Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E swap stuck in limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L80E swap stuck in limp mode

Hi all, I have a 2005 Colorado that I have swapped a 5.3L (24x) and a 4L80E into. I am using a complete harness, ECM (E40), and TCM (T42) from a 2006 Trailblazer (5.3L).

I have tied everything in harness wise, engine starts and runs fine. Only code being thrown is a P0315 (which apparently I can't do a case learn with HPT on this engine).

Anyway, when driving, it will start out in 3rd gear and will not shift up and down. If I manually select 2nd, it will shift into 2nd (and then shift back to third when moved back to drive).

So far I have checked for power at pin E of the harness, and I have manually tapped the solenoid wires to ground (you can hear them). With the KOEO, I can manually select the gears with HPT and you can hear the solenoids clicking. With the engine running, manually selecting the gears with HPT has no effect.

This seems to be how the trans behaves in limp mode, but it is not throwing any codes?

I have a stock tune with the DOD codes turned off, VATS disabled, and P1870 disabled by temp, otherwise stock. I have a resistor in place to fake the presence of the 3-2 solenoid and a relay in place for the TCC apply and to invert the signal of the 2-3 solenoid.

When logging, I can see the current gear going 1-4 as the MPH increases but no shift is occurring.

I'm really not sure where to look next, the trans is supposed to be a fresh rebuild and I have a brand new Circle-D converter in it.

What else should I be looking at?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Also have a TransGo HD2 shift kit installed, everything looked nice and clean while I was in there (installed while the trans was out of the vehicle).
Old 05-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Going to try a new solenoid tomorrow with any luck, unless anyone has any insight as to what else could cause the issue.

Solenoids still click but you can't tell if its actually doing its job till you take it out ...
Old 05-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Changed out both solenoids, filled her back up, and no luck ... I'm not sure where else to look.

When up to speed in 3rd, it holds 3rd fine. I can manually command TCC, and it locks fine.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Teching In

I'm having the same problem. I replaced my 60 with a 80e. I'm hoping mine is the tune, cause it's still tuned for the 60. But I would think I should manually select the gears???
Old 05-28-2012, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lyle222
I'm having the same problem. I replaced my 60 with a 80e. I'm hoping mine is the tune, cause it's still tuned for the 60. But I would think I should manually select the gears???
You're using the same ECM/TCM setup? Because if you haven't either gotten a segment swap (if you can get one) or put in a relay to switch the 2-3 SS signal it will go into limp mode
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzKill
You're using the same ECM/TCM setup? Because if you haven't either gotten a segment swap (if you can get one) or put in a relay to switch the 2-3 SS signal it will go into limp mode
Yes either a segment swap or the relay mod.

The relay mod isn't that simple though, there's a bit more to it. The segment swap requires more too.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jake's Performance
Yes either a segment swap or the relay mod.

The relay mod isn't that simple though, there's a bit more to it. The segment swap requires more too.
I have a relay to invert the 2-3 signal, a resistor in place to fake the 3-2 solenoid, and a relay for the TCC apply. Is there more I am missing?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:06 PM
FormerVendor

I have a relay to invert the 2-3 signal, a resistor in place to fake the 3-2 solenoid, and a relay for the TCC apply. Is there more I am missing?
Probably.

That method was developed by one of my friends and the information stolen from him. I don't offer free tech support for it. We offer the information and support to our customers only.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jake isn't this what was wrong with mine when I cut 12v power to the black box?
Old 05-28-2012, 02:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Jake isn't this what was wrong with mine when I cut 12v power to the black box?
No,
It's a different scenario. The manual control box makes the trans full manual and all the wiring/logic is taken care of in the box.

The method of running a 4L80E using a segment swap requires the wires to be repinned and a input speed sensor wired in and hooked up.

The "relay method" adds a relay to invert the signal for the 2-3 solenoid but it also requires "other" changes when going from a 4L60E to a 4L80E, but it does not require a ISS or segment swap.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Probably.

That method was developed by one of my friends and the information stolen from him. I don't offer free tech support for it. We offer the information and support to our customers only.
First off, you don't know if I am a customer or not, but that is beside the point. I understand your POV not wanting to give help for free. Vendors come here for business, but everyone else is here for tech and to share their experiences with their cars and that is why I am here.

You could post up diagrams and videos on how to make a standalone harness and people are still going to buy a harness, while others are going to make their own.

So back to the point, who originally developed it? Credit should be given where it is due. I have seen it mentioned a few places, I don't know where it came from originally. If I'm missing something here and the person that developed it wants something in return for info, so be it, but who is it?

