Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E Transmission difference 6 cyl

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree on the sealing ring on the 4th piston not being joined right on the cut. It's common when someone hasn't worked on a lot of these.

Possibly an issue with the accumulator in the case.

I wouldn't drive it much if it's so bad the rpm goes up on the shift.

Check the 3-4 shift valve, make sure the right spring is on it. and in the right order.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took the 4th piston out and looks normal. I did get a viton O-Ring kit and will replace the split teflon seal with the o-ring and see if that makes a difference. I also removed the valve body and double checked all springs from the TransGo HD and all are in order.

When I removed the valve body I did not find the single check ball that is supposed to be in the case. I am not sure if dropped it while removing the valve body. What this check ball for?

The fluid looks bad and something maybe cooked!

Last edited by waid786; 11-10-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 193 Likes on 134 Posts

Yes, that looks like something inside the unit is cooked. Try this.. Remove the BLUE O-ring from the servo cover, and re-insert the servo assembly into the case to include the snap ring. Now slowly push on the cover such that you can see how far the cover is moving into the servo bore. What you are checking here is how much the band has worn. If the clearance is more than .175" or so, the band is *most likely* smoked.

Might be time to tear that unit down and go through it.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:13 PM
On The Tree

When I removed the valve body I did not find the single check ball that is supposed to be in the case. I am not sure if dropped it while removing the valve body. I double checked the TransGo HD shift again and all was in right place. I took the other solenoids and valves out and made sure they were all free. I put everything back and in and it works fine now! It shift great and maybe little too great from 1 to 2!

What do I need to do to soften shift from 1-2 little bit ?

Will this little harsher shift actually extend whats left of the life of the 4L60E ?

Was the possibly the missing check ball my issue? What is it for ?

Thanks

Old 11-05-2018, 07:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,244 Likes on 800 Posts

Check ball in the case is for the 3/4 accumulator.

It helps control the shift feel on the 3-4 upshift but more importantly helps the timing of band release on a 4-3 downshift.

I suppose it could cause some issues with 4th gear if left out. It's going to make the 3-4 shift feel softer than it already is...and it's going to possibly cause some funky timing on a 3-4 downshift that could cause accelerated band wear.

But I don't think that's really your issue here
Old 11-07-2018, 07:41 PM

Received 422 Likes on 322 Posts

Agreed that the missing checkball should not have caused your missing 4th gear.
If this (or several of the other checkballs) is missing, the gear will engage very abruptly. The check ball closes as the hydraulic circuit (clutch) is activated, forcing the fluid through a small metering hole in the separator plate for relatively gradual engagement.
When that circuit/clutch is deactivated, the check ball opens to quickly allow fluid out and quickly releasing the clutch.

For your Q about softening the 1->2 shift, the dome shaped cover in the trans is the 2nd gear accumulator. Three bolts hold it on. Remove the bolts, remove the accumulator and show us what springs and possible spacers are inside. We can then give you suggestions on softening the shift. However if the 2nd apply hole in the separator plate is drilled too big, it will have to be replaced (about $30). And as explained above, if this check ball is missing, the shift will be very abrupt.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrvedit
For your Q about softening the 1->2 shift, the dome shaped cover in the trans is the 2nd gear accumulator. Three bolts hold it on. Remove the bolts, remove the accumulator and show us what springs and possible spacers are inside. We can then give you suggestions on softening the shift. However if the 2nd apply hole in the separator plate is drilled too big, it will have to be replaced (about $30). And as explained above, if this check ball is missing, the shift will be very abrupt.
This is how my 2nd gear accumulator is setup per previous post - recommended by Dana at Pro Built. The hole in separator plate for Shift 1-2 was drilled to 0.082". Also all check ***** are present.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:29 PM

That is the Transgo Shiftkit setup for the 2nd gear accumulator, which is what Dana uses (perhaps with a slight variation in springs).
Make sure there are no big washers underneath it; the Transgo Shiftkit comes with these washers, but Dana strongly discourages their use as it makes the shift too hard which can lead to trans and even driveshaft failures.

You could restore the stock springs to soften the shift; I don't have part numbers, but should be readily available, perhaps for free (plus shipping) from someone here.

Alternatively, if you have easy access to tuning software like HP Tuners, the 1->2 shift harshness can be reduced in the tune.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

You could restore the stock springs to soften the shift; I don't have part numbers, but should be readily available, perhaps for free (plus shipping) from someone here.
Here is the pics of the original spring and setup for the 2nd gear accumulator. I still have those springs.

If I put the original springs back in like stock as shown below, will it shift little firmer than stock since I have a .500 Boost Valve and & the separator was drilled for 1-2 Shift to 0.082" ?

I did replace the piston with Aluminum version.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

@mrvedit,

See my above post. What should I do?

Thanks

Waid
Old 11-15-2018, 10:38 PM

Yes, with the stock springs, the larger .082 feed hole and .500 boost valve, I would expect it to shift firmer than stock and softer than with the HD2 springs. It will still be a nice quick shift, but less harsh.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Yes, with the stock springs, the larger .082 feed hole and .500 boost valve, I would expect it to shift firmer than stock and softer than with the HD2 springs. It will still be a nice quick shift, but less harsh.
Great. Thanks you again!

Waid

Quick Reply: 4l60E Transmission difference 6 cyl