Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice! 4l60e builders please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Advice! 4l60e builders please chime in

Well, one thing is for sure. The 4l60e needs rebuilt. Help me decide what to do. My car is a 2002 z28 with stock 2:73 gears.Which infact, I was going to have changed to 3:73's before the tranny decided to crap out on me. I am also still running stock cam. I eventually want to get a larger cam, but I want to be able to do cam and heads at same time. So, with that being said. Now that the tranny is no good and it needs to be rebuilt. Wouldn't this be the best time to upgrade my stall. This is a daily driver, so I am thinking of something modest like 3200 to 3300. This would be on stock cam and stock rear end that will be modified within 1 to 2 years. So, my question is. If you was in my shoes would you have the transmission rebuilt stock or would you have it built up and put in a higher Stall? Please, if you think running a stock setup on a higher stall is waste of time and money speak up. I spoke with a guy who rebuilds transmissions here locally and he said the beefed up rebuild would run me around $1300-1600 depending on HD parts. Sounds reasonable. However, he kept going on and on about putting a higher stall in was not a good idea. He kept talking about line pressure being higher or the transmission locking up at a lower RPM and the transmission being in a constant state of slippage. Wouldn't a tuner be able to correct the line pressure? Sorry, if this sounds like newbie ****, but I have never had a car with higher stall than stock. Just wondering now if I should just get something from one of the vendors. FLT,performabuilt,rpm? Anything would help.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I would find another builder who is familiar with performance modifictions.
I would definitely do some upgrades. A good band, sun shell, and 3-4 clutches are mandatory as well as valve body and pressure regulator mods.

We do these mods even on a stock type build to make the trans live.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The stall would be fine and yes a tuner can set all the right parameters. As for a stock build I would say not that indeed would be a waste of money and I would also be worried about a builder who tells you that the converter will cause the trans to slip or kill it or change the line pressure. Check out out home page levels 1 and 2 prices are shipped , But most of all dont waste money on a stock or near stock build when you have more serious future plans or you will probably be doing it all over again,
www.performabuilt.com

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 PM
On The Tree

Not positive what exactly is wrong with the tranny. The Z28 is still sitting in the garage, but. Long story short. It will go into drive. I am guessing in 3rd. When you put it in reverse, there is no reverse and there is a very noticeable noise. I will check again tomorrow to see if the noise is noticeable in any other gear. I have been avoiding my car, because it pisses me off. I just finished paying on it last month, so you can see my frustration. Plus, its fun to drive.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

So, I was messing with it a little this morning and it only makes noises when it is in reverse or neutral. When I put it drive, it stops. Any ideas what could have failed?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Talked to a local transmission builder today and I got to say I was thinking to myself, this guy may not be the best guy to be talking to. He said that he was surprised that 2002 Z28 came with a 4l60e, that they were built with 4l70e's. The second I started to explain what I wanted for a build he said everything you are asking me will void any warranty. I just replied, than you must not be confident in anything you do. He then began to say that he just could not help me? WTF! I have not yet spoke to anyone locally that sounds like they know WTF they are doing.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 424 Likes on 323 Posts

It might be a broken sunshell, one of the parts Jake said should be upgraded.
Assuming your have enough fluid in the trans, it really doesn't matter what it is, by those symptoms, it needs a rebuild.

Avoid a stock rebuild. As Frank (PerformaBuilt) wrote, your local builder said some very incorrect things that indicate he doesn't know performance transmissions very well. (Assuming you quoted him correctly.). For $1600 a PerformaBuilt Level 2 will be a much better bet that risking it with that builder.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Best thing you should do is get a BUILT tranny from our sponsers and then have someone put it back in for you. If your local guy is telling you that shinanigans then cut him loose. I have a perfomabuilt LVL 2 with a revmax 3600 stall. LOVE IT
Old 02-27-2013, 06:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

We don't do as many 4L60E's as we do 4L80E's and TH400's but we invest the same amount of effort and quality into our 4L60E builds.

I have a couple of neat new products coming out for the 4L60E (transbrake being one).

I've got a local guy running a Stage 2 build in a 2001 TransAm doing 6.70's 1/8th mile.
We just did a 4L65E for a 2004 SS truck last week.

I don't push the 4L60 units for big power, and 80+% of what we build is 800+ HP, but we can build an excellent unit for many of the late model cars and trucks.

Check out our 4L60Es here and call or email with any questions.

http://www.jakesperformance.com/4L60E.html
Old 02-28-2013, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

what is all needed to swap to a 4l65e? Maybe, have line on RPM level 5 4l65e.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM

A 4l60e and 4l65e are externally and electrically identical and indistinguishable; only a few internal hard parts are different. So, a "swap" is the same as a replacement.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Okay, I have narrowed my search to the transmission I want along with a 3200 stall. What I am wrestling with is my rear end gearing situation. I keep reading alot of back and forth on what the driveability will be like with having stock 2:73's and stock cam. If you was in my situation and the transmission is out of car getting rebuilt and you did not have money for gears yet. Would you go for the 3200 Stall? Explain why if any reason there would be not to go over a 3000 stall?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:03 PM

Personally I would go for a 3200 stall, but not higher. Even with a 2:73 and a stock cam you you will get noticeably better performance with a 3200. In fact since with a 2:73 you will be at lower rpm (bogging) for a longer time with a stock converter, a higher stall will give you even more benefit. On the flip side, the car will feel a bit sluggish under light throttle due to the higher stall's slippage. In other words, a higher stall feels "looser" with 2:73 than with e.g. 3:42; hence I wouldn't suggest higher than 3200.
Also get a big cooler and you will be happy with the result.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Well, I have a 3200 stall from Circle D being shipped. Also have a B&M tranny cooler ordered from summit. Anyone think I should order a new flexplate? Still have not decided which vendor to get transmission from, though. That seems to be a harder decision than I had hoped.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:31 PM

Performabuilt, Jake's, FLT and RPM are all going to sell you a quality trans and stand behind it. Personally, I would give preference to the companies that are active on this forum, spending their precious time answering questions and helping out.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:43 PM
On The Tree

One more thing. I had the car tuned when I installed the longtube headers and shift points were changed along with removing torque management. If I understand correctly, I will need the car to be changed back to stock to have the line pressure back to stock level? Also wouldn't I need to have the partial lockup dealt with as well? Anything else?

Quick Reply: Need Advice! 4l60e builders please chime in