Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And my 4L80E swap begins

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Makes sense then. It was engaging just fine even with the bleed off, and no escaping air when I had a friend blow air in while I was covering the holes.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the trans is looking good, cant wait to meet up for a cruise or something when that things done.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

It will escape out the reverse side because we remove the center seal in the drum for the "dual feed" modification.
Normal, our separator plate blocks the leak here.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you sir
Old 03-13-2012, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Alright, hadn't had much time to work on the car. Have to finish the motorcycle I'm working on at my in-laws, so I can get it out of their garage. And......My wife and I just found out today that we're having triplets!! We've known for 4 weeks now that she's been pregnant, but went to the Dr. today for the first visit and she wanted an ultrasound to make sure everything was alright since her last pregnancy was a miscarriage. Well, to our surprise there was 3 little ones in there. Kinda a game changer when you were expecting only 1, lol. I'm ecstatic, but don't know if I'll be keeping the car for much longer. Either way, now I gotta get this thing done ASAP.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Congrats to you and your wife!

Mike
Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LongIsland63SS409
Congrats to you and your wife!

Mike
Thank you!

Ok, been a hectic week. Didn't have a chance to touch the car, but should have a day or two this week to work on it. But, the other day I had an idea about the transbrake switch. I've been trying to figure where to put it, so that I don't accidentally hit it but also have quick access to shift it out of first. I got to reminiscing about my first vehicle, a 1987 ford f-150. And, for whatever reason, I remember the bright light switch was a push button switch on the floorboard (as are a lot of them in older vehicles). Well I got to figuring "why not do that with the transbrake". First thought that came to mind was what if I accidentally hit the switch? Then I figured I'd just copy my line lock and wire in an activation switch. So, I bought one of those $5 push button/momentary starter switches, and a flat toggle switch from autozone. I'm gonna drill and mount the push button switch on the "dead pedal" and then wire a good ground to it from the toggle switch, which I will mount on the flat panel under the steering wheel. I think it will work out great, and if not I'll just man up and buy one of those handle switches.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Only disadvantage I can think of is that bracket racers have shown that the foot isn't as fast/consistent as a thumb.....but if the 'brake is just for test and tune, I don't see why not.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you need the adapter harness to convert 4l60 to 4l80? Ive got one laying around
Old 03-19-2012, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slow67
Only disadvantage I can think of is that bracket racers have shown that the foot isn't as fast/consistent as a thumb.....but if the 'brake is just for test and tune, I don't see why not.
I'd think it'd be relevant to how much practice you have at it. I can understand how the consistency can differ, depending on what type of shoe you're wearing that day and what not. I only do maybe one actual competition a year, the rest is just out having fun at the track.

Originally Posted by cjmatt
Do you need the adapter harness to convert 4l60 to 4l80? Ive got one laying around
Made my own from the plug I got with the transmission.

I did make some progress today. Covered the hole where the shifter goes, drilled some holes, got some bolts and spacers for the shifter, and installed the shifter. Looks good and was easier than I thought. Also began wiring and installing the switches for the transbrake. I don't have pics yet, but will when I get it all installed.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, made some progress this week, and also ran into a snag last night trying to install the tranny. I'll get to that later, but let's start out with the switch Idea I had. Like I said, I installed the momentary switch into the dead pedal.

Name:  DSCN0843.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  60.1 KB

I also installed an activation switch underneath the hatch switch, under the dash. This keeps me from accidentally activating the transbrake if I hit the button with my foot. Tested the wiring and all works well.

Name:  DSCN0844.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  71.2 KB

Then it was time to fill in the nice hole where the manual shifter was.

Name:  e8a8abca.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  113.8 KB

That was an in progress pic, as I added more screws and drilled a hole for the shifter cable. It's all buttoned up now and the console is back in. Didn't take any pics as there are plenty of them showing a stock auto console, lol.

Then it was back to the tranny and assembling the VB setup. And as a Hayne's manual would say, installation is essential the reverse of removal. First up was getting the check ***** back in there, with Jake's VB all you need is 4 check ***** in these locations

Name:  DSCN0849.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  145.8 KB

Then install the Reverse severo, valvebody (new gasket), and parking prawl bracket.

