Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e lock up delete??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60e lock up delete??

Is there any way to get rid of the lock up function on a 4L60E? I have a lot of reasons for this. First I have a 96 camaro that has a 94-95 motor in it for some reason and the car won't lock up the converter because it has no crank sensor. I didn't realize this until AFTER I bought the car. So is there a way to delete the lock up function of this transmission? I plan on doing an LS swap in the near future so I don't want to put a 96 motor in it. Or maybe toggle switch the lockup function? Input is welcome!
Old 10-27-2013, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

I should mention the reason I want to delete this is that when im on the highway and let off the gas, the rpms drop to 2000 then when I want to speed up, the rpms are neutral until it hits the rpm that it moves the car again. And I don't want to shock the transmission.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

First I don't understand why you want to disable lockup.
You also say "the car won't lock up the converter because it has no crank sensor" and then ask how to disable lockup. ???? <confused>

Assuming there is a good reason to disable lockup, the best way would be within the tune - simply set the lockup speed to 255 mph.
Alternatively you could cut the wire the the TCC solenoid bolted into the pump, but this will give you a SES light error. Driving around with the SES light is not recommended because it can mask critical problems.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96s-10ss
Is there any way to get rid of the lock up function on a 4L60E? I have a lot of reasons for this. First I have a 96 camaro that has a 94-95 motor in it for some reason and the car won't lock up the converter because it has no crank sensor. I didn't realize this until AFTER I bought the car. So is there a way to delete the lock up function of this transmission? I plan on doing an LS swap in the near future so I don't want to put a 96 motor in it. Or maybe toggle switch the lockup function? Input is welcome!
Well witch is it, a 94 or 95 motor? Makes a big difference.

If it's got a 94 motor/pcm and a 96 tranny, you already don't have lockup. To get lockup you can stake the pwm valve open and have lockup.

If it's a 95 motor/pcm and a 96 trans, then it's already pwm, and lockup should work.

Also I really don't think your issue has anything to do with lockup.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96s-10ss
I should mention the reason I want to delete this is that when im on the highway and let off the gas, the rpms drop to 2000 then when I want to speed up, the rpms are neutral until it hits the rpm that it moves the car again. And I don't want to shock the transmission.
Is this in OD? Mine use to do this in the every gear selector position but OD because my overrun clutches were worn out, but I always still had engine braking in OD. Not sure how that worked (since apparently OD supposedly has no engine braking in a 4l60e), but I could feel it engine braking until the TCC was disengaged.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

I know this. It has a vented opti. 2 knock sensors on the motor, and is running on a 96 ecm and a 96 transmission. The reason I mentioned the lock up disable was because I've heard of the non lock up converters and what not. I've had 3 LT1 cars in the early 2000s and used to know all there is to know about an LT1. However they were all t56 cars. Betweent then and now I have also owned 4 LS1 cars 3 fbodys and an 04 GTO. also all t56 cars. So my LT1 knowledge has since been swamped with LS1 info. So bare with me without all the sarcasm please. I'm trying to learn about the 4l60e because I don't know too much about it. The transmission has no lockup in any gear. I have heard that the crank sensor controls the lockup on 96-97 cars. I simply don't know if this is the case. If it is then I will retrofit this motor with 96 parts with a crank sensor and fix the lockup issue. But will that fix the issue?
Old 10-30-2013, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, now you have me confused.

You have a 96 car with a 96 pcm and a 96 transmission. What leads you to believe that the motor is 94 or 95?

As far as I'm aware the crank position sensor serves only one purpose on the OBDII LT1, and that is for cylinder specific misfire detection. If you have a 96 pcm it would seem that you would have to have a CPS.

Is your SES light on? if the pcm thinks something's wrong it can prevent lockup.

The pcm controls lockup electronically. It gounds a solenoid in the trans that locks the TCC.

Still confused as to why you want to delete lockup if it already is not working?

Also you state:
I want to delete this is that when im on the highway and let off the gas, the rpms drop to 2000 then when I want to speed up, the rpms are neutral until it hits the rpm that it moves the car again.

Don't think it has anything to do with lockup. Mine does the same thing, and I know my lockup is working.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Take it to a tuner and have them command it to not lock up.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Launching!

You should really take the car to a professional to diagnose the problem, but if you want to delete lock up the proper way of doing it is to by a non lockup valve from trans-go which goes in the pump and replaces the stock valve, remove the check ball and capsule from the input shaft and get a non lockup converter. If you just delete it in the pcm you will overheat the trans and you will destroy the planetarys from lack of lube.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:15 PM

Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by 72blownvert
You should really take the car to a professional to diagnose the problem, but if you want to delete lock up the proper way of doing it is to by a non lockup valve from trans-go which goes in the pump and replaces the stock valve, remove the check ball and capsule from the input shaft and get a non lockup converter. If you just delete it in the pcm you will overheat the trans and you will destroy the planetarys from lack of lube.
Jon, I know that you know these transmissions very well.
Please explain why disabling lockup in the PCM would damage the trans. I can understand that the trans will run hotter, but that is always the case with a high-stall non-lockup converter.
How would this affect internal lubrication?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It has something to do with when the computer commands lockup, fluid changes course though the tranny. Without proper flow it will toast itself.

Quick Reply: 4L60e lock up delete??