Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TQ converter

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a good reliable and priced cheap converter then there is nothing wrong with Revmax.. Thats what I have been running in my Firehawk for a while now and have put thousands of miles on it. I have taking it down the track at least 15 times with it as well and besides an airfoil it is the only aftermarket part on my car. I run consitant mid-low 13's and if I had a Drag Radial I am pretty sure I could hit close to 12's.. Not bad for a stock 1995 LT1.. I have a 3200 stall.. Driving around town is a blast now and it still gets about the same gas miles as before.. They said the same thing to me when I got the Converter.. I am still waiting for my Tranny to blow and the converter to blow but it hasnt. I have driven the car to Virginia Beach from NJ and back without any issues at all. There are many of us on here that run these converters and we pretty much all have had good things to say about them. People just hate on them for some reason.. Maybe because they cost 249.99? Like I said still waiting for my **** to break...
Old 10-06-2011, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1998silverbird
If you want a good reliable and priced cheap converter then there is nothing wrong with Revmax.. Thats what I have been running in my Firehawk for a while now and have put thousands of miles on it. I have taking it down the track at least 15 times with it as well and besides an airfoil it is the only aftermarket part on my car. I run consitant mid-low 13's and if I had a Drag Radial I am pretty sure I could hit close to 12's.. Not bad for a stock 1995 LT1.. I have a 3200 stall.. Driving around town is a blast now and it still gets about the same gas miles as before.. They said the same thing to me when I got the Converter.. I am still waiting for my Tranny to blow and the converter to blow but it hasnt. I have driven the car to Virginia Beach from NJ and back without any issues at all. There are many of us on here that run these converters and we pretty much all have had good things to say about them. People just hate on them for some reason.. Maybe because they cost 249.99? Like I said still waiting for my **** to break...

Good to hear, thanx for the reply. I did buy a Revmax it is a 2800 stall and it is OK locks up at 2800, but for me if I had to do it again I would go with a 2500. I live right around the corner from their shop so I was invited to come in and see the place, Real Nice People. I get the same gas mileage and the converter works Great!! I actually had 3 posts trying to get someone to give me the Truth. I didn't go with the Big name converter so a few of the Heavy's here have black balled me and no longer reply to my posts. But that just goes to show their character I guess. Where are you from in jersey?
Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1121
Good to hear, thanx for the reply. I did buy a Revmax it is a 2800 stall and it is OK locks up at 2800, but for me if I had to do it again I would go with a 2500. I live right around the corner from their shop so I was invited to come in and see the place, Real Nice People. I get the same gas mileage and the converter works Great!! I actually had 3 posts trying to get someone to give me the Truth. I didn't go with the Big name converter so a few of the Heavy's here have black balled me and no longer reply to my posts. But that just goes to show their character I guess. Where are you from in jersey?

I Live in Camden county exit 3 off the turnpike...

I remember when I installed the revmax converter over 1 1/2 years ago and all those same people who was talking there crap about revmax now were the same people who talked bad about them back then.. If you never owned a Revmax converter then I dont understand how you can talk **** on them? Just because my converter costs 700.00 less then yours doesnt mean its a POS.. People should be happy that there are cheaper options out there for people who just want to have fun and drive your can and not race it every weekend.. If I planned on building a 600 hp car then I would have gotton a Yank but I have no plans at all to make any more then say 350 hp.. I would rather spend that 700.00 on other things..
Old 10-08-2011, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

I Live in Camden county exit 3 off the turnpike...

I remember when I installed the revmax converter over 1 1/2 years ago and all those same people who was talking there crap about revmax now were the same people who talked bad about them back then.. If you never owned a Revmax converter then I dont understand how you can talk **** on them? Just because my converter costs 700.00 less then yours doesnt mean its a POS.. People should be happy that there are cheaper options out there for people who just want to have fun and drive your can and not race it every weekend.. If I planned on building a 600 hp car then I would have gotton a Yank but I have no plans at all to make any more then say 350 hp.. I would rather spend that 700.00 on other things..

That was my thinking too! I'm originally from exit 18.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

That was my thinking too! I'm originally from exit 18.
Oh wow your from the other state called North Jersey!! They should Split NJ in half at trenton and make 2 states out of it..
Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Oh wow your from the other state called North Jersey!! They should Split NJ in half at trenton and make 2 states out of it..
Yes Ok but....you keep Trenton.

