Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter at lockup, WOT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Converter at lockup, WOT?

I replied to a thread last week and one of the other posters said he had gotten a Revmax stall that crapped out on him. Revmax countered and said that the reason it did that was because he did WOT pulls while the converter was locked. This got me thinking / a little nervous. I am planning on either an FTI or Circle D converter. The FTI one I think would be a SRLS0086 which is a 3600, Circle D would probably be one of their Pro Performance Stage I Single Disk models that run $775. I do a lot of highway driving and sometimes like to open her up on the highway. So if I am going over 40mph and the converter is locked and I romp on it will that cause problems for the FTI/Circle D converter or was the other guy with the Revmax either doing something stupid and forcing lockup or did he get one of Revmax's cheap converters?
Old 06-25-2012, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, that will not cause any issues whatsoever. So long as your tuning does not allow TCC lockup at high throttle percentages you will not be able to cause damage because the clutch will release when put under mid to heavy acceleration.

Now, if you try to lock up the converter manually under full throttle than the only converter that would work would be a triple disc unit..

The FTI unit you quoted above is the exact same as our stage 3 unit. The Circle D is equivalent to our stage 5 unit.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting, thanks Revmax. I don't even know how to manually lock up a converter...I know people do it at the track sometimes but I'm not really sure how thats done and I know it isn't good unless you have a triple disk.

I just wanted to make sure that if its in D and on the highway that I could do WOT pulls at >40mph while locked and it will kick out of lockup and perform without any damage.

I know that the guy I was walking about that had your converter had a your stage 3. You caught me a little of guard saying that the FTI would be like your Stage 3 and the Circle D would be like your Stage 5. I was under the impression that the FTI and the Circle D were pretty much equals.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could be wrong, but I do not think that the FTI is a billet front cover unit.

I did not intend to step on any toes....

If it is a billet unit than yes, the FTI, Circle D, Yank, Precision would all be equals to our stage 5 unit.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yup, it's a billet 9.5" lockup

http://fticonverters.com/TorqueConve...letLockup.aspx

I'm sure they do offer non-billet as well but I am definitely going billet for sure. It was the first thing I looked at when I first looked into their products.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can setup the lock up in the tune to disengage upon throttle tip in. So the clutch will come off with and real power. If you are just easing into the throttle, then it is OK to leave it locked. The hardest thing on the clutch is actually trying to lock under power, if it is already locked it is much safer to ease into it. You are correct, our Stage I Billet will be a great match for your setup. Let me know if you have any more questions...

Chris
Old 06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I filled out an Ask Chris this morning, just waiting for a reply
Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS-ONE_DAY
I filled out an Ask Chris this morning, just waiting for a reply
Thanks....reply sent.

Chris