Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 4L80E vs Built 4L60E........how much stronger is the 4L80E....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Stock 80e with just a shift kit will hold crazy power.
true. but the shock of a big hit of spray is what breaks things. a boosted car doesnt have as hard as a hit. iv talked to all the top 4l80 builders and they all say the same thing. so depending on the size of shot your going to spay will be the facter if you need a billet shaft and hub.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Banned

Yea I heard that these 80e can handle up to 800hp in stock form IDK how true that is but regardless the 80e is basically a overdrive version of a Th 400. Im gonna get two 80e one for my WS6 and another for my Monte Carlo that ima build very soon just hope itll hook up to the motor I plan on getting.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 80 converter didn't cost anymore than the one I had built for my 60.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

-___- if you get the jake performance valve body make sure you get instructions, tranny shop charged me 240$ to install i... had it together an had a cross leak or watever.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6
You can get away with a much lesser built trans when your boosted vs if your running spray.
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but what's a good kit to go with when building a 4L80e? I bought a '95 4L80e trans cheap and I'm going to have it rebuild with better clutch discs and stuff that way if I ever decide to go turbo later on the trans will already be there.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

All the guys that have stupid power, and I mean stupid in a good way like over 500 HP, say that they break the 4L60/80E all the time. I talked to my trans guy and a full time mech that has a 10 sec car that agree that if you are making big power that these trans just dont hold up. That the best choice is to swap with a 400. But if you put it on the highway stay with the 4L's because of the extra gear. Myself I dont have huge HP. And mine is an everyday driver. Yes I can leave some rubber, but I have burnt 1,2,3,4 the first time and 3and 4 two different times. Plus the front pump assembly is fragile seems to me. But thats just one guys opinion. Doesnt mean Im right. Either way I would rather push a GM than drive a Ford.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ernie W
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but what's a good kit to go with when building a 4L80e? I bought a '95 4L80e trans cheap and I'm going to have it rebuild with better clutch discs and stuff that way if I ever decide to go turbo later on the trans will already be there.
call jakes and he will set you up with a kit for all your needs. just tell him what your wanting to do.

Originally Posted by ferrellrooster
All the guys that have stupid power, and I mean stupid in a good way like over 500 HP, say that they break the 4L60/80E all the time. I talked to my trans guy and a full time mech that has a 10 sec car that agree that if you are making big power that these trans just dont hold up. That the best choice is to swap with a 400. But if you put it on the highway stay with the 4L's because of the extra gear. Myself I dont have huge HP. And mine is an everyday driver. Yes I can leave some rubber, but I have burnt 1,2,3,4 the first time and 3and 4 two different times. Plus the front pump assembly is fragile seems to me. But thats just one guys opinion. Doesnt mean Im right. Either way I would rather push a GM than drive a Ford.
if your braking a 4L80 then your doing something wrong. its a 400 with a OD. same gearing. even shares some of the same parts.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RPM 4l60e will hold up for a while... Eventually the 3-4 clutches will go but....they can hold the power.... Quite a few of them running 8.80-9.30s at 3600lbs...

That being said, a 4l80e can hold way more power/weight and built much cheaper using basically stock hard parts. The 4l60e needs all new billet hard parts..

My car made 900rwhp with the stick in it, it has a RPM Level 7 trans now and its holding up well....although I don't have any track passes yet, and wont until the Fall.... I know it wont last forever but its the best option for a mid power level (700-900rwhp) C5.

If you can easily convert to the 80e, I would do that first, but if you HAVE to say with the 60e, they can be built to last...but expect to spend $4500+ on the trans alone...
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie W
Call Jake's Performance, they'll hook you up

Originally Posted by ferrellrooster
I don't know of anybody who claims to break 4L80Es all the time. Unless it's a bone stock 4L80E, I just don't see that happening.

(In terms of early model 4L80Es) A 4L80E and a TH400 are nearly identical hard parts wise. Similar or same output shaft, same low gearset, same ring gear and mainshaft, same reaction carrier, same center support, same direct drum. There can be minor differences between these parts for each transmission, but for the most part they are fully interchangeable and it is done more often than you might expect.

4L80Es in the 8's are not uncommon at all. If those guys are breaking 4L80Es in a 10 second car, it is likely either a stock or poorly built transmission, or something else entirely.

Quick Reply: Stock 4L80E vs Built 4L60E........how much stronger is the 4L80E....?