Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lockup clutch failed, rebuild trans or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lockup clutch failed, rebuild trans or not ?

My lockup clutch has failed on my new FTI converter after only 500 miles of easy driving, should I rebuild the trans. or just flush it and replace the filter,cooler and lines and hope for the best with a new converter ? The trans. has all gears and moves fine but no longer has lockup and the pan is full of the lockup clutch material and a little metal.....never got over 180 degrees and I only drove maybe 8 miles after it started acting strange. The transmission is a level 5 RPM 4l70E and right now after spending $1,000 on the converter that failed plus the new deep aluminum pan $150 I don't have the extra $1000+ for a rebuild and shipping. I just don't know alot about transmissions and was not sure if the filter caught most of the material from the converter as it failed or if the fluid circulates through the transmission first before going back to the pan for filtering ? I run the best WIX filter and an extra 4 quart pan together with the largest LONG trans. cooler, hopefully that's worth something ?
Old 08-12-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From whatever I've heard, when the lockup clutch goes, it is imperative to have the trans at least gone through and checked to see if a rebuild is necessary. Bad news is usually when a lockup clutch goes, the amount of material/metal it puts into circulation drastically shortens the life of the trans.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's awful early to be failed. I recommend you check that
this is not code related (slip code will inhibit any attempt to
lock, small diameter converteds tend to slip with stock tune).
Chunks are bad. Sediment, maybe or not.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Usually when this happens the debris gets everywhere, so the tranny needs to be disassembled and thoroughly gone through. The good news is that you may not have suffered any hard part failure yet.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:58 AM
Teching In

I figured it would need the trans. at least torn down and checked if I'm this far along to take the converter out it would be foolish not to just have the trans. checked out . I know it's not tune related, I just had the tune changed for an LS7 MAF swap 2 months before I added this converter and I went backward from a 3800 to this 3600. If it was tune related it would have failed thousands of mile ago with my original 4000rpm Yank stall I had coupled with the original Bolt on 6.0 liter I have had multiple converters since then and thousands of miles all with at least a 3400 converter without a glitch. This converter was great, I broke it in easy just as I do all my converters. Then my first weekend at the track, it started to lock and unlock on the way home and within 80 miles it was all done. Trans. will be going back to RPM for rebuild and converter to FTI. I stopped driving as soon as soon as I made it home it never got hot or slipped severely it just stopped locking up and still has all gears and works fine just that the material from the clutch plugged the filter within 10 miles of leaving the track so it started to surge on my way home so i pulled in a rest stop as soon as I turned it off and it back washes the filter its fine for about 4-5 miles till it plugged the filter again just as i got home. I dropped the pan and it was full of clutch material from the converter it looks different than the clutches in the trans. there was some metal too. Did not throw a code till I pulled in my driveway "P0741 TCC stuck off" . I was curious if anyone else is running an FTI lockup with success ? I have ran many Yanks flawless. It just sucks to have a failure so soon on a $1,000 part that effects my $2500 transmission too....

Quick Reply: lockup clutch failed, rebuild trans or not ?