Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going to the track leave it in D or 3rd?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 12:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as 4L80E, for now it's typically best to leave it in D, not OD. The biggest problem is the OD roller clutch, there are several scenarios that could cause it to come apart and fail. Past that point, the stock OD carrier would be the next issue to tackle. It's hard to say how strong the OD clutches are or aren't since they aren't often the first point of failure if something goes wrong in the OD section.

Burn outs should also always begin in 2nd gear then shift to 3rd once the tires have a little speed.

We're currently working on a very unique solution that hasn't been done before to be able to offer a 4L80E that you can not only burn out in any gear safely, but also race in OD should you wish. We've also been discussing our own custom billet OD planetary carrier with custom ratios for certain applications, which could provide some nice benefits for anyone who really wants or needs it.

Last edited by NorthTexasConverter; 05-20-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthTexasConverter
Burn outs should also always begin in 2nd gear then shift to 3rd once the tires have a little speed.
Going into 3rd gear is completely unnecessary with your average geared car (3.23, 3.73, 4.10 etc). See vids below for proof.

Originally Posted by mrvedit
With the shifter in [D2] the trans will start and stay in 2nd gear. This is suitable for an aggressive burnout so that the trans doesn't shift from 1 to 2 during the burnout.
Right, you will start and finish in second. I tend to hold my rpms around 5500, which would put wheel speed at somewhere in the high 50 mph range in 2nd gear.

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I always start my burnout in 1st and upshift to 2nd during it. Gets the tires spinning faster more quickly with less chance for wheelhop. I've heard people say not to but I've yet to hear a convincing reason why it would be bad for the trans.

I can't see any reason for running in 3rd at the track. The car won't shift into 4th at WOT anyway. Why not have every bit of pressure possible going to the (weak) 3-4 clutch pack?
This post has me confused.The whole 1st gets your tires spinning faster bit. It seems as though in theory you would be correct, but from my experience it just doesn't work that way in real life. And I will show you in a sec. While you may not be convinced to do your burnout any other way then your own, it doesn't mean that there aren't valid reasons to. One, asking the trans to shift in a condition other then moving the vehicle is not what it was designed/engineered to do. Will this cause ultimate failure, well I can't say for sure but its something valid to think about. Two, if you are trying to get the tires spinning quick and stab the gas, first gear is over in a millisecond and I personally have hit the limiter doing that crap. Heck once you start making power 2nd gear will be on the limiter is a split second. Why risk it? Third, a one gear burnout is calm, and easier to control because you eliminate the variable of the trans be basically confused, and dealing with a lift throttle up shift or whatever (assuming the driver is burning out in D or OD). Bottom line is, why over-think it. Every single time I go to the track I see nice cars who's drivers can't seem to do a decent burnout. I often wonder how difficult it really is to learn, but after reading some responses I can see how some struggle. I'm going to present two vids, both done in 2nd gear only, idle to 6k rpms in the blink of an eye with an estimated 60mph-ish wheel speed. If anyone can prove there is a better way, please present you evidence. My way plain gets it done.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Going into 3rd gear is completely unnecessary with your average geared car (3.23, 3.73, 4.10 etc). See vids below for proof.
I am referring specifically to 4L80Es (and TH400s). They are a completely different animal than 4L60Es. You need to go into 3rd so that there is no chance of rolling the intermediate sprag if the tires grab.

Last edited by NorthTexasConverter; 05-21-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^well good to know the differences.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shift 1 to 2 in the box, then put it in D or 3rd to race, but I have a fully built 4l60e. Stock 4l60e don't do what I do, leave it in OD.

I have over 160 passes with the car, and after a cheap converter from HL converters in Lancaster, CA blew up and I needed a trans rebuild, I had just over 100 passes on the rebuilt trans with zero issues along with daily driving the car. Car ran 7.42 at 92 mph.

This was a few years ago, and i was on crappy 555r tires, first suggestion do less than a 5 second burnout with 555r on your first pass they get greasy if you do it much longer, at least in my experience. I usually swapped on a set of 16 in stock wheels with MT ET street radials but this day I had just gotten there and yes the test n tune fell on my birthday so what better way to celebrate.

