Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me choose size and brand stall converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Nice, see I have also read a 3600 stall will not always act idential across the board given MFG's. either. Something about another value that alot of people overlook when picking a stall, I believe it was referred to as the TRT or TTR or something like that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Are you talking about STR? I'm no converter expert, but the way I understand it is that the higher the STR, the harder the converter will apply power to the wheels. The converter I got has an STR of either 1.9 or 2.0, I don't remember exactly. The other Yanks are 2.1 and higher. The higher the STR, the harder it hits the tires when you stomp it. As I understand it, the higher STR also translates to a bit of a looser feel in normal driving, meaning you have to give it more gas to get the same momentum going.

Again, I'm not an expert by any means. Just trying to answer question based on my interpretation of what I've read.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dubga
Are you talking about STR? I'm no converter expert, but the way I understand it is that the higher the STR, the harder the converter will apply power to the wheels. The converter I got has an STR of either 1.9 or 2.0, I don't remember exactly. The other Yanks are 2.1 and higher. The higher the STR, the harder it hits the tires when you stomp it. As I understand it, the higher STR also translates to a bit of a looser feel in normal driving, meaning you have to give it more gas to get the same momentum going.

Again, I'm not an expert by any means. Just trying to answer question based on my interpretation of what I've read.
Yea, thats what I was referring to. I'm new to auto stuff & when I was reading up on converters I noticed this. I used to just think everyones 3200 stall was the same no matter the MFG. But I have learned that a converter can be a little tricky to pick out to ensure you get exactly what your car & engine combo needs power/weight/performance wise.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Yea, thats what I was referring to. I'm new to auto stuff & when I was reading up on converters I noticed this. I used to just think everyones 3200 stall was the same no matter the MFG. But I have learned that a converter can be a little tricky to pick out to ensure you get exactly what your car & engine combo needs power/weight/performance wise.
I know what you mean. Most people around here recommend 3600+ converters and they like the high STR numbers so they get the maximum torque on the launch. I completely understand that, but those guys have performance as their primary goal. They don't usually understand people like me. I want to get more performance for those days when I do go to the track, but I also want comfort and reliability. To me, high STR and high stall speed means a quicker qtr mile, but also means more likelihood of snapped u-joints, broken pinions, more tranny heat, etc. The converter I got turned out to be the perfect compromise for me. Plus the fact that I found a deal, so I bought it and got it installed for less than many pay for just their converter.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a Vigilante 2800 that I cracked after @ a year of DD and a few heavy street uses. I went with a Circle D 3600 that I like a much better. They are great to deal with and can answer any questions you have. I will be using them again if I ever need another one.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 AM
12 Second Club

Yep, there is always more than one way to skin a cat. As long as your happy in the end then thats what counts. You picked up ET & got a good compromise for the street so thats a win/win deal.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Teching In

With a mostly stock setup I find it hard to believe that a different torque converter would do much to help you out. At best, the car will act more sluggish in around town driving and when you go for a hard launch it amy 'feel' faster when you get that kick at the higher RPMs, but you may not actually BE faster. Coupled with the age of the vehicle and the lack of mods I would not touch it at all. It is already optimized, unless you are planning some significant mods....
Old 05-29-2012, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoCruzer
With a mostly stock setup I find it hard to believe that a different torque converter would do much to help you out. At best, the car will act more sluggish in around town driving and when you go for a hard launch it amy 'feel' faster when you get that kick at the higher RPMs, but you may not actually BE faster. Coupled with the age of the vehicle and the lack of mods I would not touch it at all. It is already optimized, unless you are planning some significant mods....
Believe it because it's real, they do work.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Your logic deceives you. Its not a false butt-dyno gain, a good aftermakret converter will net you gain even in completely bone stock trim.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You really need to do more research before you make any more statements like this.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

After making my first run this weekend 14.10 @97, Im pretty sure my next move is to do stall converter. After reading this, peoples opinions are so all over the place from leave it alone to 3600...I'm leaning towards the 2400-2800 but Im worried that I'll get that sluggish feel at lights and around town. Thaanks for the advice everybody and please keep the comments coming.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grazi
After making my first run this weekend 14.10 @97, Im pretty sure my next move is to do stall converter. After reading this, peoples opinions are so all over the place from leave it alone to 3600...I'm leaning towards the 2400-2800 but Im worried that I'll get that sluggish feel at lights and around town. Thaanks for the advice everybody and please keep the comments coming.
You get the sluggish feel from the efficiency of the converter. You can't go wrong with the Yank SS series. I have over 7 years on my 3600.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

So I'm leaning towards getting this REVMAX 3300
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-4L60E-LT-...bcfce5&vxp=mtr
I've been reading alot on these converters and I dont really see many bad reviews..I normally wouldnt go buy something cheap on ebay, but figuring I'm basically going to remain stock or at least stay around 300 horsepower, I think this would hold up fine for me....I'm curious how loose this converter would be in traffic. I'm still trying to figure this part of it out.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:11 AM
12 Second Club

I have seen some good reviews of the RevMax converters. Hadnt seen pricing till now & I'm blown away at that price.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

ss3600. mine drives good and still moves at idle at redlights if you let off the brake. no loss is mileage noticed either.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

^ same here. Just takes a little more rpm to get goin but it'll crawl if I let off the brake. I haven't driven enough to notice mileage but I'm sure it'll be in the same ballpark as before.

Quick Reply: Please help me choose size and brand stall converter