Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice and opinions, Big power blower car swapping over from the dark side

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:02 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need advice and opinions, Big power blower car swapping over from the dark side

Ok trans gurus I could really use some advice. Hopefully Dave/Mightymouse and a couple others chime in. I've finally decided to swap over from the 6spd world as I can't see myself buying a 6K trans to just break it. Here's some info:

LSX Based motor with a F1X
Should make around 1400fwhp
Trans will be a JAKES PERFORMANCE LVL5 4L80
Car weighs around 3600lbs
9" with a 3.89 rear gear but will most likely go down to a 3.50
28" Tall tires
MVB, T-Brake and 2 Step

The car will see A LOT of street time and also a lot of street pulls up to pretty good speeds. I already spoke with Jake @ Jakes performance and he/converter guys recomend a single 10.5 billet. I wanted to see what you guys recomend for stall and if you guys think the converter will handle it. I know I'm going to want to set the converter on the tighter side as the car will see 60/40 street/strip use. I was originally looking at running a Yank triple billet and for stall speed I was thinking around 3800-4200.

If there's anything I missed, let me know. Lets hear what you guys think.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Nobody has any advice? lol. Where's FBODYJUNKIE and some of the other guys at? lol
Old 09-04-2012, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Nobody has anything?! lol
Old 09-04-2012, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Nobody has anything?! lol
If you're going with a level 5 from Jake's, then I'll probably be the one building your trans actually Kind of interesting, I've followed your build since I was fresh out of high school and lived in California, you're one of the people who made me want to go with a 370 (which I am in the middle of currently).

Anyways man, when it comes to converters where the car is used more on the street than strip, I prefer a converter on the lower side, anywhere from 3500-3800. If you spoke to Jake about a 10.5" billet converter, I would bet I know who he had in mind, I will tell you right now it will most definitely hold the power. The builder is a personal friend of mine as well as business associate, and he's considered a sponsorship on here for awhile, but they already are busy enough with orders, especially from LS guys that he's still unsure
Old 09-04-2012, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

I was thinking 3800-4000 for the stall so around the same region. I also think I'd be better off with a tighter converter for street use. I do want to set some killer times with the car but once I dial in the suspension I don't think that'll be too hard. I loved my 370 combo and actually sold it to a good buddy of mine so it'll live on! It's just time to get a little more serious and start hurting some feelings around my area haha On another note I've actually built and dyno tested 20+ 4L80E's for humvee's. lol
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
I was thinking 3800-4000 for the stall so around the same region. I also think I'd be better off with a tighter converter for street use. I do want to set some killer times with the car but once I dial in the suspension I don't think that'll be too hard. I loved my 370 combo and actually sold it to a good buddy of mine so it'll live on! It's just time to get a little more serious and start hurting some feelings around my area haha On another note I've actually built and dyno tested 20+ 4L80E's for humvee's. lol
Haha well damn, not trying to hijack the thread but

1) What circumstance brought you to build all of those 80s?
2) I'm surprised you're not doing a build yourself, though I will say that a build for a 4L80E to hold your kind of power is definitely not the average build. Some people give the stock 80s way too much credit, they're factory strong, but they are very much factory breakable.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 AM
11 Second Club

I used to rebuild them for USMC Hummvee's lol. Only reason why I'm not doing it is I'm in Afghanistan and I don't have any of the tools to make it easier lol.

Quick Reply: Need advice and opinions, Big power blower car swapping over from the dark side