Name:  DSCN0851.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  DSCN0850.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  115.9 KB

And, with Jake's VB, I needed to add a check ball and spring in this location

Name:  DSCN0853.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  123.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0852.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  92.0 KB

Then it was time to install the separator plate included with the VB kit and the pressure switch manifold

Name:  DSCN0854.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  107.9 KB

Then after that it's the normal things to finish up putting the tranny together

Name:  DSCN0856.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  93.7 KB

Now, let's talk about the snag I ran into. Got the tranny on the tranny jack and put it up and in the car. Lined it up and started a couple of bolts. After tightening them down, I noticed that the converter was really tight against the flexplate, and couldn't get over the "humps" where the mounting holes were. I took it back off and dropped the tranny down. The converter was properly set in, but I noticed that the mounting tabs on the converter stuck out fairly well.

Now, when I ordered the converter I told Revmax that it's for a 4l80e going into a 4th Gen f-body. There's a good chance that it was probably built with that in mind and they made it to fix with a stock flexplate. I didn't mention that I was using a spacer with the flexplate. So, I'm gonna give them a call tomorrow and find out if they built it with the purpose of not having to use the spacer.

Either way, here's a pic of the converter installed if anyone has an idea if the tabs protrude out farther than normal

Name:  b53705c7.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  98.1 KB
Old 03-26-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Talked with Revmax this morning. They didn't build the converter to bolt onto a stock flexplate. They said that the converter isn't on the pump all they way, and there should be 3 distinct clicks to get the converter on. I got two clicks and then it moved about a 1/4" in when I installed it. I only messed with the converter for 15 minutes after taking the trans back out, so looks like I'll be playing with it a little more to get it seated correctly. Man, I guess I'm just too used to manuals, lol.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Transmission is in!!

No pics as I was busy working and forgot the camera again. Finally got the converter seated after a little persuasion with a rubber mallet. Was only able to get 5 bolts in. The 1 o'clock bolt hole didn't line up right, but all the others did.

Other good news is that I don't have to cut the slip yoke down. It slides in far enough to get the driveshaft into the rear end.

However, the y pipe does not fit. I custom made it for when I had the t56 in there, so now with the 4l80e and the new crossmember it's contacting the middle of the crossmember. I started banging away at the pipe to make it fit for now just to get it running. I ran out of time, but almost got it dented enough. Looks like it will severely hinder flow, so I need to make a new one ASAP.

So only thing left is to mount the cooler and run lines to it, bolt in driveshaft/exhaust, fill her with fluid, load an auto tune into the car, and start her up!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Sub'ed for future use

What is the best year 80 to get?

Great write you Bro, thanks for taking the time to do it!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

the company you bought your slip yoke from said they are on back order...would this work the same?
http://www.alloutracing.com/store/bm...oke-yk004.html
Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

As long as it's for a th400, the splines will fit. The u joint ends will depend on what driveshaft you're using. I was using my PST, so it had 1350 ends. If you're using a stocker, I'm not sure what ends they have. Also have to take in consideration what output shaft you have on the 80e, whether it's fully splined like mine, or only splined part way up cause it's a bolt on yoke.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
What is the best year 80 to get?
I like pre '97's. They're usually cheaper, builders say they have a beefier overdrive unit, and the cooler lines are next to each other and you don't have to deal with the extension of the rear cooler.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
As long as it's for a th400, the splines will fit. The u joint ends will depend on what driveshaft you're using. I was using my PST, so it had 1350 ends. If you're using a stocker, I'm not sure what ends they have. Also have to take in consideration what output shaft you have on the 80e, whether it's fully splined like mine, or only splined part way up cause it's a bolt on yoke.
my shaft is just like yours lol but im going to be using the stock drive shaft..
its from a 2003 exress
thanks for your writeup btw
Old 03-30-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maiden voyage! Did a write entire and a quick tune to get it to idle and scaled for the 42lb injectors. Took her out for a drive....and no 3rd gear . I'm also getting a P0740 code as well. I tried to get it to go into 3rd via hptuners scanner but no dice. I'm currently working on the wiring side of it to see what's going on. 1st and 2nd seem great though, lol.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:42 AM
On The Tree

I'm sure Mike, Stephen (elit3), or slow67 will chime in and help you out. I have an 80 from Jakes in my car and love it. I beat the **** out of it, every chance I get and any of the guys at Jakes will tell you how good I treat the tranny lol. Watch out for Stephen (elit3) though, he'll start to hate you, like he does me for some reason... lmao jk Well that's what he tells me anyways.. lol BTW awesome thread.

Quick Reply: And my 4L80E swap begins