Sponsored by:

New TH400 - Love it but have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:20 PM
74u
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New TH400 - Love it but have some questions

I just swapped from a glide to TH400 and couldn't be happier with the new ratios...really woke the car up. But I have a couple questions...

1 - Why are my fluid level readings all over the place? The trans appears to have a plus 2 qt pan...after completing the install I added 7 quarts plus whatever was in the converter/cooler from previous trans. Fired it up and let it idle for about 30 minutes checking for leaks and cycling through the gears occasionally. Once the fluid was hot enough to burn my finger I added another 1/2 qt which got it to the middle of the HOT range on the dipstick. Took it for a test drive for 20 minutes then back home for a level check. Now it's an inch OVER the full. I doubted the reading so I decided to try again the next day...second time around I drove the car for 30 minutes and got a perfect FULL HOT reading....now just for the heck of it I checked it again today after a 20 minute rage ride and it an inch over the full line again??? All readings taken on level ground, running in park, trans HOT.

2 - I'm getting a "shudder" when taking off from a dead stop or low speed. This is at light throttle and say from 1500 - 2000rpm...once I'm rolling about 10-15mph it's gone. Any idea what might be causing this? Very pronounced shake...similar to the feeling a seriously warped brake rotor pulsating would cause...

Last edited by 74u; 08-27-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. That fluid reading is very strange? What all do you have for a tranny cooler setup?

2. How does your rear tranny slip yoke look? I had a kinda similar problem a while ago, and it turned out my driveshaft was not long enough, and my tranny yoke was not fully seating in the bearing that is pressed in the extension housing.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:37 PM
74u
TECH Regular

Not sure the brand of my cooler...just a single core about 14" by 10" mounted in front of the radiator with -6 feed/return lines. If it's overfilled would there be any other symptoms? Nothing has come out of the overflow tube...no leaks.

The yoke was machined to clear the step on the output shaft with a custom built driveshaft. The yoke is sticking out of the trans 1" with the car sitting on the ground. There is over 2" of spline engagement.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Ever figure this out?

Quick Reply: New TH400 - Love it but have some questions