Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TQ converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
Have you contacted any of the Sponsors here in order to get an answer? If not, why not? I have personally worked with each and every one of them and know them to be truly knowledgeable guys. They will all have very good and detailed answers for you... and no you do not need to spend an arm and a leg on a 'big box" brand converter. I personally would never order a stock converter from B&M, why in the hell would I want to pay to have their name on it?

If you are looking for cheap.. then yeah go with a Daacco. If you want okay, get in the local Yellowpages and look under Torque Converters for a local shop and have them build you one. Chances are they have one on the shelf. Chances are any one of the Sponsors here has one on the shelf ready to go... but it will be a much better value for the money you will spend!

Call me, I do not manufacture converters... but I do deal with some 5 or 6 companies regularly. Hughes, ATI, Transmission Specialties, Neil Chance Racing Converters, CircleD, Yank.... I could go on. Call me and I'll help you understand what you are looking for bud.

g
Gilbert thanx for helping me understand what is Really going on. You've been a Great Help!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Thread title is cute
Old 09-12-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Thread title is cute
I thought so too! I needed to get some mature attention to my problem and it worked. Not everyone that comes here is Speed Racer. lol Sometimes you just can't get a simple answer to a simple question no matter how many times you repeat yourself.

Ya know Bigger is not always Better!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

OK so now I know the truth! I live about 2 miles away from a Company called RevMax here in Charlotte NC. I called there on Monday and spoke with them about a replacement torque converter for my Z28 and they invited me down to take a look around. I just got back and I'd like to say that some people here on this site are either so full of **** their eyes are brown or... they just really don't know what they are talking about. I toured the facility and was shown everything, nice people nice equipment Very knowledgeable. I also learned that there only 3 main manufacturers in this country that make the Main High Performance parts that go into building the High performance Torque Converters that the High Dollar converters makers sell. I've been researching this for a couple of weeks now and have seen photos of different builders shops on the internet and in these photos I've seen boxes of parts.RevMax uses the SAME PARTS as those High dollar Manufacturers. So if you insist on paying Top Dollar for the Brand Name on your converters keep on truckin. Just STOP Lying to people that are New to this or get an Education!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im all for saving a buck and i know cheap in price doesnt mean cheap in quality
that why i went with a ptc . That and because people had nothing but good things
to say about them. How many people you know have used remax? How fast have
they gone with them?

Im not dissing or anything but if you feel comfortable with that brand
and they gave you a tour of their shop and explained stuff why not?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I'm gonna say is here we go again when steve checks this again.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1121
OK so now I know the truth! I live about 2 miles away from a Company called RevMax here in Charlotte NC. I called there on Monday and spoke with them about a replacement torque converter for my Z28 and they invited me down to take a look around. I just got back and I'd like to say that some people here on this site are either so full of **** their eyes are brown or... they just really don't know what they are talking about. I toured the facility and was shown everything, nice people nice equipment Very knowledgeable. I also learned that there only 3 main manufacturers in this country that make the Main High Performance parts that go into building the High performance Torque Converters that the High Dollar converters makers sell. I've been researching this for a couple of weeks now and have seen photos of different builders shops on the internet and in these photos I've seen boxes of parts.RevMax uses the SAME PARTS as those High dollar Manufacturers. So if you insist on paying Top Dollar for the Brand Name on your converters keep on truckin. Just STOP Lying to people that are New to this or get an Education!
First off I thought you wanted a stock converter? If that is now not the case circle d makes great budget converters for around 390 bucks. Second you coming in here and saying that these converters are amazing and that everyone else is full of it is ignorant and quite frankly makes you look stupid. (no offense)

The main converters companies like circle d, yank, vig etc who make billet converters actually engineer and mill their own parts out of a solid piece of aluminum in house so when you said they all get the parts from the same places that's false because most of the parts are made in house. Also did you get the chance to see inside the revmax converters???? The lockup clutch surface area is about half the size take a look here, a revmax on the left and a billet vig on the right..... http://www.ls1.com/forums/f64/converter-101-a-131632/ even the billet clutches in the revmax's arent much better than the one with the adapter ring in the link.

