Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 slipping into neutral

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A4 slipping into neutral

So I was driving the TA the other day, and did some WOT pulls and one time it hung in neutral between shifts so I clipped the rev limiter a bit Anyway I was driving it again yesterday and now it's doing it between any shift at random times and one time just slipped into neutral without a shift being needed. Any ideas what would be causing this?

Also that converter won't lock anymore once up to speed. It'll lock the first time you accelerate past 40 mph and then never again after that, and if you cruise at 60+ mph it'll just randomly come unlocked and not lock back in.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd look to fluid level, for intermittent shifting.

The lockup may be an immature slip code, if it gets
better after a key-cycle and then craps out again.
But the slip probably has a single cause.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM

Received 392 Likes on 300 Posts

As Jimmyblue mentioned, the no-lockup problem is probably due to a code; scan the PCM for engine and trans codes. Let us know of any codes and we will go from there.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I'd look to fluid level, for intermittent shifting.

The lockup may be an immature slip code, if it gets
better after a key-cycle and then craps out again.
But the slip probably has a single cause.
Alright I'll check the fluid levels again. Last time I checked they were good.

So you're saying it locks fine that first time but then may be throwing a fault that is not allowing converter lock up? It used to be after the car warmed up it would lock up fine, but occasionally un-lock at highway speed. Now, ever sense the neutral thing started, it's been doing the lock up once and quit.

Originally Posted by mrvedit
As Jimmyblue mentioned, the no-lockup problem is probably due to a code; scan the PCM for engine and trans codes. Let us know of any codes and we will go from there.
Ok, so this code wouldn't throw a SES light? I figured all the codes would throw that light. I'll stop by Autozone and scan it, if that doesn't pick it up I was contemplating getting a copy of HPTuners soon so this will just serve as my excuse.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I had converter problems (TCI, B&M Trick Shi(f)t
juice, bad idea) I'd get a bit of clutch flare and then the
converter would quit locking from a P1870 immature code.
This one will reset the action on every key-on and takes
several successive times to set a light.

My second converter install, sent me away a couple of
quarts low and all kinds of misbehavior, slipping, strange
shifting, etc. were the result, until I checked & filled it.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
When I had converter problems (TCI, B&M Trick Shi(f)t
juice, bad idea) I'd get a bit of clutch flare and then the
converter would quit locking from a P1870 immature code.
This one will reset the action on every key-on and takes
several successive times to set a light.

My second converter install, sent me away a couple of
quarts low and all kinds of misbehavior, slipping, strange
shifting, etc. were the result, until I checked & filled it.

Ok I'll check that out, haven't gotten a chance to check the fluid yet. The car has just been sitting since last week.

I don't get any SES codes, some have speculated the clutch packs in the transmission could be going? Doesn't make much sense since it was rebuilt about 10k-15 miles ago.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:43 PM

Primarily the 2-3 shift depends upon the weak 3-4 clutch pack.
However that would not have any effect on the 1-2 shift.
When you said "any shift", we are assuming that includes the 1-2 shift.

Take it to a trans shop to have the line pressure measured; it might be low which would give similar symptoms as low fluid level.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Primarily the 2-3 shift depends upon the weak 3-4 clutch pack.
However that would not have any effect on the 1-2 shift.
When you said "any shift", we are assuming that includes the 1-2 shift.

Take it to a trans shop to have the line pressure measured; it might be low which would give similar symptoms as low fluid level.
By any shift I do mean the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. It has done it on all of them. If it makes any difference though the first time it happened was on a 2-3 shift at WOT. Today it actually got stuck in neutral when I took it for a short drive just to see if I could notice anything else. It threw an SES code on the way back, so maybe that'll provide some insight once I find a way to scan it. I can't drive it anywhere since it's proven easy to get stranded with it now.

Can you see line pressure with HPTuners? I was already mulling over getting a copy, and now is as good a time as any.

Last edited by xXSilencerXx; 03-24-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:47 PM

NO, HP Tuners does NOT show your actual line pressure; it only (kinda) shows what the PCM is asking for, but if your trans has problems there may be little correspondence. You need a real trans pressure gauge which is only $45 on ebay.

The tune selects a pressure value between 0 and 96 which typically corresponds to a line pressure between 50 and 200psi (bit higher with a shift kit.)

Tell us your SES code and we will go from there.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, good to know. Thanks for the help so far. Once I can get the code scanned I'll post it up. Ijust have to find a scanner or something since I can't really risk having the car get stranded trying to go to Autozone or Advance.

I'll look into the pressure gauges as well.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
Ok, good to know. Thanks for the help so far. Once I can get the code scanned I'll post it up. Ijust have to find a scanner or something since I can't really risk having the car get stranded trying to go to Autozone or Advance.