Last edited by LS1Adam84; 05-21-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
This post has me confused.The whole 1st gets your tires spinning faster bit. It seems as though in theory you would be correct, but from my experience it just doesn't work that way in real life. And I will show you in a sec. While you may not be convinced to do your burnout any other way then your own, it doesn't mean that there aren't valid reasons to.
I see what you mean . What I've done is bring to 5000rpm quickly in first, shift, and then bring it up to the same in second more gradually. You just peg it in second. I rarely go to the track anymore, but I may try that when I go.
One, asking the trans to shift in a condition other then moving the vehicle is not what it was designed/engineered to do.
This is obvious, but what I'm saying that I have never heard a convincing reason based on internal transmission dynamics that it is harmful. I'm not saying there is no such reason; I've just not heard it. The only difference I can see is the load on the powertrain due to less resistance. Why this would be ok for engines but bad for trannies I don't get.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

With my '93 Z and it's 4L60, back in my high school days, I would always start in 1, and manually shift up each gear...

Granted, this was rarely at the strip. Usually just street racing.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I see what you mean . What I've done is bring to 5000rpm quickly in first, shift, and then bring it up to the same in second more gradually. You just peg it in second. I rarely go to the track anymore, but I may try that when I go.
This is obvious, but what I'm saying that I have never heard a convincing reason based on internal transmission dynamics that it is harmful. I'm not saying there is no such reason; I've just not heard it. The only difference I can see is the load on the powertrain due to less resistance. Why this would be ok for engines but bad for trannies I don't get.
Also don't forget to carry the burnout through to the light or at least in through the grooves or rubber already layed down, this makes sure your have gotten enough heat on the tires and you are get hot sticky rubber to ground outside the water box. I see too many guys just burnout in the box and never carry it out of the box to get a nice hot set of sticky rubber.

I do the same method of using first gear to get up to about 6k rpms so I am not standing on my brakes too much since I don't have a line lock, I start the burn out then get on the brakes and shift to second nice and smoothly and then bring up the rpms to get more mph and run it out of the box. It sounds like a fuster cluck but I have had zero issues and definitely a good amount of passes.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Some tracks severely frown on street cars burning out past the lights. Especially if the car is on street tires because then all you're doing is tearing up the good rubber on the track for everyone else.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^even on drag radials sometimes.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Correct, the track I go to does not allow burnouts to or past the line unless it's a rail car (or other race cars at their big events) regardless of what tire you are on.

Just thought it was worth pointing out how detrimental street tires can be for the track surface prep if you are purposefully trying to spin across the launch surface on hard compound tires. For the sake of this argument I would go so far as to group 555R in with the street tire group rather than the drag tire group.

Hondas that flat foot their POS tire spinning junk on the rev limit and 4wd diesel idiots on super swampers ripping up every bit of sticky rubber are the bain of anyone trying to hook at a TNT night.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Correct, the track I go to does not allow burnouts to or past the line unless it's a rail car (or other race cars at their big events) regardless of what tire you are on.

Just thought it was worth pointing out how detrimental street tires can be for the track surface prep if you are purposefully trying to spin across the launch surface on hard compound tires. For the sake of this argument I would go so far as to group 555R in with the street tire group rather than the drag tire group.

Hondas that flat foot their POS tire spinning junk on the rev limit and 4wd diesel idiots on super swampers ripping up every bit of sticky rubber are the bain of anyone trying to hook at a TNT night.
Good call, I said up to the light for a reason, but thank you for clarifying. I have not had that issue but then again I know when my tires are good. I am assuming they are running on a MT/Hoosier/whatever brand drag tire they prefer.

I really do hate 555r's for the track they are pretty much useless, I loved MT ET street radials, I have dead hooked on the street with them and at the track.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:33 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Also don't forget to carry the burnout through to the light or at least in through the grooves or rubber already layed down, this makes sure your have gotten enough heat on the tires and you are get hot sticky rubber to ground outside the water box. I see too many guys just burnout in the box and never carry it out of the box to get a nice hot set of sticky rubber.

I do the same method of using first gear to get up to about 6k rpms so I am not standing on my brakes too much since I don't have a line lock, I start the burn out then get on the brakes and shift to second nice and smoothly and then bring up the rpms to get more mph and run it out of the box.
Yep at our track there's enough room to roll out before getting too close to the light. I roll out of my burnout in second and shift to third as I go just before I apply the brakes; makes for a nice smooth roll out.

I don't have a line lock either and that's another reason I've used the 1-2 burnout technique, as you say.

You don't do burnouts IN the water box but roll through it to give your tires a little extra slip to start the burn out. But I've also found I can get a good burnout with MT's going around the water box.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah also doing too long of a burnout and not carrying it out of the box, especially on street tires, is pretty much going to get you a poor 60'.

Quick Reply: going to the track leave it in D or 3rd?????