Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No first or fourth gear A4

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM

Received 426 Likes on 325 Posts

I'll be more optimistic than 72blownvert and say that if you have 1st, 2nd and 3rd working (under any condition), than an internal problem is not where I would look first. 4th is basically a combination of 2nd and 3rd. I still think it is electrical, but see what another shop says.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took it to another shop, this guy thinks its a pressure valve or the valve body. I only get first manually, 2nd and 3rd are automatic, then I get a TC lock up but no over drive. The guy wants to pull the valve body, and pressure test everything.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:48 PM

Did they just "eyeball it" or did they hook up a scanner and run it through some tests?
If the latter (as it should be), then this sounds reasonable. If you feel nosy, ask if they have a test plate to bolt up after removing the VB for tests. Few shops have one, but that is a good way to test things and determine if there is an internal problem.

If they are sure it is not electrical, than I would also look at the VB next.

Might not hurt to tell them you are posting everything on ls1tech and getting advice here; just do it in a nice way, not like you are suspicious of them. So far it sounds like they are straight shooters.

Couldn't believe the first shop treated you like dirt.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

That first shop has a terrible rep around here, and I want to burn their shop down. They caused two transmissions in this car fail because they didnt hook any coolant lines up so they both over heated. If I was the owner back then I would of raised hell till they installed a new trans for free, or atleast bought me another trans. This shop is a very small shop, but was recommended to me by a few people. He does have a scanner. The way he sounded he is positive its mechanical. To me I am not so sure, but I am just another young guy with a Camaro so what do I know?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:31 PM

Ok. Of course, I have to wonder then why you ever went back to the first shop?

I see that your sig mentions "B&M shift kit"; IMO (and mentioned by others) this kit can damage your trans. Since it effectively eliminates the 1-2 accumulator, it could damage the servo and/or the band causing you to loose 2nd and/or 4th.

If you do have the shop drop the valve body, you might want to have them install either the Transgo HD2 or Sonnax Performance Pack kit, and carefully check the accumulator pistons and separator plate. Or just go back to stock accumulator springs. You might need a new separator plate, depending upon how it was drilled for the B&M shift kit.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

That's exactly almost word for word what the guy said about the shift kit. One shop was weary of the stall on my car too.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

MRVEDIT: You can probably ignore this post, you've been an excellent help these past couple days. I showed them everything you've emailed me, and worked with them on those points you talked about.

Everyone else: I had a bad speed sensor not allowing first gear. Once that was replaced I had first, but still no fourth (OD), they pulled the servo, which checked fine, pulled the valve body which was fine, so they ended up pulling the trans and my problem arose. There was quite a bit of play in my trans drum. So they are going to rebuild the transmission and put a 3000 stall converter in. In the mean time I will be driving a Ford Fusion, wish me luck with all that power...lol.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

A little update, it turned out to be a bad valve body not causing fourth gear. A shift kit was put in wrong, causing the valve body to fail.

Quick Reply: No first or fourth gear A4