Also you say the quality of metals they use are the exact same.... How can you tell? Sponsors and most high converter company will plainly tell you what grade of aluminum they use to make their stalls. Last time I checked aluminum looks like aluminum, its shiny, dull, sometimes it painted purple, yellow etc. None of that tells me how good it is. There are types of aluminum out there that I can cut with a hacksaw and other grades I would need a damn grinder for... You cant possible tell how good the meterial is by looking at it. The fact is that revmax converters have blown up, and they have been proven to be inferior to many other converters in terms of efficiency and driveability. If your on a budget circle d, yank, and PTC all market quality converters in the 400 dollar range and you even get a free restall. Don't bash companies and people on here just because you believe something someone told you. I'll go ahead and believe the people with real experience and the pictures I see like the one I posted above.

Man I cant wait for steve to read the rest of this though. I think I started the appropriate response ok but he always has something good to say lol.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Hmmmmm.......I was told they were made out of Billet Steel not aluminum, Good thing I went with Revmax. A lot of what i was told was not from expierience but from opinion. And ya want to know why i have an attitude. Gee go figure.

And my Problem is that I come here to share my knowledge what ever amount it might be to help Others. This is my 3rd post trying to get an answer to a Simple Question and what I got was BS ( in my opinion only). Read my other posts if you will and LOOK at my QUESTION!
Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, hopefully it holds up well for you. IM assumming the car is close to stock? If you were making serious hp then Id say you might destroy it sooner rather than later. Keep us informed on how it does. If you dont live at the track and do wheel standing launches on a regular basis It might last a while. Hell my stock trans and converter are still going at 183k and the revmax cant be any worse than stock, can It?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Well, hopefully it holds up well for you. IM assumming the car is close to stock? If you were making serious hp then Id say you might destroy it sooner rather than later. Keep us informed on how it does. If you dont live at the track and do wheel standing launches on a regular basis It might last a while. Hell my stock trans and converter are still going at 183k and the revmax cant be any worse than stock, can It?
Yes, actually I'm having Tick rebuild the top end into a 04 Z06 and that's not too much. he showed me the stock converter that I have now and the one he is building for me both split into pieces, and the new one is Much better all the way around. If it isn't good I will for sure come back and let everyone know, but I think it will probably last as long as the car does. I have an Aamco one in there now for over 100,000 miles and it is still OK. like I said before i will have the motor out so i want to change it.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

my STOCK converter does it lock up?
yes, its suppose to
My Stock converter what is the stall?
Manufactures mainly use K factors to rate stall speeds, but the short answer is just under 2k
Who sells a Good replacement for THIS converter?
Precision of New Hampton, Dynamic, Unsure who's on the west coast.
If your looking for quality, just go to your local Chevy dealer

Is Daaco the best I can get to have a replacement stock converter?
Do not use Daaco. bottom of the food chain here
I want the best gas mileage i can possibly get, yes i CARE!
Installing a lower stall speed may increase mileage, but I would imagine the results would be barley measurable
I never go to the Track with my car and don't care to. I like driving my Z that is why I bought it. The trans will be out of the car and I want to replace it, it has way over 100,000 miles on it. Would B&M be a Good choice for a STOCK Converter?

This is the only time that I have come here for help and have not been able to get an answer. Your KILLING me lol.

I would hate to put the motor back in and have to pull the trans in a few months only to start this all over again.

Does anybody here know anything about just driving a regular stock. Z28?

Thank You to anyone that can help me with this knowledge.
There's actually quite a few companies that manufacture parts for performance torqueconverters. Neal Chance, Coan, & Transmission Specialties make their parts in house (and Ill bet they are not even on your list.) Tri components and Sonnax both manufacturer parts for performance converters. There's more.
There's quite a few companies that produce billet covers. Even a small company I worked for in the 70's produced bolt together racing converters.
As for stock replacements, it depends on what side of the country your on.
As for the referance of steel or aluminum, the aluminum red bird was refering to was for the stator. Some are cast, some are made from solid blocks of forged aluminum. Some very high hp units also use steel. Good luck with your converter swap.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

a stock convertor is what you wanted and what you got from a company that rebuilds stock convertors and may improve them a little bit. but to come on here and bash high end convertor companies and believe that they all have their parts made by the same people make you look like a complete tool.

one thing that the big name companies have over others is customer service in my opinion. i use a vig convertor and they have always been excelent at giving me technical advice!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 402GOAT
a stock convertor is what you wanted and what you got from a company that rebuilds stock convertors and may improve them a little bit. but to come on here and bash high end convertor companies and believe that they all have their parts made by the same people make you look like a complete tool.

