Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And my 4L80E swap begins

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
I like pre '97's. They're usually cheaper, builders say they have a beefier overdrive unit, and the cooler lines are next to each other and you don't have to deal with the extension of the rear cooler.
Thanks for the info man!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, after a couple days of testing theories, wires, etc, I still have no 3rd, 4th, or tcc lock up. Here's a run down of what I've tested and found out.

First of all, 1st and 2nd are running great. No slipping, feels good, etc. Also, reverse is strong as well, doesn't need extra gas to get going like you hear when reverse goes on 4l80's.

fluid level is good. trans hasn't seen a temp above 170 so far....as I've only done about 1 min drives on the road to test 3rd gear.

The transbrake will intermediately work. And, when it does work....it starts pushing through it at around 2500 rpms. Transbrake ties into b shift solenoid (2-3 shift).

Trans will not go into 3rd or 4th, even when commanded via hp tuners, neither will the TCC.

Tested all the wiring. When commanding 3rd, it sends ground to plug and I can hear the solenoid. When commanding TCC lock up, the plug is getting a ground to the proper wire, but don't hear a solenoid engaging. Also getting the proper ground when activating the transbrake.

I am getting a p0740 code for the TCC. This could simply mean that this solenoid is bad (reused from stock VB), or something is wrong with wiring in the trans.

I'm also getting a p0300, I know that this could sometimes cause TCC not to lock up, but it's not even locking up when commanded. It's also an intermediate code that's only popped up a couple times since I haven't changed the tables for detecting a miss yet, and I have a pretty big cam in there.

Next step is to pop the pan back of and see what's going on. There's a couple possibilities on what I believe is going on. It's possible that the valve is stuck, since the solenoids are activating. Or the solenoid may be bad (even though I can hear it work?). I could have simply forgot to plug the tcc solenoid, lol. I don't think it's the direct clutch/drum as reverse is strong and not slipping....and 3rd isn't even engaging. I'd imagine if there was pressure bleedoff I'd still get 3rd, but would slip.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok, after a couple days of testing theories, wires, etc, I still have no 3rd, 4th, or tcc lock up. Here's a run down of what I've tested and found out.

First of all, 1st and 2nd are running great. No slipping, feels good, etc. Also, reverse is strong as well, doesn't need extra gas to get going like you hear when reverse goes on 4l80's.

fluid level is good. trans hasn't seen a temp above 170 so far....as I've only done about 1 min drives on the road to test 3rd gear.

The transbrake will intermediately work. And, when it does work....it starts pushing through it at around 2500 rpms. Transbrake ties into b shift solenoid (2-3 shift).

Trans will not go into 3rd or 4th, even when commanded via hp tuners, neither will the TCC.

Tested all the wiring. When commanding 3rd, it sends ground to plug and I can hear the solenoid. When commanding TCC lock up, the plug is getting a ground to the proper wire, but don't hear a solenoid engaging. Also getting the proper ground when activating the transbrake.

I am getting a p0740 code for the TCC. This could simply mean that this solenoid is bad (reused from stock VB), or something is wrong with wiring in the trans.

I'm also getting a p0300, I know that this could sometimes cause TCC not to lock up, but it's not even locking up when commanded. It's also an intermediate code that's only popped up a couple times since I haven't changed the tables for detecting a miss yet, and I have a pretty big cam in there.

Next step is to pop the pan back of and see what's going on. There's a couple possibilities on what I believe is going on. It's possible that the valve is stuck, since the solenoids are activating. Or the solenoid may be bad (even though I can hear it work?). I could have simply forgot to plug the tcc solenoid, lol. I don't think it's the direct clutch/drum as reverse is strong and not slipping....and 3rd isn't even engaging. I'd imagine if there was pressure bleedoff I'd still get 3rd, but would slip.
Give me a call in the shop tomorrow.
I don't think it's a sticking valve. Sounds like a low pressure in 3rd condition. It may be related to the checkball and spring that go in the valve body under the pressure switch (ie. installed backwards).

If the transbrake comes on, and it slips at all, you have a low pressure condition to either the 3rd circuit or the low band, or the band pin is too short. Otherwise it WON'T slip. Usually if it drives through the brake, it's a band apply pin that is too short.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
Give me a call in the shop tomorrow.
I don't think it's a sticking valve. Sounds like a low pressure in 3rd condition. It may be related to the checkball and spring that go in the valve body under the pressure switch (ie. installed backwards).

If the transbrake comes on, and it slips at all, you have a low pressure condition to either the 3rd circuit or the low band, or the band pin is too short. Otherwise it WON'T slip. Usually if it drives through the brake, it's a band apply pin that is too short.
Here's the pic when I installed the spring and check ball. Put the ball in first then the spring

Name:  DSCN0853.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  123.8 KB

Name:  DSCN0852.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  92.0 KB

I'll give ya a call tomorrow, Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:50 PM
FormerVendor

Hmm,
Well that is correct.
You can call the shop tonight for that matter. I'm working late trying to catch up.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Meh, I'm getting tired and trying to stay up and watch this game. I'll just call on my way out to the shop tomorrow. Thank you though!
Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, got to work on it yesterday and talked to Jake and his crew on the phone for a bit.

