Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stalled auto or 6 speed swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
and.... what the hell kind of sucky low rpm stall are you using for your data.....
try a 3600 stall..or a 4800 stall...

from the looks of your graphs, you have a 2200 stall on one, and a clutch on the other
I use the same software for playing with various combos when helping other people pick things for their car.

p.s.
I daily drive a 4800 stall... no issues, feels great... has lockup....
Data use is same for both, 3000 RPM stall.

I run an even more sucky stalled converter. Converter is stalled to flashes around 2800 RPM...LOL It's dual disc, lockup, lite weight billet. Very effecient. Car weighs 3276 lbs and will idle around and even pull a slight grade without any throttle.

Car is set up for auto crossing where high stall can put you into cones or if Goodguys show a concrete barrier. I have yet to get it to drag strip to see how bad the 60 Ft time is.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

im just to the point on my car where the next mod is gonna cost alot of money. ive just havent heard very good stories about the 4L60E surviving very well. i was just gonna throw a yank stall in my car but they recomomend i have the trans rebuilt. the price of having the trans built and running their stall is gonna run me around $2500. may not seem like alot to some people, but it is when your living on your own lol. i appreciat all the input. only thing i really plan on doing to my car is putting a decent cam in it and a tune, so maybe 400hp to the wheels.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't NEED to rebuild your trans. How many miles are on it? Has it been maintained properly? There's a lot of people running converters with stock transmissions without problems.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

go stalled auto, it will be faster and more fun. go at least 4k on the stall.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mjs1012
You don't NEED to rebuild your trans. How many miles are on it? Has it been maintained properly? There's a lot of people running converters with stock transmissions without problems.
car has 108k miles on it, before me i dont know if it was serviced. i just serviced the trans and installed the sonax boost valve. i dont want to spend a ton of money on a nice converter and trash it when the trans pukes
Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 PM
9 Second Club

Thumbs up Manual or Stalled Auto

Pulling the TR6060 out Goin back in with a Jakes 4L80e level 5 with stall, The 6 speed manual is fun but cant take the abuse and I cant launch it the same anytime, and with the cam I seem to do a lot of clutch slipping.
I like to Shift But looking forward to my first stalled trans.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless your a professional driver, I prefer auto. I mean alot of us can row the gears really well, but not well enough to uncover true potential. You leave alot on the table other than a slightly higher dyno number, and impressing a few people who worship 6 speeds as the manly way of driving. If that was the case then truckers are the pinnacle of man kind youd think.......not

When you have serious horsepower at your foot, youd really be better of driving with both hands. Thats one advantage to me. When the wheels leave the ground, or she gets squirrely, youll have one less thing to worry about.

The wear on drivetrain components is better.

Adjusting shifting points.

And you can always shift it manually while on the street to get into the power band from a roll.

just a few reasons out of many IMO

Quick Reply: stalled auto or 6 speed swap?