I'll look into the pressure gauges as well.
Search ebay for "transmission pressure gauge 5550" and select a seller; typically $40 plus shipping. The gauge includes a 6ft hose.
With a 11mm or 7/16" wrench, remove the pressure cap on the driver's side of the trans, put the right thread adapter on the hose and screw it in, not overly tight. Use tie-wraps or other method to ensure the hose doesn't touch exhaust. I tie the gauge to my outside mirror, visible from inside.
Then start the car and check the pressure. In Park/Neutral at idle, the pressure should be 50-75psi. Blip the throttle and it should jump over 150psi. Put it in Reverse and pressure should be much higher than in Park/Neutral. (With different shift kits and boost valves/springs, I've seen between 125 and 195 in Reverse at idle.)

The auto stores typically give you a free rental on the scanner after you pay the deposit, which might be $400, but fully refunded when you return it.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Search ebay for "transmission pressure gauge 5550" and select a seller; typically $40 plus shipping. The gauge includes a 6ft hose.
With a 11mm or 7/16" wrench, remove the pressure cap on the driver's side of the trans, put the right thread adapter on the hose and screw it in, not overly tight. Use tie-wraps or other method to ensure the hose doesn't touch exhaust. I tie the gauge to my outside mirror, visible from inside.
Then start the car and check the pressure. In Park/Neutral at idle, the pressure should be 50-75psi. Blip the throttle and it should jump over 150psi. Put it in Reverse and pressure should be much higher than in Park/Neutral. (With different shift kits and boost valves/springs, I've seen between 125 and 195 in Reverse at idle.)

The auto stores typically give you a free rental on the scanner after you pay the deposit, which might be $400, but fully refunded when you return it.
Awesome, thanks for the info! I really appreciate the insight. I'll order the gauge tonight and give the parts store a call about renting the scanner.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I would concur to make sure the fluid level warm is just above the cross hatch top.
Also the intermittent lockup could be engine misfire real of false and may not set a code, However low fluid level or line pressure could also be causing TCC slip to be seen causing the PCM to disable lockup.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-01-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I would concur to make sure the fluid level warm is just above the cross hatch top.
Also the intermittent lockup could be engine misfire real of false and may not set a code, However low fluid level or line pressure could also be causing TCC slip to be seen causing the PCM to disable lockup.

HPTuners showed up today, this is what it read out.

[] P0133 - HO2S Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1 (SES) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
[] P0135 - HO2S Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1 (Immature)
[] P0300 - Engine Misfire Detected (Immature)
[] P1626 - Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Received (History) (Immature)
[] P1870 - Transmission Component Slipping (Old) (Immature)

Continuous Tests
Misfire: Complete
Fuel System: Complete
Comprehensive Component: Complete

Once Per Trip Tests
Catalyst: Complete
Heated Catalyst: n/a
Evaporative System: Complete
Secondary Air System: Complete
A/C System Refrigerant: n/a
Oxygen Sensor: Complete
Oxygen Sensor Heater: Complete
EGR System: Complete
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not sure what immature means...and that 02 sensor is a new one to me. The rears fouled a while back and I had them tuned out, but I've never had trouble with the front ones.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The immature misfire would account for lockup issues.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
The immature misfire would account for lockup issues.

Ok, would that account for the incident with it feeling like it was stuck in neutral? Even if a converter is unlocked the car should still move when it's in gear if I understand how they work correctly?

As far as the misfires, could that just be a result of being a H/C car and I just need to desensitize the misfire detection a bit? Or is it more of an indication of an ill motor?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
Ok, would that account for the incident with it feeling like it was stuck in neutral? Even if a converter is unlocked the car should still move when it's in gear if I understand how they work correctly?

As far as the misfires, could that just be a result of being a H/C car and I just need to desensitize the misfire detection a bit? Or is it more of an indication of an ill motor?
I agree that the engine codes are only consistent with no-lockup and not with it seeming to go into neutral. However if the trans really is going into neutral, that indicates a major problem and likely rebuild.
Unless you are really eager to pull the trans, it seems logical to to solve the engine codes first and hope for the best.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 AM
TECH Resident

I agree that the engine codes are only consistent with no-lockup and not with it seeming to go into neutral. However if the trans really is going into neutral, that indicates a major problem and likely rebuild.
Unless you are really eager to pull the trans, it seems logical to to solve the engine codes first and hope for the best.

Yea I'm not super gung ho about pulling the trans right now, I'd need to gather a couple more tools to do that and set aside a weekend for it. Luckily this car is not a DD anymore so I can take my time and solve one issue at a time.

Thanks for the help in trouble shooting this so far.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can always delete common misfire..

Quick Reply: A4 slipping into neutral