Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock transmission acting sluggish

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock transmission acting sluggish

Hey guys I have a 00 trans am with about 160k miles. I've only had it about half a year and it feels like its been getting worse.

Under normal acceleration all is well but as soon as I give it some gas it kinda strains then finally takes off. Almost like if you were to take of from a stop in 2nd gear. Then again once it reaches the higher rpms it kinda strains again before it upshifts then takes off fine.

It used to do it only every once in a while under WOT only but now it does it every time under moderate to WOT acceleration.

I've checked the transmission fluid level and its good and not dirty at all either.

Also, when I bought the car, it had both rear bearings bad on it(still does). Recently I think the rear end is giving out too. I've heard it pop twice while taking off out of a drive way quickly.

So I'm guessing its a transmission issue, or does the bad rear end affect the shifts like that?

I really have no idea so any help is appreciated.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

No one else has replied, so I'll take a shot.
I would start by raising the rear wheels on jack stands, putting the trans in Neutral and crawling underneath (hence the jack stands for safety). Then try turning the driveshaft by hand, it should turn relatively easily in one direction and a bit harder in the other. If it is very hard/impossible to turn then you have a problem in the trans or the rear end.
Hearing popping noises from the rear end sounds very bad to me, I would start there.

Quick Reply: Stock transmission acting sluggish