I just want what everyone else here wants ... my vehicle to RUN!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:18 AM
gnx
On The Tree

I agree with you. Jake didnt have to tune in and say he doenst offer help to anyone other than his customers.
All he had to do was not post anything.
It made him come off as a jerk in a way. Not meaning to call him jerk, just the way he came across. This site as i have always understood it is for everyone to help each other.
What is wrong with free help gives new customers and those to be customers a sense that that vendor is trusting and will have great customer service if they spend their hard earned funds.
I would call circle d he has always help those who call.
I am installing a 4l80e into my f body so i hope i dont have a bunch of issues. Enjoy your ride great work
Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

If the info is stolen though, and had a patent, or even if it didn't have a patent and was still stolen I would be pretty stale to not want to help anyone with it.

I don't know if I could look at it like "Oh well it got stolen may as well help everyone for free now".

Jake is far from a jerk. I have spent a lot of money with him and his products, knowledge, customer service and overall friendliness are heads above other vendors and companies I have used in the past.

I wouldn't be so quick to throw him under the bus.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
If the info is stolen though, and had a patent, or even if it didn't have a patent and was still stolen I would be pretty stale to not want to help anyone with it.

I don't know if I could look at it like "Oh well it got stolen may as well help everyone for free now".

Jake is far from a jerk. I have spent a lot of money with him and his products, knowledge, customer service and overall friendliness are heads above other vendors and companies I have used in the past.

I wouldn't be so quick to throw him under the bus.
Nobody is throwing him under the bus, I understand why he doesn't want to post about it. I just think that if the information is stolen, I'd like to know where it came from to begin with. Maybe somebody will help me, maybe they won't. Jake won't, and I can't really fault him for it I'd just like to get to the bottom of it.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:58 PM
FormerVendor

The method was developed, perfected, and instructions written by a member here, "slow67".

I would contact him for support. He has a modest fee for the instructions AND tech support.

I will add, that if you used the stolen copy of the instructions, check your wiring. Most issues are caused by an error in following the instructions.

My point isn't to be an *******, and I avoided this post for a couple of days for that reason.

When you DO help people by offering proprietary information for a low price and that gets blatantly stolen, you don't let it happen again.

The person who develops the method will almost always have a greater understanding of how it works, and be better at diagnosing problems than the "copycat".

Everybody thinks "Oh that's so simple, anybody could have figured it out", but very few have in the almost 20 years the 4L80E and 4L60E have been offered, and nobody has actually sat down and wrote clear concise illustrated pictures until "slow67" did so.

I anticipated this happening when the info was posted, that all the people who thought I was a dick for calling out a thief, wouldn't be there to offer tech support for the "simple" mod.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Teching In

The method was developed, perfected, and instructions written by a member here, "slow67".

I would contact him for support. He has a modest fee for the instructions AND tech support.

I will add, that if you used the stolen copy of the instructions, check your wiring. Most issues are caused by an error in following the instructions.

My point isn't to be an *******, and I avoided this post for a couple of days for that reason.

When you DO help people by offering proprietary information for a low price and that gets blatantly stolen, you don't let it happen again.

The person who develops the method will almost always have a greater understanding of how it works, and be better at diagnosing problems than the "copycat".

Everybody thinks "Oh that's so simple, anybody could have figured it out", but very few have in the almost 20 years the 4L80E and 4L60E have been offered, and nobody has actually sat down and wrote clear concise illustrated pictures until "slow67" did so.

I anticipated this happening when the info was posted, that all the people who thought I was a dick for calling out a thief, wouldn't be there to offer tech support for the "simple" mod.
Jake, thank you for the info. I saw that he was always one to post and help people on 4L80E swaps so I actually sent him a PM the other day and asked for assistance not know that he is where the info came from. Hopefully I get a response and can work something out.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Teching In

So, while I'm looking at this method of controlling the 4L80E, I have a question on another method. If I got a (programmed) T42 from a 4L80E truck, could I just plug it in and go? Or does it need to be flashed alongside the ECM to work properly?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Slow67 was a huge help to me when I had my 80e.

Always helpful and sent me PM's with answers that I had asked on the board in threads.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 PM
FormerVendor

So, while I'm looking at this method of controlling the 4L80E, I have a question on another method. If I got a (programmed) T42 from a 4L80E truck, could I just plug it in and go? Or does it need to be flashed alongside the ECM to work properly?
No,
It will be looking for a matched OS and VIN, plus the wiring has to be pinned corrctly for the 4L80E.

Quick Reply: 4L80E swap stuck in limp mode