Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E no overdrive...rebuild. still same issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4l60E no overdrive...rebuild. still same issue

Ok I got this vehicle only driving n 1 and 2. Shifts to 3 or d would result n more less neutral.

I got this car for cheap and was looking to fix and resell. I pulled the trans expectiong to find either fried clutches or a bad Forward sprag.

I looked the forward sprag over and it was good and cound all the clutches to be burnt and wore to nothing. I bought all new clutches and steels and replaced just to move it down the road.

After replacing first starting the car I stuck it n drive and it made a good solid kick n and then I went back to reverse and then back to drive. tapped the throttle all was good.

After pulling the car out I put it n drive and nothing....I gave it a little gas and it lunged. So I popped the hood checked fluid and there's plenty of fluid. I I tried 1 and 2...and they are solid and drive great. But 3 or d sometime n gear seem to be there...other times not.

While playing with it I did notice if I put it n netural and rev the engine it does creep forward.

anyone have any idea's?

Thanks Jeremy
Old 11-04-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does your check engine light come on?? Maybe a throttle position sensor... Or maybe the tranny wasn't rebuilt right
Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure if this is still true but You used to be able to buy a complete rebuild kit 4 a 700/r-4 4 $60 . A 4-l60 is the same as a 700 except the case is different . Have You considered the shift solenoids ? They do fry once in a while .
Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

As chrisfrost suggests, I would start by replacing the shift solenoids as they can develop electrical problems or get clogged and act intermittently.
Having the car creep a bit with trans in Neutral and engine revved is normal - there is enough friction in the input drum clutches to cause that.
As chevybayboy says, it is critical to know whether the check-engine-light is on.

Quick Reply: 4l60E no overdrive...rebuild. still same issue