Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transgo = delayed 2-3? + MPH vs RPM upshift question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transgo = delayed 2-3? + MPH vs RPM upshift question

I recently had a trans built and a transgo shift kit was part of the build. When picking up the finished car/trans I was told that it did not want to shift on the 2-3 and was banging the limiter, most likely because the transgo kit requires the commanded 2-3 shift RPM to be much lower than the desired shift RPM. Has anyone heard of this? I was told to try commanding 6000 RPM's, since I wanted to shift at 6600 on the 2-3. Tried it, didn't work. Kept trying lower RPM's at the track and dropped it to as low as 5000 RPM's commanded, still didn't work and nailed the limiter at 6900.

Second question, meeting MPH requirements for WOT upshift. I read somewhere that you can just set the WOT MPH requirements at 0 and it will always meet the requirements and shift at the desired RPM. Any truth to that? I would try it, but the car is down after losing 4th gear. I've also been told that the MPH possibly has to be within a realistic range of the shift RPM ..not sure what to believe? Any help is appreciated!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Meant to post this in the tuning section but I guess it belongs here too. Also going to post in that section as well if it's cool with the mods.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

On the really high hp ****, I have had to command 5800 wot to get 3rd by 6600rpm. A lot has to happen AFTER the solenoid ground comes off (command shift) and the actual SHIFT. The 2nd gear servo is pressured from the opposite side to RELEASE the band (on in 2 and 4) and at the same time pressure up and feed 3rd through the stator support and input drum, applying the 3/4 clutch.

I suspect a leak in your 3rd oil feed (a number of places), and if the clearance in the 3/4 pack is to great it will take longer to shift....this is how I can tell a 3/4 pack is giving up the ghost a pass or so b4 it's gone for good.

Suggest running it with a gauge on the trans to monitor pressure, and u could double-check the work done on the valve body if your builder is not used to the trans go hd2 kit.....
Old 04-17-2012, 05:33 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Tan327
I recently had a trans built and a transgo shift kit was part of the build. When picking up the finished car/trans I was told that it did not want to shift on the 2-3 and was banging the limiter, most likely because the transgo kit requires the commanded 2-3 shift RPM to be much lower than the desired shift RPM. Has anyone heard of this? I was told to try commanding 6000 RPM's, since I wanted to shift at 6600 on the 2-3. Tried it, didn't work. Kept trying lower RPM's at the track and dropped it to as low as 5000 RPM's commanded, still didn't work and nailed the limiter at 6900.
I'm no trans expert, but this sounds like BS to me. The builder goofed the build and is trying to blame the Transgo kit. When the PCM commands the trans to shift, it should shift then RIGHT THEN! One possibility is that the builder didn't bother testing the 3rd accumulator check valve (near the servo assembly) and it is leaking, causing a very slow 2-3 shift. This can be fixed with the trans in the car. I installed the Transgo kit, can set the 2-3 shift at 6900 rpm and the rev limiter at 7000 without hitting the rev limiter.

Originally Posted by Tan327
Second question, meeting MPH requirements for WOT upshift. I read somewhere that you can just set the WOT MPH requirements at 0 and it will always meet the requirements and shift at the desired RPM. Any truth to that? I would try it, but the car is down after losing 4th gear. I've also been told that the MPH possibly has to be within a realistic range of the shift RPM ..not sure what to believe? Any help is appreciated!
Someone else will have to answer whether "0" MPH will work, but most people set a "realistic range". I calculate the MPH for about 6500 rpm and then enter about 10% less; this ensures I only need to change my shift rpm (between 6000 and 7000) to set the shift point.