Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 slipping into neutral

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013 | 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by justin hover
You can always delete common misfire..
Yes, a hot cam or a high stall converter can trigger the misfire code; it is often tuned out for that reason.
Old 04-02-2013 | 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by justin hover
You can always delete common misfire..
True, but being new to getting into tuning, I was trying to avoid just deleting things to avoid them rather than fix the problem. But in this case that sounds like it might be the fix.
Old 04-02-2013 | 09:38 AM

I fully agree with you that it is better to solve problems than just disabling codes.
However, if you read up on "tuning for a stall", you will see that disabling codes is a common practice.

BTW - Congrats on getting HP Tuners. I get tremendous enjoyment out of tuning and change something nearly every day; I constantly log with my laptop. (Of course, I been an electronics/computer nerd since age 6, 52 years ago.)

Hopefully we can help you solve your trans problem.
Old 04-02-2013 | 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

True true, in my never ending search of what these symptoms mean I have come across deleting that a lot.

Thanks! I've been wanting to get a copy for years. I figure I've done all the work on this car myself besides, the trans rebuild, I should be able to figure out how to tune and do diagnostics. I'm an electrical engineer by trade and a programmer so hopefully that will help out some. from what I am seeing the next thing I need for that though is to get a quality wideband setup.
Old 04-02-2013 | 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by xXSilencerXx
True true, in my never ending search of what these symptoms mean I have come across deleting that a lot.

Thanks! I've been wanting to get a copy for years. I figure I've done all the work on this car myself besides, the trans rebuild, I should be able to figure out how to tune and do diagnostics. I'm an electrical engineer by trade and a programmer so hopefully that will help out some. from what I am seeing the next thing I need for that though is to get a quality wideband setup.
Yes, a wideband is necessary for engine tuning. The AEM wideband works perfectly! I mount it in my dash and keep on eye on it, especially since I run open-loop.
Old 04-03-2013 | 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrvedit
Yes, a wideband is necessary for engine tuning. The AEM wideband works perfectly! I mount it in my dash and keep on eye on it, especially since I run open-loop.

Nice, I've been doing a bit of research on those. I'm not sure which one will work best for me. Where did you mount yours in the exhaust? I haven't really found anything conclusive on where is the proper location to mount a wideband.

I also found some threads detailing a way to use the old egr wires into the pcm as a way to data log with HPTuners std which will be really nice.
Old 04-03-2013 | 08:09 PM

I have headers and mounted the O2 sensors in my collector after the headers. The must be at least 10 degrees up from horizontal. You might have to adjust the position and angle according to where you have room. This picture shows where I mounted:

I have a stock O2 sensor on one side and the AEM wideband on the other side. You can even set the AEM system to "simulate" a stock narrow band, but then cannot log the wideband values. When convenient I will install another stock one near my wideband in case I ever want to try going closed-loop.
Old 04-04-2013 | 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mrvedit
I have headers and mounted the O2 sensors in my collector after the headers. The must be at least 10 degrees up from horizontal. You might have to adjust the position and angle according to where you have room. This picture shows where I mounted:

I have a stock O2 sensor on one side and the AEM wideband on the other side. You can even set the AEM system to "simulate" a stock narrow band, but then cannot log the wideband values. When convenient I will install another stock one near my wideband in case I ever want to try going closed-loop.
Hmm interesting, I've ARH LT's and a ARH Catted Y, off hand I don't remember if the 02 bungs were perfectly parallel to the ground or not. That's cool that it can be configured to run narrow band if need be.

Is it effective to tune using the wide band only on one bank though? Or is the merge just too far down stream to get good readings without introducing too much latency?
Old 04-04-2013 | 07:01 PM

The LS PCM don't let you tune individual banks (and certainly not individual cylinders), so I assume that checking one bank is enough. I also log the narrow band and when my wide-band is in range, the other bank's narrow band pretty much agrees.

I would try to avoid latency as it confuses interpretation of the logs.

Quick Reply: A4 slipping into neutral