Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the best place to buy a highly dependable 4l80e?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Well today all the guys at Jakes Performance got the different yoke on my driveshaft,got the transcooler mounted up after fighting it awhile,and pulled the center console to run the optishift controller. Theres a little more buttoning up to do tomorrow &then the trans (stage 5) is going in. I can't say enough about all the guys....they answered all my questions(I had a lot). They also were talking about using my car as an example on how to do a proper 4l80e swap so look for that thread soon.
Car should be done tomorrow and just in time to run it down the track to test the new tranny. Can't wait to leave my Illinois marks behind here in Texas literally. Lol
Old 04-12-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks man, appreciate it! Now I'm sure you can see why I did not want to tell you my LS1Tech username and why I am embarrassed by it lol. For anyone watching the thread, don't let his mild-sounding username or the lack of info about the car fool you, this car is a monster, and very very well done. It's always very nice to see someone first hand who chooses to do it right there first time, and to be around the product of that care and attention to detail. Car is a '99 Z28, D1SC'd badboy that previously had a 4L60E and a PY3600 converter. We jerked out the old tranny in about 30 minutes or so, then got caught up with a trans cooler issue, but after that was sorted out, work began on the Optishift and at the moment the car is nearly ready to shove the new tranny in and button it all up RC is one cool guy, and all you Illinois people out there better be careful. I had plans to go out with a girl tomorrow night but I am very likely going to skip out on that to introduce him to some of the Texas LS1Techers and take it up to North Star to test it all out and see it move

Some teaser pics from the day.

Old 4L60E
whats the best place to buy a highly dependable 4l80e?-otf42.jpg

4L60E after pulling it
whats the best place to buy a highly dependable 4l80e?-bqzqj.jpg

Stock flexplate
whats the best place to buy a highly dependable 4l80e?-y7e3k.jpg

New TCI SFI rated flexplate
whats the best place to buy a highly dependable 4l80e?-7stq1.jpg

Conversion kit all laid out, billet converter, Optishift, TCI SFI Flexplate, Crossmember, Transmission cooler, fittings, Yoke etc.
whats the best place to buy a highly dependable 4l80e?-upk8m.jpg

Last edited by SnIpEz; 04-12-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

I might have to come out to north star and check it out as well. I wouldn't mind seeing how close my car can keep up to his bumper...
Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

Wink

Ill probably see the back of your bumper.lol its a slow pig
Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You are going to enjoy the 4L80. No more worry about breaking 4L60's. I just got my car buttoned up but so far my Jake's 4L80 has held up to several dyno pulls and a couple of pulls on the street which is more that I can say about any of the 4L60's I went through.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6 Z28
Ill probably see the back of your bumper.lol its a slow pig
Are you trying to sandbag me? I saw what stephen wrote up there.. lol Also, going by the level 5 80 you're getting tells me your car is alot more stout than my over built level 2, to handle the 400+ hp my car is putting down..
Old 04-14-2012, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

No I wouldn't sandbag ya.lol I would of took it to the track tonight but everything didn't get buttoned up until 10:20-10:30 I think but on a side note....I FINALLY KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO STAY IN FULL BOOST WOOOHOOO!LOL the 80e is a BEAST and the converter is pretty nice it shifts 1-2right so much smoother than my old 60e. I honestly can't say enough about everyone there at the shop Mike,Jake,Chris &Stephen busted their *** these last 2 days to get everything squared away. They are supposed to close at 6the and they all lastnight stayed until 9ish and tonight stayed until 11:30 I don't know any other shop that does what these guys have done for me. They will always have me as a lifetime customer. On a side note for those of you that know the guys you should ask them about "Dragon Spit" you will be in for a good laugh Stephen can tell ya.lol
Old 04-14-2012, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Hey jgarza54 heard your all motor is one insain setup. Mine as it sits is just a completely stock ls6 with lt's magnaflow cb and a d1 with 8#'s gotta make this stocker last until I can afford the gargoyle.badboy lol either a 408 or if im lucky a built up ERL superdeck setup. It dyno'd 522 rwhp back home but as soon as I got it o the street to test the converter 2-3rd shift would bounce off the limiter so I couldn't have any fun. You will love the stage 5. I joked with the guys about if I brake this theres a problem. I can't wait to see when jake knocks out the spragless setup he's working on making perfect.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

No I wouldn't sandbag ya.lol I would of took it to the track tonight but everything didn't get buttoned up until 10:20-10:30 I think but on a side note....I FINALLY KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO STAY IN FULL BOOST WOOOHOOO!LOL the 80e is a BEAST and the converter is pretty nice it shifts 1-2right so much smoother than my old 60e. I honestly can't say enough about everyone there at the shop Mike,Jake,Chris &Stephen busted their *** these last 2 days to get everything squared away. They are supposed to close at 6the and they all lastnight stayed until 9ish and tonight stayed until 11:30 I don't know any other shop that does what these guys have done for me. They will always have me as a lifetime customer. On a side note for those of you that know the guys you should ask them about "Dragon Spit" you will be in for a good laugh Stephen can tell ya.lol
I keep telling people about those guys up there. I can't say enough about them. They are cool as **** and if there's ever a problem they will help you in every which way possible to get the problem fixed.. You will definitely enjoy the 80 from Jakes and won't regret doing it.

