Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Converter Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torque Converter Questions

I've got a question. I've read somewhere that the fluid that goes to the cooler is leaving the torque converter. Does all of the fluid leaving the torque converter go through the cooler? The reason I ask is I have a better converter that I had used in another car that I would like to install in my current project. This converter is barely used, but I am afraid it has contamination in it. I was thinking that if all of the fluid goes through the cooler I could install an external filter and not worry about.

I've also got a question about stall. If you have a 3000 stall, at approximately what rpm would I be able to launch at? I am new to drag racing and had this converter in a dirt track car so I have no clue.

I know I could have this thing cleaned, but the only place that I know of is a couple hundred miles away. The transmission that I have is used and I have no idea how long it will last. I would hate to have the converter rebuilt and the tranny go out a little later only to have to repeat the process. I am also not sure if this converter will let me launch at a high enough rpm and wonder if it is worth putting any money into.

Thanks for any info
Old 08-01-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If the transmission is stock, the converter Is a "3000", then just put it in and beat on it! Put a good cooler on it and go with it. Remove the pan and inspect it after a few hundred miles. If it looks good ain't burnt, then cool!
If all your parts are used, then it's a gamble. Hell, now days, even if they are new, it's a gamble!!!.....
Old 08-02-2012, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a 3000 rpm stall built for your specific application then it should launch at 3000. If you have a stall that was built for any other combination there is no telling what it will stall to since torque output to the converter and resistance to move (weight, tire size, etc) effect stall speed.