Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TCI streetfight 700r4, will it hold?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TCI streetfight 700r4, will it hold?

ok, I am nearing the finishing stages in my truck build and I am having trouble finding a clutch that will hold for my 5 speed. I have a family friend that bought a chevy truck that turns out to have what appears to be a fairly new TCI streetfighter 700r4 in it. she doesn't like it because it shifts hard and wants something more stock. the 5 speed in my truck came from her old truck that was totaled, so I was considering offering to swap the 5 speed for her 700r. everyone keeps telling me an auto will be better for boost, but my experience with gm autos hasn't been good. what kind of power will the TCI trans hold? it will be going behind a turbocharged 5.3 in a 2800lb truck. would I be better off with the 5 speed?
Old 06-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2800lbs is pretty light for a truck, but in my opinion neither unit is going to be optimal. depending on what you're doing with the truck I would stick with the 5speed.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

going to be mostly track, occasional street driving. only reason I am keeping an overdrive in it and not throwing in a th400. the 5 speed seems pretty stout, but can't find any real world proven abuse ratings
Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Teching In

If its going to spend most of its time on a drag strip, the automatic is going to give you better results.. Being behind a supercharged 5.3, I don't think either of the units you've specified are going to be ideal. It's more about preference and practicality at this point. If you're using a later model GM 5.3, what do you have for a wiring harness?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the truck hooks, not very long.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

the swap is already completed and running with a standalone converted truck harness. I removed all the electronic trans controls since I have had nothing but bad luck with 4l60e's in several vehicles now so either way I will be running a manual, or a non electronic tranmission
Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badhombre
the swap is already completed and running with a standalone converted truck harness. I removed all the electronic trans controls since I have had nothing but bad luck with 4l60e's in several vehicles now so either way I will be running a manual, or a non electronic tranmission
If this is your logic, it sounds like a turbo 400 is going to be your best option. You could probly get yourself into a decent unit under 2 grand, but as you specify budget being a factor that might not be an option for you. If you keep the truck and plan on making it a consistent weekend toy, my experience tells me you'll probly end up going that route eventually, its safe to assume that TCI unit won't provide you any peace of mind. just my $.02