Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 04:16 PM
WRT
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Its about $30:
http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-007775441.htm

You have to remove the valve body and mod it by drilling a hole between two passages; so there is no going back.

WRT mentioned that the 700R4 definitely had the overrun clutches engages in D3 for all gears. I suspect that GM changed this in the 4L60e to "soften" the automatic downshifts in D3 as the car was slowing. I think we would all prefer the tighter feel of having the overrun clutches engaged in D3, plus it puts less strain on the forward sprag.
I can agree with this statement except for one problem. The over run clutches are apllied in manual 3rd shown in your chart. But they are off in 1st and 2nd if the shifter is left in 3rd but a 2nd or 1st gear downshift happens. I would seem to me that a downshift would be more complicated with this strategy. In other word why would they turn them off on a downshift to 2nd when they are applied in manual 2nd or 1st.

IMO if you want the best shifts and strongest poss. trans then shift the gear manually. Then the overrun clutches are always on enven according to your chart.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

WRT, the chart I posted is the correct chart for the stock 4L60E.
With the Sonnax 2-3 shift valve the overrun clutch is ALWAYS on in D3. Here is the Sonnax chart:

Sorry for the confusion.

Quick Reply: drive or OD