Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200 hp 4l80e build

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1200 hp 4l80e build

I am upgrading my 4l80e for my turbo motor. I ran this transmission for 2 years with a 700hp nitrous setup. I had a jakes performance input shaft, hub and manual tranbrake. Tore it apart and everything looked like new except for the converter bushing and the converter clutch was coming apart. The converter clutch I think might have been my fault as I may have been a bit hard on it. WHy would the converter bushing be worn? ALso I am adding a billet intermediat shaft and 36 element superdrum. Are there any other mods I need to do? I have heard of upgrading some lube circuits but this trans will only see 5000 miles at most a year and factory trannys go much further? I am running one extra clutch in direct (no wave plate). The rest are factory set up. Direct is dual fed as per transbrake instructions. All high energy clutch's. Rear is rollerized. Any pump modifications? I am using a holley domiator controller so line pressure is not fixed. Max pressure right now is set at 180 psi. Any help very much appreciated.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

Do you recall exactly that hydraulic modifications you made other than dual feeding the directs and drilling a bleed hole on the drum?

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction with the 300M main shaft and Super Drum. As far as hard parts, that should cover you. I would recommend upgrading the clutch pack to a 6 count.

Drill a hole between the converter feed and line passages in the pump. Better description would be a nice visual, luckily TransGo already outlined this exact mod in their kit

1200 hp 4l80e build-vdkudst.png

I'd suggest bumping up the max line pressure a touch. Are you still going to be nitrous only or going forced induction? Turbo or supercharger (if so)?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info. Is that drill modification for converter clutch dragging or something else? As far as case modifications I removed that one seal in the direct clutch and drilled a blead hole in it. Removed a seal and grooved the reverse band servo. All as per jakes tranny brake instructions. I also put 6 clutch's in the direct. Intermediat and Forward are factory count. The car is an 02 camaro 408 twin turbo. No nitrous. Its 1000 rwhp now but I want to eventually put bigger turbos in it. Just trying to make sure I am not missing anything. Have read some stuff on using billet overdrive carriers and billet sun gear shafts that were press on but wasn't sure if I needed them. I also have a deep tranny pan but it would be nice to back to factory because with my tranny blanket its pretty low. Is that neccessary?
Old 11-07-2014, 12:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by camarojunky
Thanks for the info. Is that drill modification for converter clutch dragging or something else? As far as case modifications I removed that one seal in the direct clutch and drilled a blead hole in it. Removed a seal and grooved the reverse band servo. All as per jakes tranny brake instructions. I also put 6 clutch's in the direct. Intermediat and Forward are factory count. The car is an 02 camaro 408 twin turbo. No nitrous. Its 1000 rwhp now but I want to eventually put bigger turbos in it. Just trying to make sure I am not missing anything. Have read some stuff on using billet overdrive carriers and billet sun gear shafts that were press on but wasn't sure if I needed them. I also have a deep tranny pan but it would be nice to back to factory because with my tranny blanket its pretty low. Is that neccessary?
Yup!

Sounds like a pretty solid build you've done there, a billet sungear tube to me is a waste of money. A billet OD carrier would be far from necessary for your setup. Deep pan is not necessary, I have customers deep into the 4 digit power range who wheels up every single pass rocking the stock pan with temps never even hitting 200.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

ok, thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 1200 hp 4l80e build