Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do to my 4L80E?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more note. Drill the reverse feed hole on page 5.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

Thanks braiden1. I'm going to keep my eye on CL for a "broken" 4L80E to tinker with, learn on and eventually try out in my car.

I started to tinker with cars in the early '70s when knowledge was limited to what you could read in a book, learn from friends and local mechanics, and figure out on your own. The idea of a forum like this where experts and enthusiasts from around the world share their knowledge and answer any question, often within hours, was unfathomable even 20 years ago. No two experts will ever agree on everything, not in medicine, certainly not on economics and very understandably not here either. For one thing, the expert's priorities and experience might be different - one builds engines for 100,000 mile durability, the other for 2500HP. Readers need to consider the various opinions and decide which is more applicable to their particular situation.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Right on mrvedit. I will post more tech and be more patient. On Monday I tripped over an Audi A6 ZF trans and busted up my Knee that kept me from surfing these great swells. It has made me a little grumpy. On a nother note, did you guys know that in the old 4L80E-HD2 kit there was a note to look forward to their internal brake version 4L80E kit. I spoke to Steve Younger about it once and said it would have been too much of a liability to bother with.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by braiden1
Right on mrvedit. I will post more tech and be more patient. On Monday I tripped over an Audi A6 ZF trans and busted up my Knee that kept me from surfing these great swells. It has made me a little grumpy. On a nother note, did you guys know that in the old 4L80E-HD2 kit there was a note to look forward to their internal brake version 4L80E kit. I spoke to Steve Younger about it once and said it would have been too much of a liability to bother with.
A little bit of insight,
I've been on internet forums since they were pretty new.
I've always been there to help the enthusiast, the tens of thousands of TECH posts on NastyZ28.com, Chevelles.com, Hotrodders.com, performanceyears.com, TurboBuick, and other sites prove that.

When all these sites were bought out and became sponsorship driven, it seemed to limit the freedom of information that was what made these sites great.
Money became the name of the game for the website owner, and the fact that KNOWLEDGABLE members are what attract traffic to the forum seems to have been forgotten.
Some sites, this one included, have very strict rules regarding non-sponsoring vendors, that in reality limit those who are running a business (and some who are not) from posting useful tech info. The reality is, someone who does it for a living, day in and day out, will likely know more than someone who is simply a hobbyist and these are the type of people who SHOULD be answering tech questions.
I was threatened several times on this site because other sponsors (before I was a sponsor) felt I was "backdooring" the forum, which was not the case. I had little interest in selling product on this website until I developed my 4L80E transbrake.
My philosophy is there is plenty of business out there, and I don't particularly care if someone is backdooring the forum for business. It's not really going to affect my business.

I'm not a real big fan of limiting the free knowledge, help, and information sharing because the "website" wants to make money from sponsors.

I do however understand the expectation as a sponsor that I shouldn't have to pay for something, that someone else gets for free.

You're not openly selling for yourself or someone else or posting links to non-sponsors. However when you come in here on blast against my business or employees, in a forum that I "pay the overhead", you're in the wrong. You're not a customer and you're a competitor or potential competitor. even if your intent is just to answer tech questions, that is great. Don't be offended if we or someone else disagrees or mention a different way of doing it. We have our way of doing it, and I know it's not the only way, but it is a well tested and proven method.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I apologize to the forum and to those trying to learn for veering off the subject.
This statement is absurd. Apologizing for offering up what you feel is the best info worth sharing is absurdity at its best. Haters be hatin man, Dont sweat it. You posts are very valid imo and im thankful to have read them. worry less and carry on

Old 12-15-2012, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn, wheres Vick? Its a dog fight in here. Jakes FTW! But on the same token Braiden1 does offer some good insight.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

^ Thats all Im saying, good info is what built the empire of tech to this monster and to start bashing on the people offering it up? Might as well light the torch under this forum while your at it cuz its done if thats the case. Ive said this a thousand times before, most dudes just buy stuff from Vendors because they simply dont know, dont have the skill, or frankly dont care to learn. Those who have the time and or the passion to do so will always build their own. Its as simple as that and I dont see Braiden selling anything here, hes just offering up the kind of info that earns one some serious respect is all. If someone has the time and wants to hustle around to source their own parts then fine good for them but they pay for those parts with their time, its not nec "cheaper" they just choose to work for it. Sometimes I do this, sometimes I dont just like anyone else it depends on how my wallet is feeling vs how busy I am. Speaking of which;

I think everyones just a bit edgy these days because we're all stuck in this rotten boat of an economy. So if anyone in this thread Jake included ever makes your way up here? The beers are on me

BTW> I'll probably just buy the "kit" from Jake when im at that stage but im not yet, I do value highly knowing what to ask for and know what im buying is all. Educated customers is never a bad thing either you know
Old 12-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Jakes stage II kit. I would recommend it to anyone thats going to build an 80E themselves.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

If you seperator plate is in good conditions or you are replacing it with a new one, don't use the 1/4" checkballs that come with the unit. Replace them with 1/4" Torlon checkballs to prevent plate damage. Also, never use the silver canister Bosch EPC solenoid that comes in early model 4L80E's. Upgrade it to the Borg Warner style solenoid.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by braiden1
If you seperator plate is in good conditions or you are replacing it with a new one, don't use the 1/4" checkballs that come with the unit. Replace them with 1/4" Torlon checkballs to prevent plate damage. Also, never use the silver canister Bosch EPC solenoid that comes in early model 4L80E's. Upgrade it to the Borg Warner style solenoid.
X2 especially on the solenoids. The silver ones are made in Germany, those should be insta-junked. They operate on a different voltage than the black ones and have their share of issues.

Quick Reply: What should I do to my 4L80E?