Hey jgarza54 heard your all motor is one insain setup. Mine as it sits is just a completely stock ls6 with lt's magnaflow cb and a d1 with 8#'s gotta make this stocker last until I can afford the gargoyle.badboy lol either a 408 or if im lucky a built up ERL superdeck setup. It dyno'd 522 rwhp back home but as soon as I got it o the street to test the converter 2-3rd shift would bounce off the limiter so I couldn't have any fun. You will love the stage 5. I joked with the guys about if I brake this theres a problem. I can't wait to see when jake knocks out the spragless setup he's working on making perfect.
As far as my insane setup, don't let them lie to you. Stephen exaggerates about my cam only ls1 all the time... LMAO JK Stephen.. I'm sure Stephen has told you how much he "hates me"... lol Na, joking aside, I think my motor does ok NA, for being Dallas stock of course. I was going to head out to the track, but it started to drizzle a bit around my place, so I decided to keep the car in the garage. I stay about 30 miles from North Star (same track you were going to make some test passes) and would have hated to get caught in any rain with these, slick like, hoosier drag radials. Well, enjoy your new 80. I'm sure you will have fun with it as you get it dailed in.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:31 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
RPM Transmissions HANDS DOWN!!!!
This! RPM
Old 04-14-2012, 02:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jgarza54
As far as my insane setup, don't let them lie to you. Stephen exaggerates about my cam only ls1 all the time... LMAO JK Stephen.. I'm sure Stephen has told you how much he "hates me"... lol Na, joking aside, I think my motor does ok NA, for being Dallas stock of course. I was going to head out to the track, but it started to drizzle a bit around my place, so I decided to keep the car in the garage. I stay about 30 miles from North Star (same track you were going to make some test passes) and would have hated to get caught in any rain with these, slick like, hoosier drag radials. Well, enjoy your new 80. I'm sure you will have fun with it as you get it dailed in.
Hahaha I straight up told him I am a nuthugger for your car, Chris even showed him the video of it just idling in the shop. I didn't go into too much detail about the build, but I did tell him it was a hell of a setup that ran 5's....... in the QUARTER MILE Mike mentioned how every time you come in you casually whip out a new video of you destroying cars that are lighter in weight and higher horsepower.

As a matter of fact, you are right, I did indeed mention to him how much I hate you and how much I seem to hate you more every time you bring that bad boy to the shop . It's a bummer about the weather and the timing of everything, would have loved to see you guys go at it, would have made for a very entertaining race. I haven't had the chance to really see RC's car in full on ***** to the wall mode, but I do know your car is insane for what it is and seeing two black '99 Z28s, one a Procharged monster, the other a Naturally Aspirated freak of nature, would have been pretty damn cool. Maybe RC will come down for a visit sometime
Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Id love to come back sometime but after that tranny install my pocket book wont like me for at least 5-6 months.lol oh well it was worth it and Stephen the ghetto wrigged up location of the transbrake button,I think ill keep it like that for quite awhile,so many hillbilly's back home will love it.lol it adds character.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Id love to come back sometime but after that tranny install my pocket book wont like me for at least 5-6 months.lol oh well it was worth it and Stephen the ghetto wrigged up location of the transbrake button,I think ill keep it like that for quite awhile,so many hillbilly's back home will love it.lol it adds character.
Haha, well that's perfect, gives me time to finish my 370ci and Procharger Well I'm glad to see you like it, after you guys left last night Mike and I were preparing to leave and we both still felt a little funny about it but the fact that you like it definitely makes me feel at ease
Old 04-14-2012, 02:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

It was good to meet you and your Dad RC. I enjoyed seeing the smile on your face after the test drive. The transbrake launches and killer shifts tend to do that .
Now go get some track times and have fun!
Old 04-14-2012, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
It was good to meet you and your Dad RC. I enjoyed seeing the smile on your face after the test drive. The transbrake launches and killer shifts tend to do that .
Now go get some track times and have fun!
Haha I definitely will Jake! More than likely you guys will be getting a couple mustang kill videos soon.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Haha I definitely will Jake! More than likely you guys will be getting a couple mustang kill videos soon.
So, its been about a week with the new transplant, hows it going? How are you liking it so far? Any kills yet?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Teching In

I have been doing some 4L80 reserch and found this thread. Do you have any updates on how your trans is holding up?
Old 01-21-2014, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jakes 4l80e with a d3 trans brake. I leave it in 3rd, stage, hit button, floor it, let off button, car shifts 1-2-3 while I **** pants. Good times, messy cleanup. Would recommend
The following users liked this post:
Master Door Knocker (07-12-2022)

Quick Reply: whats the best place to buy a highly dependable 4l80e?