Sponsored by:

Couple 4l80e questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Couple 4l80e questions

I am swapping in a 4l80e, the one I am going to install has a plastic vent tube coming out the top. The 4l60e had a metal one. Is there a way i can swap the metal one from the 60e into the 80? and is it hard to do? The plastic one on the 4l80e is already broken so didn't want to leave it as i can't even hook it up to a vent line.

What is the torque of the flex plate bolts?

I have a PCM for less wire harness. It essentially plugs into the main connector on 4l80e then has two additional plug-ins for relays. There is no speed sensor in the tail shaft like the 60e, but on the 80e there are two plug ins on the drivers side of the tranny. I'm assuming i leave these two plug ins on the drivers side disconnected? Or do i need to put the factor plug in from the 4l60e tail shaft into one of these two plugins?
Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

the 2 plugs on the drivers side are the speed sensors
first one is input shaft VSS.. you need to either cap off the hole or put a sensor in it
the one closest to the tail is the output VSS sensor, and that is the one you need to plug in if you want your speedo to work and the pcm to control the shifts.
I couldnt tell you if the 4l60 speed sensor will fit or not...or if you need one designed for a 4l80
I do know that the ones on my TCI 6x(uses a 4l80 case) are a 40 pulse per mile sensor.

the pcm for less wire harness should have come with some basic instructions, but basically, those relays get 12v to control the solenoids...signal is sent from your pcm to the relays...allows the stock pcm which is designed for a 4l60, to be able to tell your 4l80 to shift.

Torque Flexplate bolts...
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?category=1

Engine Flywheel Bolts (First Pass) 15 lb ft
Engine Flywheel Bolts (Second Pass) 37 lb ft
Engine Flywheel Bolts (Final Pass) 74 lb ft
Engine Flywheel-to-Torque Converter Bolts 44 lb ft

to do the torque converter bolts, just remove the starter, and then you can access them on the passenger side of the motor with plenty of working space
do one, spin the motor over by hand till you can get to the next one, repeat as many times as necessary till all the bolts are done...
if you plan on making any real power, get a converter built with 6 pads instead of just 3 and get a flexplate to match(TCI sells an SFI rated flexplate with 6 bolt holes)

couldnt tell you about the vent tube as that is something only a builder can tell you about.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for all the info. I have a revmax torque converter and it has 6 bolt bosses, but only three line up with the flex plate i have. it is a flex plate from a lq4.

I will use my pcm for less harness then plug the rear sensor from the 4l60e into the rear sensor on the 4l80e. That works perfect, both sensors are already installed in the 4l80e, just wasn't sure if i needed to use one or not, or which one to use.

Any one else know about the vent tube on the top of the tranny? I was thinking about pulling the cover off the 4l80e that is behind the torque converter to see if i could get in to where that vent tube is to replace it.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:13 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Bump this back up, anyone know about how to replace the vent tube in a 4l80e?

Quick Reply: Couple 4l80e questions