Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

torque converter not seated in trans

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque converter not seated in trans

Yes Im new. I was on here a few years ago but not a regular. Anyhow.....hello.
Alright...I have a 4L60E that I have had rebuilt 3 times. 3/4 go's out because of my foot. Well I used a new guy to build it because I moved out of my home state. OK. now heres the problem:
I have installed, not rebuilt, around 75+ trans in my life. Im pushing 50, and when I have put the torque converter in the bell housing of course you have to turn it like three different stages for it to seat. When I lift trans and bolt bell housing on, there is a 1/2 inch gap between torque converter and fly wheel. Usually there is a 1/4 but usually less. Now when I move the Torque converter towards flywheel flush to bolt on, it is coming out of trans enough to were it is no longer seated. So I tell the guy that rebuilt it and he said that is normal gap. I call BS. Then he tried to say they boxed the torque converter wrong. Well I put the old torque converter that came out of it back in to see whats up and get the same results. I think the main shaft for some reason is set back to far. I dont know if this is possible and dont want to sound like a fool if I tell him this so I was hoping for some feed back. When Torque converter is seated in Trans, I can put trans in Reverse position, turn converter, and tail shaft turns, when converter is flush against flywheel and turn converter, tail shaft does not turn. This leads me to believe converter is no longer seated in trans and that moving it the 1/2 inch out is the problem. I know it is hydraulic but it turns when in a gear position. Why the gap? THANKS!!

Last edited by ferrellrooster; 05-21-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to shim that gap down to 1/8" or so...lots of f info on here about that...but with it shimmed to that spacing you need to make sure the tc pilot engages the crank. 1/2" sounds like a bit much, is that an estimate? Could be ok, just sounds like a bit much. Read this and links therein for just a start:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/1376178-how-install-torque-converter.html
Old 05-20-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice screen name btw.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info! I have the answer guys:
some trans mech. are so good that they can rebuild them blind folded. they get in a rhythm and slap it back together. Well they guy I used to build mine is a 1/4 mile 1/2 drag guy that also lives on the dirt track. He has been building them for over 30 years. That being said, despite the mistake Im fixing to inform about, he really is good at what he does and I would use him again. In the pump assembly he put the drive gear in backwards. easy mistake but caused the converter to seat 1/2" further in. Causing the gap between the flywheel and converter. And when converter bolted on fly it pulled converter out of pump. Also I made the mistake of going head and bolting converter to fly and putting fluid in it and cranked it and broke pump. Great news!! More parts!! All in All thanks for the feedback. THANKS GUYS!!

torque converter not seated in trans-img950399.jpg

Quick Reply: torque converter not seated in trans