Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60e problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
I do not reccomend drilling the holes in the plate that big. They shift way too hard. Are you reusing the stock plate? Does it have wear from the check *****? If the plate has any wear I always replace the plate with a new Transgo. They are thicker than stock, I also replace all 8 steel check ***** with plastic Torlon check ***** that will not wear the plate anymore. You are going to have to pull this thing out and take it back apart. I do not think you are going to fix it from under the car. I thnik your problem is either a torn lip seal or something wrong with the teflon rings on the input shaft. Make sure none of the solenoids have popped out of the valve body, missing clips. I have had this happen to a guy trying to build his own trans before. Left the clip off the 3-2 downshift solenoid.

I like to use this Sonnax Performance Pack instructions as a guide to drill the plate. They are a little more conservative.

http://www.sonnax.com/system/instruc...L60E-01-IN.pdf

Also not a big fan of the Transgo kit, Sonnax stuff is way better.

Absolutely 100% right on!!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlsonauto
Absolutely 100% right on!!
Ok guys just wanted to know what the line pressure should be on my truck with the Transgo hd-2 kit? What would it be in drive idle and reverse etc? I did a pressure test last night and my reverse idle was 140 psi and my drive idle was 120 but then drop to 90. Is the pressure suppose to fluctuate? Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 12:11 PM
On The Tree

yes it will change as the load changes or as the pcm thinks it changed.. The best way to check it is use a scan tool with bi-directional controls to manipulate the current to the force motor.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:20 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

I kinda covered line pressure in my post #4 of this thread.

Blipping the throttle should give you close to max pressure. My last test gave me max 225 with the Sonnax .500 boost valves and springs; I recall that the Transgo HD2 was about the same.

The computer controls the "Pressure Control Solenoid" (PCS) which in turn can change it between the min and max values that the boost valve with its springs allows.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I kinda covered line pressure in my post #4 of this thread.

Blipping the throttle should give you close to max pressure. My last test gave me max 225 with the Sonnax .500 boost valves and springs; I recall that the Transgo HD2 was about the same.

The computer controls the "Pressure Control Solenoid" (PCS) which in turn can change it between the min and max values that the boost valve with its springs allows.
Ok so how am I suppose to tell if the line pressure is good enough? If its just between the min and max? Also could u explain what blipping is? Sorry for the newbie questions!
Old 12-16-2012, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Blipping the throttle is quickly hitting the gas hard enough to max out line pressure without holding it long enough to make the vehicle move. The same thing can be done by just unplugging the electrical connector and starting the vehicle... Do that and post results. I still suspect the 3-4 clutch is burnt up....
Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 PM

Blipping the throttle is quickly hitting the gas hard enough to max out line pressure without holding it long enough to make the vehicle move. The same thing can be done by just unplugging the electrical connector and starting the vehicle... Do that and post results. I still suspect the 3-4 clutch is burnt up....
When I did this the line pressure max out and when I let it go it fluctuated between 120 and 90. I know the 3-4 clutch is burnt I'm wondering why it keeps burning the clutches
Old 12-18-2012, 05:20 PM

Please re-read my post #4. We have now ruled out #1 (low pressure), but #2 (a leak in the servo area) or a damaged teflon sealing ring on the input shaft is the next thing to consider.
The ATSG manual has the procedure for checking the 3rd accumulator check valve. (With VB removed, basically fill the area with ATF and make sure none leaks out of the case.)

Assuming the trans is going to be removed and opened up, have the mechanic bench test the input drum/shaft installed into the pump for leakage. (Basically using a rubber tipped air gun test the 3rd feed hole in the pump and check that the 3-4 clutch engages firmly.) This should always be done during final assembly, but doing it before dissassembly can help pinpoint the problem.

I'm sure more experienced builders like carlsonauto can give you additional advice.

Ted.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Please re-read my post #4. We have now ruled out #1 (low pressure), but #2 (a leak in the servo area) or a damaged teflon sealing ring on the input shaft is the next thing to consider.
The ATSG manual has the procedure for checking the 3rd accumulator check valve. (With VB removed, basically fill the area with ATF and make sure none leaks out of the case.)

Assuming the trans is going to be removed and opened up, have the mechanic bench test the input drum/shaft installed into the pump for leakage. (Basically using a rubber tipped air gun test the 3rd feed hole in the pump and check that the 3-4 clutch engages firmly.) This should always be done during final assembly, but doing it before dissassembly can help pinpoint the problem.

I'm sure more experienced builders like carlsonauto can give you additional advice.

Ted.
ted is right on. Make sure you do an air test when you disassemble the trans. Also if you have the technology take some pictures of your 3-4 clutch pack when you remove it and post them up. What kind of clutch count and clearance were you running in the 3-4 clutch? Also what kind of material were your clutches? I dont recall you mentioning what kind of vehicle and roughly what power level you are running either. That information may be helpful as well.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:58 PM

ted is right on. Make sure you do an air test when you disassemble the trans. Also if you have the technology take some pictures of your 3-4 clutch pack when you remove it and post them up. What kind of clutch count and clearance were you running in the 3-4 clutch? Also what kind of material were your clutches? I dont recall you mentioning what kind of vehicle and roughly what power level you are running either. That information may be helpful as well.
Sorry about that I have a Chevy silverado 1500 4wd crew cab and it has about 450 hp and about 480 tq. Also I was using the tci rebuild street fighter rebuild kit to do the trans. I'm not sure on the clearance I would have to ask the mechanic on that one. I will ask him about that then I will post them. Also I will do all the checks that u guys suggested. Thank you guys so much for the help!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM

Hey guys I had another question about the 3-4 clutch pack I just got the raybestos z pak and it says to use the load springs but the Transgo says not to. Just wanted your guys 2 cents about the load springs. Also the z pak says .050-.070 is the clearance is that good or should it be less? Thanks
Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Aukai25
Hey guys I had another question about the 3-4 clutch pack I just got the raybestos z pak and it says to use the load springs but the Transgo says not to. Just wanted your guys 2 cents about the load springs. Also the z pak says .050-.070 is the clearance is that good or should it be less? Thanks
If the stiff Transgo clutch return springs were installed in the input drum, then it might be best to follow the Transgo instructions and NOT install the 3-4 load release springs. Otherwise DO install them. Personally I leave out a few of the stiff Transgo 3-4 returns springs and then also install the 3-4 release springs.

We had a discussion about the Z-pak clearance here several months ago and the experts said to follow the instructions and aim for .050 clearance. The important clearance is not so much the total clearance as the clearance per friction. Since the Z-pak has 14 single-side frictions and you want at least .004 clearance per friction, that comes out to .056 total clearance. One expert builder said he tried smaller clearance, but the frictions quickly wore down to have .050 clearance.

Quick Reply: 4l60e problems