one thing that the big name companies have over others is customer service in my opinion. i use a vig convertor and they have always been excelent at giving me technical advice!!!
I came for help and got none ...almost, i'm only bashing some people. and when I was in their shop I saw the High End Converters also at a substantially lower price. people here, not in this thread but in my other 2 and other threads by others about this same manufacturer have called them Junk, and that is the bullshit I'm referring to. If Glbert@AceRacing didn't step in and help me I would still be subject to the "stupid people" you know who you are.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

This is my 3rd post trying to get an answer to a Simple Question and what I got was BS ( in my opinion only).
You don't have to be here. We wouldn't miss you a bit
Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmmmm.......I was told they were made out of Billet Steel not aluminum, Good thing I went with Revmax. A lot of what i was told was not from expierience but from opinion. And ya want to know why i have an attitude. Gee go figure.

And my Problem is that I come here to share my knowledge what ever amount it might be to help Others. This is my 3rd post trying to get an answer to a Simple Question and what I got was BS ( in my opinion only). Read my other posts if you will and LOOK at my QUESTION!
Who told you they were made from steel? Even revmax I believe uses aluminum to make their billet converters if someone told me they use steel (heavier and cheaper than aluminum) then theres part of the answer why its cheaper.

Btw I did look at your question you said you wanted a STOCK stall and where to find one to which some people already answered dayco or other rebuilt stockers. I only commented after seeing you went with a revmax which is def not stock so again I was not answering your stock question because it already had been answered and now you were looking at a performance converter.
I came for help and got none ...almost, i'm only bashing some people. and when I was in their shop I saw the High End Converters also at a substantially lower price. people here, not in this thread but in my other 2 and other threads by others about this same manufacturer have called them Junk, and that is the bullshit I'm referring to. If Glbert@AceRacing didn't step in and help me I would still be subject to the "stupid people" you know who you are.
Again your original question was answered in the first couple posts... And again how do you know they were high end? People have already come in here and agreed that most high end converters use custom parts so the fact that revmax told you that they all come from the same source is fishy right off the bat. Aluminum looks like aluminum to me so whether or not they use quality materials is up to anyones guess. Sorry man but for the extra 100 bucks I'll buy a circle d 3200 or a ptc stall and live with reliable proven performace
Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by a-low
Noooooo! Don't do revmax! Save your pennies and get one from a reputable company
because its gonna cost you more when you blow your trans.
You've got to be kidding!! I've got probably the cheapest converter in there now for over 100,000 and it still works, Whom is filling you head with all this stuff. and Did you even read my OP?

Sounds like a typical case of Brainwashing. I went to their shop and a real nice place with real nice people. RevMax what a Deal. $249. I think he said 10 1/2" slightly smaller in diameter than my stocker with a 2600 - 2800 stall. and...I really did not want one that high, I just could not pass up the Deal.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by a-low
Yes as a matter of fact on a th350/350 combo lasted me about a year on a dd.
Doesn't sound like he's brainwashed at all. It sounds like he had a bad experience and he's recommending you not get a RevMax because his failed. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to make sure you know we are not brainwashed. We are just trying to recommend what we feel would be ideal for you based on our own/friend's experiences. Sounds like you got a good deal on the RevMax. Good luck and let us know if we can help you out any more!

Scott
Old 09-15-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Doesn't sound like he's brainwashed at all. It sounds like he had a bad experience and he's recommending you not get a RevMax because his failed. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to make sure you know we are not brainwashed. We are just trying to recommend what we feel would be ideal for you based on our own/friend's experiences. Sounds like you got a good deal on the RevMax. Good luck and let us know if we can help you out any more!

Scott
Yes Thanx, If it doesn't work out you will hear from me
Scott you seem to be one of the level headed people here, there has to be thousands of shops that make converters all over this Great Country of ours. I was just looking for a shop that had a Decent reasonably priced converter and no one could tell who. They are not all junk, that would be rediculous they are used every day. I finally spoke with Gilbert @ Ace and he enlightened me on a few things.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

No problem, I just try to help with what I can. Glad to hear you talked to a guys who was able to tell you more as well. I'm learning new stuff about these cars every day. Stick around here--there's a wealth of info from guys that are daily driving these cars all the way to racing them. I can't tell you how much I have learned searching around on the site--even for simple stuff like pesky problems I've tried to run down.

Scott
Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You don't have to be here. We wouldn't miss you a bit
I was thinking the same thing. Thank You for reassuring me.

Quick Reply: TQ converter