I'm in Charlotte NC now and I was thinking........build a wall by the Delaware Bridge. lol
Old 10-08-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
I understand you not wanting a pricier Yank or Circle D, so I would look into PTC if I were you. For around $500, you can get a decent converter, although it will be non-billet. Also, you could put in the Circle D 278mm. Check it out here--http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-...converter.aspx
This is the converter I have, and it is very DD friendly. It is non-billet, so it isn't as expensive as others. You won't really be able to tell it's stalled until you mash it (which, from the way it sounds like you drive your car, might be never). I drives very tight. What are you wanting from the stall--just a little more pep without the car feeling like you have a stall? Or, are you looking for a looser, stalled feel, just not a very high flash stall? If the former, then I suggest the Circle D, if the latter, I suggest a PTC as I have heard they are a little looser than others. I will say, however, that 2600-2800 is not very much of a stall. I think the stock is 1800 or something. I know I am already wanting more stall, and I just put mine in back in March. I ignored people's warnings when they told me to go bigger than I thought because I will end up wanted more. I ignored them, and now I'm wishing I didn't. Hope this helps...

Scott
Or, instead of offering up ptc like Its an inferior product you could offer one of yank or circle ds cheaper converters.

Lolololol on revmaxx, cool you got a rebuilt cavalier converter for 100$ cheaper than you could have got a nice converter. Awesome.

You want a cheaper converter? 550$ shipped for a brand new ptc with a transmission cooler. You can not beat that for the price, period. My buddies stock Internals full weight with exhaust lid and ptc went 1.5x short times in 1700+DA.
I know circle d sells one for right in that price as well so they are an option.. as I'm sure yank fti etc.. Just talk to them and see what they have to offer.

And lol at its not a race car just a normal car.. All the more reason to go with a good converter. Go ahead and buy a pos tci, let me know how that lock up works for you.... Or doesnt work, however you want to look at it.

I don't know why I come in converter threads any more.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lemons12
Or, instead of offering up ptc like Its an inferior product you could offer one of yank or circle ds cheaper converters.

Lolololol on revmaxx, cool you got a rebuilt cavalier converter for 100$ cheaper than you could have got a nice converter. Awesome.

You want a cheaper converter? 550$ shipped for a brand new ptc with a transmission cooler. You can not beat that for the price, period. My buddies stock Internals full weight with exhaust lid and ptc went 1.5x short times in 1700+DA.
I know circle d sells one for right in that price as well so they are an option.. as I'm sure yank fti etc.. Just talk to them and see what they have to offer.

And lol at its not a race car just a normal car.. All the more reason to go with a good converter. Go ahead and buy a pos tci, let me know how that lock up works for you.... Or doesnt work, however you want to look at it.

I don't know why I come in converter threads any more.
Yes that was a helpful post! Thank You.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

I can't tell if that was serious or sarcasm.

If it was serious, you're welcome.

If it was sarcasm, you didn't comprehend the post. I was being blunt with my post with a hint of sarcasm but I was giving info along with prices and reasons. I get sick of seeing the samy threads about converters ten times a week. This website as well as Google has a plethora of information all at our disposal, it is up to each individual to decide what should be brushed off and what is backed by hard evidence.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

I can't tell if that was serious or sarcasm.

If it was serious, you're welcome.

If it was sarcasm, you didn't comprehend the post. I was being blunt with my post with a hint of sarcasm but I was giving info along with prices and reasons. I get sick of seeing the samy threads about converters ten times a week. This website as well as Google has a plethora of information all at our disposal, it is up to each individual to decide what should be brushed off and what is backed by hard evidence.
It was half and half lol.

but maybe you are missing my point, I started this thread. With a simple question. There are probably hundreds of thousands of cars with torque converters in them that are not the Big Three that all of you high tech racers use. The converter that WAS in my car came from Aamco most likely the down right cheapest thing on the market and it lasted over a hundred thousand miles, and was still working as it was removed from my car. I just wanted what was an inexpensive converter better than the Aamco one for around $300. And most people started to blast me, unfair and unreasonable! No reason to treat me like a piece of Crap because I do not agree with what some people think. Most all of what I do with my car I either get the parts from a Vendor here or have one of the venders here do the work. I contribute so why bust my *****....thats all...no hard feelings...no trouble intended.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

