Sponsored by:

4l80e shifting, man. vs elect.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

Default 4l80e shifting, man. vs elect.

lets see if i can explain my question-lets say you have a 4l80e, and a B & M
pro rachet shifter, and a paddle shifter (actually gonna choise one or the other)
does the trans still use the shift solinoids if using the B & M shifter, would it shift more on demand (less delay) vs using elects to shift it
i know like an HD 3 kit there would be no elects, but not sure about like using an aftermarket controller, if moving the linkage its still using the sols.
where im at is wanting to retain the stock int. look(tried to hide the roll bar), col shift., and was going to add a paddle shifter, but if using an aftermarket shifter i would have better control, thats where i would go
i had the B & M in my other car, and when i programmed it to manuel, the shifts were pretty good
they have a wireless paddle shifter that goes behind the steering wheel, would work out pretty good
hope this make sence, lol
Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

The optishift controller supports paddles
Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The TransGo-3 kit has some issues in my experience and it's one of the big reasons we quit using it. It is nice in that is is pure hydraulic, so shifting is controlled without any electrical.

The manual control box we build/use still uses the shift solenoids to control the shift valves, and in doing so it takes a very small amount of time to fill the cavity and move the shift valve, and as in any case for the oil to flow to the clutches and apply them, but we haven't had any complaints of delayed shifting like we did with the TransGo kit.

I solved some of the issues with the TransGo kit before we quit using it, but there was still the problem of no 1-2 shift at WOT while hot. I could usually correct this but not 100%.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would rather elect to use the shifter with a MVB (with a control box), as it will use the bands and over-run clutches, otherwise you run the risk of rolling a sprag/roller clutch.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Veteran

let me see if i can word this diff to see what in trying to get at
i have a Comp. Shift controller, and use the column shift-lets forget the floor shift for now
if i switch the controller to man. mode, then use the col shift to shift thru 1-2-3(racing) i assume its using the sols. to shift
now if i had a paddle shifter to control the shifts(or any kind of switch), would the shifts be any diff, or the same shift speed no matter what method you use to change gears
i tried racing with the col shift, but with the power and trying to hit each gear its not working out, so i was either going to change to a paddle shifter, or B & M floor shift where your mech. changing gears
i prefer the paddle shifter to keep the stock int look if theres no diff in shift command
if i shift at 6200, i dont want the trans to finally shift 6800, lol-i can adjust as needed to hit the mark, but if there was less delay with one or the other, thats the direction i might go
Old 02-01-2012, 08:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

There are some fundamental differences between the wayit shifts when manually shifting and when you let the controller shift.

The major difference is that when you manually engage a gear, in Low and 2nd, the band must come on/off.

On a manual 1-2 shift, when the shifter is moved, intermediate oil has to kick off the low servo which is quite a volume of fluid, apply the intermediate servo, AND apply the intermediate clutches.

This is overall quite a bit of fluid volume, whereas on a auto shift, it only has to apply the intermediates and stroke the accumulator piston some.

All this is assuming a stock or near stock 4L80E. Our hydraulics work a bit differently
Old 02-02-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Veteran

thanks Jake-so i assume the valve that the ext linkage is hooked to adds an add. step in the shift process, as opposed to, lets say being in the drive postion, and let the computer do its thing(thats where i think i was going with this thing, lol)
not beating this to death, just trying to get my best option for making a pass
if i wasnt trying to keep the stock int look(see Feb Super Chevy mag), it would be a non issue, i would just install a B & M rachet shifter and be done, heck with the col shift, lol
i made a couple 9 sec passes just letting the computer shift at a pre programed RPM, but if i had to pedal it, then it shifts and you cant hit it again or it downshifts, something you dont want under power, lol
Old 02-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
uld just install a B & M rachet shifter and be done, heck with the col shift, lol
i made a couple 9 sec passes just letting the computer shift at a pre programed RPM, but if i had to pedal it, then it shifts and you cant hit it again or it downshifts, something you dont want under power, lol
Program it so that it won't downshift at WOT (or at least at much slower speeds).

Quick Reply: 4l80e shifting, man. vs elect.