I took the pan off and tested wiring there. All was good except for tcc solenoid wiring. I bench tested the solenoid and it worked, so testing the wiring showed that it was not getting the 12v, but was getting ground when commanded. Traced wires and saw no reason it shouldn't be getting 12v. So I ended up just tying the 12v tcc wire into another solenoid 12v wire. TCC solenoid now clicks when commanded and no more P0740.

However, I popped out the 2-3 solenoid and tried moving the valve. Valve took a lot of force to move back, and when it did, it wouldn't come forward. Great, so I think this is the problem and a simple enough fix. I take the VB out, and begin to take it apart. During that process, the valve became unstuck and moved freely. So I reassemble the vb and put it back in the trans and go for a test drive. Still no 3rd or 4th, and now it feels like sometimes it's not in 1st and only 2nd. Transbrake doesn't engage at all now. When in manual low, sometimes it will free rev and then go into gear...and that definitely feels like 1st. Hard to tell what gear it's in when I'm in D cause of this 4000 stall. And TCC lock up is not happening either when commanded through hptuners, however this could be because it's only in 2nd gear.

So talked to Jake again and he believes I might have a low pressure problem, which could be true since I did not open the pump to take a look at what's going on or rebuild it. So I'm in the process of locating a gauge to hook up to the trans to see what kinda pressure it's putting out.

And, not getting any SES lights now

Last edited by black00ssFL; 04-04-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like on the first page his check list on the board in the back ground and one of the points is "check everything" hahaha
Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mprete
i like on the first page his check list on the board in the back ground and one of the points is "check everything" hahaha
It's a good point when dealing with an automatic transmission!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got a pressure gauge on the tranny today. Showing 270-240 psi in park/neutral and all gears. Emailed Jake and he says that's way too high, only reverse should be that high. So, tranny has to come back out and gonna take a look at the pump.

And to top it off, found out one of the fans stopped working, so gotta figure what's going on with that too (already swapped relays, and that's not it). Either way, I think I'm gonna take a weekend off from it. Too frustrated to mess with it right now.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn man, I hope you get it figured out as I was going to do the same build with my 4L80E. I think I may just throw it in the car and see how long it lasts now.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya, can't blame anyone but myself on this one. I had everything out of the tranny and inspected everything else, but the pump. It's the little things that'll get ya.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get there man. I had my fair share of problems with my install, now I am making some tweaks and enjoying it. I went out a beat on it last sunday for about an hour. Make several 11lb pulls to about 6000-6200 and the car is wicked fast. I have 4.10's and thinking about going down to a 3.08 or 3.55 gear. The car pulls real hard, but rpms real fast.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:52 PM

good luck man, hope it works out. i'm still squeezing my 4l60 for what its worth
Old 04-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Default nice post

enjoyed your post it has been very informative I have two questions the first is the flywheel I got from chevy doesnt say which is face so do the indents for converter go in or ut towards the trans i have it mounted with the indents towards the motor and it seems like the converter is to much gap when you line up the holes. The second question is the yoke on mine is bolted directly to the tailshaft do i have to find a different yoke or just take the bolt out thanks bob
Old 04-07-2012, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

The indents go out towards the transmission. However, you're still gonna have a big gap unless you get a spacer behind the flexplate too.

You're gonna have to remove the bolt on yoke and either get the tailshaft machined down behind the splines, cut a normal slip yoke, or get a specifically made slip yoke for the bolt on tail shafts.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Default thanks

already have the spacer in just have the indents facing wrong way now going to have do some research to find what yoke i need thanks
Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Alright. Finally got back at it some this weekend. Pulled the pan again Friday night and then pulled the boost valve out of the pump. Not too familiar with how it works, but the piston in the valve gets "hung up" pulling it in and out. It doesn't take a whole lot of force to pull or push it in when it does get hung up, but it gets stuck enough where I can turn it upside down and it won't fall out. Seems that the spring setup is there to push it in, but when the spring releases it should move back out on it's own...and that's the way it's getting hung up.

Sent an email to Jake with some pics and explaining what's going on and he says it's a bad valve. One is on the way and hopefully this solves my problems, or at least most of them.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm still here. Waiting on new boost valve and give it another go around. I also ordered the updated wiring harness as well since the old plug was leaking a little. I have a feeling that the high pressure isn't the cause of all my problems. But we'll get it in there and see what she does.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm still here. Waiting on new boost valve and give it another go around. I also ordered the updated wiring harness as well since the old plug was leaking a little. I have a feeling that the high pressure isn't the cause of all my problems. But we'll get it in there and see what she does.
Boost valve was sent, should be there soon this week

Quick Reply: And my 4L80E swap begins