It was half and half lol.

but maybe you are missing my point, I started this thread. With a simple question. There are probably hundreds of thousands of cars with torque converters in them that are not the Big Three that all of you high tech racers use. The converter that WAS in my car came from Aamco most likely the down right cheapest thing on the market and it lasted over a hundred thousand miles, and was still working as it was removed from my car. I just wanted what was an inexpensive converter better than the Aamco one for around $300. And most people started to blast me, unfair and unreasonable! No reason to treat me like a piece of Crap because I do not agree with what some people think. Most all of what I do with my car I either get the parts from a Vendor here or have one of the venders here do the work. I contribute so why bust my *****....thats all...no hard feelings...no trouble intended.
Well, as many have noticed on here, I'm not on any band wagons. I call things like i see them. My top three converter choices vary greatly from most on here.

My advice was not based on how long it would last.. It was based on how enjoyable or the opposite it would be while daily driving.

Now.. You need to understand, not only hardcore racers benefit from a higher quality, notice quality not price was the term used, converter. For instance, tci is famous for not locking up.. I don't know about you but I don't want my daily driver free revving at 60mph/3000rpms. Not only would it not be enjoyable, it would suffer mpg wise as well.

I'm on my phone, I obviously missed any question you had.. Or thought they had already been shown attention.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Read almost all the posts.. I saw no questions unanswered.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Sure I would Love to get a Yank but......I just don't have that kind of money after my engine build.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would choose a ptc over a yank personally.

Contrary to what 95% of what the users say on here, there are more companies than yank and circle d out there that live up to a awesome performing converter.*I am not putting either company down, both are top notch. Just trying to open some eyes.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Addict

Well I bought a RevMax and it seems good. I went into their plant it is just around the corner and they gave me a tour. I figure a nice building , been in business for a while probably a good converter. Some people here say that they like them, so what the hell gave it a shot.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

If it makes you happy, that's all that matter.

I was just simply giving my opinion on what some of your options could be. I have my own Outlook on things instead of some of the brain washed 2009+ join date guys.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

If it makes you happy, that's all that matter.

I was just simply giving my opinion on what some of your options could be. I have my own Outlook on things instead of some of the brain washed 2009+ join date guys.
Yes Sir I'm with ya. We cool?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

No reason not to be.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nope, not at all suggesting that PTC is an inferior product I just wanted to let the op know that a PTC would be non-billet, if that mattered to him. I was simply suggesting a lower priced converter that was still quality since that was what he was originally looking for. Hence the recommendation of a PTC or the Circle D that I went with--both non billet, but both good converters.

As indicated by my post you quoted, I wish I would've went higher with my converter stall speed, and have actually been seriously considering a PTC as a replacement in the future because of the good things I have heard you and others say about them. Hope that clarifies my original intent for my post.

Scott
Old 10-08-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

You want a cheaper converter? 550$ shipped for a brand new ptc with a transmission cooler. You can not beat that for the price, period. My buddies stock Internals full weight with exhaust lid and ptc went 1.5x short times in 1700+DA..
My advice was not based on how long it would last.. It was based on how enjoyable or the opposite it would be while daily driving.

Now.. You need to understand, not only hardcore racers benefit from a higher quality, notice quality not price was the term used, converter. For instance, tci is famous for not locking up.. I don't know about you but I don't want my daily driver free revving at 60mph/3000rpms. Not only would it not be enjoyable, it would suffer mpg wise as well.
I bought a revmax based off of reviews of there ebay store with all the positive reviews on them, The Diesel truck world uses them as well and they give revmax good reviews as well as the GTO/Fbody people who have revmax converters as well.. If a revmax converter can handle a diesel truck then I think it can handle a LT1.. These are not TCI converters.. Revmax converters are notorious for making a good product at a cheap price.. If that is wrong then tell me why??

You can get a revmax converter for 249.99 and around 270.00 shipped.. Spend 30.00 on a tranny cooler and you have a 300.00 converter/cooler setup.. Thats pretty good..

Quick Reply: TQ converter