Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problems

Hi, I'm wondering if theres a transmission expert anywhere here that can help me with a problem. I have a conversion car that uses a 4L65E trans, if I were to be able to post my tune up here (I assume thats possible)(or email it) can an 'expert' take a look at it with EFI Live as I am told it shows more transmission detail, and you can not see any problems with HP Tuners.
The problem is it goes into 'Hot Mode' after approx 5-10 mins and then out of it after 5-10 mins again and again. It is definately not getting hot as I have the trans and an auxillary cooler. I have masked it up by making all the normal shift data the same as the hot mode data (shift speeds, TCC lock and all) so I cant really tell that its happening now, but I want to get the cruise control working and it will throw it out of cruise every few minutes ???
Anyone able to help me with this?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:42 AM
Teching In

So nobody knows anything about what else causes a transmission to go into "hot mode" other than getting hot.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Unplug your maf and see if you get the same symptoms.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Hey Diet thanks, so can I run up to highway speeds for that long with the maf disconected ? I mean will it drive properly. And what would it indicate if it doesnt have the symtoms anymore?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

It will revert to SD tables. MAF errors can cause transmissions to do strange things. This rules that out.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can send me the files you have I'll take a look at your tune as soon as I can devote the time to it.

I would suggest taking a long hard look at the reported temp vs actual temp. Then take a look at what the tuning tables are set at.... indeed you could max out the temp tables with the interest of seeing how that changes the symptom.

I would guess that you have an issue with the pressure manifold (temp sensor is located on it) or a problem in the harness itself.

g
Old 11-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Hey Gilbert thanks, yes I have maxed out the tranmission overtemp setting to max and changed the time to max and the reset time to min etc but none of these made any difference (always 5-10 mins on freeway) At first I didnt have a radiator trans cooler just an air one out front (recording trans temps of around 65-70) so I thought there may be a min setting in there not shown on HP Tuners so I got another radiator with built in cooler and ran it thru that after the air one but no difference. I will definately get the file to you to take a look if you could spare the time.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Say Gilbert did you get a chance to take a look at the file I sent you a couple weeks ago regarding the transmission problem ?