing the top bolts, meaning you will literally fish 30 inches of extensions up and above the trans to reach your desired bolt. Not too tough when you get the hang of it.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Get about 48 inches of extensions..
I use a 24" Extension and I'm fine..
Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

I disagree w/WS6Fitz...

Good luck.

D

done it this way a couple times, definitely the way to do it!
Old 08-30-2011, 06:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

it does have poly mounts, should i take the big mount bolt out? or is that just a waste of time?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No need to pull the engine mount bolts.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

The only time it becomes an issue is if you have to solid motor mounts like the ones from sophin then it becomes a little more difficult. But other than that it's cake.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

What everyone else said. Hang the trans by removing the crossmember. Get the top bell bolts. I like using a wobble extension at the end instead of a ujoint or swivel.

Support the trans with your jack and remove the remaining lower bolts.

Also its easier to remove the trans lines with the crossmember removed and the trans hanging.

I recently got my trans out and back in in under 2 hours start to finish. Its not a difficult job.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a pic of my converter swap. I pulled my trans(help from a friend) like Duffster recommended. Didn't loosen the k-member...don't touch. Removed the tq arm, shaft, and mount. Once it's lowered and you have a king kong long john extension. You can removed the bolts on the bell housing. Plus the starter and bolts on the torque converter need to be removed.

Quick Reply: Trans Swap... Remove the engine too???