Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400 tci ls/th400 torque converter not seating

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default th400 tci ls/th400 torque converter not seating

I am having a issue seating a tci th400 to ls engine torque converter in the th400. i feel the two drops but cant get it to drop down any more. the mesurement from the bell housing to the flywheel mounting holes is .865 inches. I was told by Dennis at TCI this mesurement should be 1 1/16 inches. I got my th400 at a swap meet and had a local tranny guy rebuild it. Is there a way he could have not put the splines on write? Is there more than one type of th400 spline that would be a bigger size? When I look in the torque converter which i tried to mount to the engine it looks like the thicker splines on the tranny are bottoming out where the smaller splines go in the converter. Like the thicker splines arent pushed in the tranny all the way maybe. What could cause this? I also have a standard torque converter for the th400 to go onto a CBB, this has the same issue so i guess its not a problem with the torque converter. I have been dripping sweat on this tranny for 2 hours trying to get this think to fit. had it up on its tail end pushing and turning and still no go. Any help would be appreciated. Im about ready to take it to a tranny shop which is a shame because it has a fresh build in it.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

just in case any one has the same issue i have found out why the torque converter would not seat. The tranny guy who rebuilt it put the center gear of the pump on upside down. This does not let the torque converter slide down the extra 1/3 inch it needs. I flipped the gear the right way and it fits perfect. If i had known this i would have rebuilt the tranny myself. Is $580 about right to rebuild a TH400 when you supply the parts?
Old 09-08-2012, 02:58 PM
TECH Regular

i just had a race ready full manual th400 built for 850 top to bottom. i give the guy a lot of business but he is making money on the deal. in other words...that seems a little high.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:17 PM
Staging Lane

So I guess i got some complaining to do? It seems that the metal sleeve that that torque converter shaft slides into has some metal shavings taken out of it from me trying and trying and trying to get it to seat right. should i replace this. I know i have to take the pump apart again and put it through the parts washer from all the metal shavings. Just need to know if i need to replace this sleeve too. If so I will bring it back to the builder and make him do it.

Quick Reply: th400 tci ls/th400 torque converter not seating