Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush New Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flush New Converter?

I am editing this here to emphasize that this is NOT a Circle D issue. The particulate I have observed is in the ATF that I am using. Further details below.

Hi All, I did a search and read for a few hours but never found a mention to this so I thought would throw it out there:

I have a brand new Circle D 3200 stall and am about to reinstall the tranny. I noticed as I was topping off the converter prior to mating it to the trans that there were some metal flakes and minor clutch dust bubbling up. I am currently draining the fluid back out and it does have a fair bit of dust and a significant metal flake here and there.

Should I be flushing the converter like I would a cooler?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by therabidweasel; 05-14-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

So I found this (Google works better than forum search function):
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...converter.html

I assume that this stuff is just the result of the clutches shifting around during shipment but I'd like someone that knows to chime in.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by therabidweasel
Hi All, I did a search and read for a few hours but never found a mention to this so I thought would throw it out there:

I have a brand new Circle D 3200 stall and am about to reinstall the tranny. I noticed as I was topping off the converter prior to mating it to the trans that there were some metal flakes and minor clutch dust bubbling up. I am currently draining the fluid back out and it does have a fair bit of dust and a significant metal flake here and there.

Should I be flushing the converter like I would a cooler?

Thanks,
Steve
I would contact Circle D pronto.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would contact Circle D, maybe with some pics of what youve found. I wouldnt hesitate to run a brand new converter straight out of the box normally.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, please contact me about this. If it is a new converter it should be clean inside. PM me or call me at the shop tomorrow.

713-895-8834

Chris
Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks Chris, did not expect youto reply on a Sunday. That's above and beyond, thanks.

Just to be clear for everybody we're only talking a decent sized flake here and there (maybe 10 in a few minutes of draining?) but enough dust to be visible in the fluid as it spread in the funnel, which is a big flat one. When I posted I just figured it was normal and maybe I've just never noticed.

Was not gonna be able to hold that heavy converter and shoot a pic by myself and since this funnel is red, not real high contrast anyway.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could see a little bit of dust, possibly from the clutches, but the metal is what would concern me. An auto is finicky when it comes to particles of stuff getting pumped through it.. If enough comes out, its taking the trans out, and IMHO its not worth the risk.. It may be nothing to worry about, but better safe than sorry.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

AS IS STATED UP TOP, THIS IS NOT A CIRCLE D ISSUE. I DO NOT WANT THIS THREAD TO REFLECT POORLY ON THEM.

I fear I am putting blood in the water here, we'll see:

Last night I remembered that the wife has a couple of white(ish) bowls in the kitchen. So, I went out and drained a little of the remaining fluid from the converter and some directly from the bottle. . .which was unopened and brand new. The first pic is from the converter, the second pic is from the bottle.

You can see in person, not sure if it is clear in the photos, a very fine black dust like clutch dust in both samples. There are also much larger black flakes, and the items that originally caught my eye in the funnel were apparently white blobs, not flakes. None of this stuff is magnetic and this fluid has a particularly strong smell that I do not recall from other ATFs. Note that all this particulate CAME IN THE ATF, NOT IN THE CONVERTER.

I am using the only Dex/Merc (Valvoline Max Life) fluid that my parts store had other than the really cheap store brand. The plan was to run this for a few tens of miles and then change the filter and refill with Amsoil synthetic for a little more resistance to heat. I called Valvoline this morning and they verified that the stuff does have a good amount of visible (detergent/additive) particulate in it. So it looks like this is just my choice of ATF and has nothing to do with Circle D. I will call Chris in a few just to get on what additional steps need to be taken if any.

Again, this is not a Circle D issue in any way as far as I can tell.

Out of Converter:
Flush New Converter?-imag0261.jpg

Out of fresh bottle:
Flush New Converter?-imag0262.jpg

It's this stuff:
Flush New Converter?-imag0263.jpg
Old 05-14-2012, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have never used Valvoline Max before, very interesting find. Appreciate you clearing up the issue, let us know how you like the converter.

Chris