Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Pontiac GTO - 4L80e swap issues!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation 2005 Pontiac GTO - 4L80e swap issues!

Hey guys, recently swapped a 4L80e into my 2005 GTO, been dealing with nothing by problems for the last month since the swap took place. Looking for some guidance on someone who's done the swap or has experience with this.

Parts in question:
2004 stock 4L80e - High energy bands/clutches and an HD2 shift kit
PCM of NC 4L80e adapter harness
Reactor Aluminum LS flexplate
3600 triple disk FTI converter (spec'd for a 4L80e/LS swap)

Issue:
Since the installation of the trans and all the components, when the transmission reaches operating temp the torque converter locks up and stalls the car when slowing down below 5mph or engaging reverse gear.

I pulled the trans and converter out and had them sent to their builders, torque converter was said to be perfectly fine, trans had a sticking valve in the pump so the pump was replaced. The valve body and shift kit were not.

We reassembled everything after getting it all back and the problem is still occurring. The only thing I can suspect now is a cross leak in the valve body. We're sourcing a replacement valve body without a shift kit to install to see if this works. But now my transmission guy is concerned about flexplate to converter clearance but Ive seen people use the parts I have with great results…. Does anyone know what the issue could be?
Old 06-12-2014, 03:11 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

It's a converter flow issue.

Be sure the cooler isn't a restriction, be sure you can blow compressed air into the trans return cooler port, and if all that checks out good, bump the idle up 100 rpm or more and see if it improves.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks Jake, I'll notify the shop that has my car.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Given that there is a howling that has now developed in park when I leave the car sitting for a while (goes away after idling for a few minutes), my transmission guy is concerned that there is a clearance issue between the converter and the flex plate, can anybody who has used the Reactor LS Flexplate comment on whether I need to a spacer between the converter and the plate itself or should there be enough clearance built into it?

Quick Reply: 2005 Pontiac GTO - 4L80e swap issues!