Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4T65E Whining noise after freeway drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4T65E Whining noise after freeway drive

I have a 4T65E Trans. After about 30 miles driving at about 70mph, then driving around 25 - 30 mph, especially putting the selector in first gear. I hear a loud whining noise. The trans fluid was really high on the dipstick, past the bend. I let the car idle for 3 or 4 minutes still high. The fluid looks good.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These transmissions are VERY sensitive to trans fluid level.

Also I had the same situation and I lowered the fluid level, it helped some, but didn't solve it. I pulled out the Dexron 6 fluild and swapped back to Midwest Converters Dexron III fluild and the problem was immediately gone.

When the noise is noticeable, pull over and check the fluid, note it for bubbles/foaming. This is a sign the fluid is too high.

I think the Dexron 6 fluid has a higher level of expansion than Dexron III. I personally don't agree with the backwards compatibility of Dex 6 in Dex II/III applications. It is a thinner base oil, but I feel it expands too much when hot, so when cold the level is low to keep from being too full when fully hot.

Midwest Converters sells the Dex III fluid still that they spec for their converters, and is only around $2.50 a quart too. They are local for me, I don't know if they ship the oils. They are the only place I have found a replacement to GM's AutoTrac II fluid too.

Originally Posted by LA1impala
I have a 4T65E Trans. After about 30 miles driving at about 70mph, then driving around 25 - 30 mph, especially putting the selector in first gear. I hear a loud whining noise. The trans fluid was really high on the dipstick, past the bend. I let the car idle for 3 or 4 minutes still high. The fluid looks good.

Quick Reply: 4T65E Whining noise after freeway drive