Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with trans problem!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with trans problem!!!!

Hey guys,

I just got my tans rebuilt and i have a problem.
It did fine fr about 6 or 7 miles after i got it back. But then it woudn't go into first or fourth. The ses light came on and i scanned it and got a P0758 2-3 shift solenoid circuit electrical code. So i had the shop replace the 2-3 solenoid and the 1-2 solenoid. But this didn't help, so they had me take it to the Chevy place and hook up a Tech II. They came up with a P0740 TCC enable solenoid circuit elect. code. They cleared it and it did fine for the rest of the night. When i got in the next morning, it started acting up again and the ses light came on. When I got home from work I scanned it and came up with these codes:

P0713 Transmission Fluid Temperature High Input
P0740 TCC Enable Solenoid Circit Electrical
P0753 1-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
P0758 2-3 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
P0785 3-2 Shift Solenoid Circuit Electrical
860 Unknown
(I think the unknown is a P1860 TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit Electrical)

The transmission will start out in third and not got into OD. But i can make it go to second by moving the stick into 2.

I think that the wires in the pan are broke, pinched or something. It seems that somthing is shorted out.

Someone PLEASE help!! Any input is appreciated
Old 06-07-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

I would definately check all the electrical connectors/conections. with a rebuild, i would first check the connector on passenger side of the transmission to make sure it is in all the way and none of the pins are messed up. I would also check to make sure that they did not break or pinched a ground or any other wires between the engine and transmission when bolting it back together, its a tight place and i have seen a lot of people do this, last i would pull the pan and check all the solenoids and connections, but shouldnt be the problem since you had the codes then took it back had it looked at again(pan dropped again) and they are still there but seem random.
Good Luck.

Clint
Old 06-07-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

one other thing, check and keep checked trans fluid level after a few miles, i had one that i did where i replaced the pan and the tq converter and then got the 1-2 shift solenoid code, but i drove it and got the fluid to the proper level and cleared the code and it never came back(wife car so i know the code never came back, i think it might of had some air in the fluid). But that was only one code and happened on the first drive so this shouldnt be your case, just something else to check.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any news on this? Last night a buddy and I installed a TransGo and now have 4 of these codes. We were careful with the wires...(I've rebuilt other 4L60Es before and never had a problem). Rechecked the electrical connections and can't find anything wrong. Wonder if its a ground problem?
Old 07-04-2004, 02:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]The transmission will start out in third and not got into OD. But i can make it go to second by moving the stick into 2.[quote]

I'm responding to this statement only, when I say...I just had this problem after a rebuild, and it was due to the shop that reinstalled my tranny, not properly securing the external linkage. That linkage when not secured tightly will cause the 1-2-3/D-OD, sequence, to go to hell in a hand basket, once you have driven it only a short distance!
Old 07-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Launching!

The transmission will start out in third and not got into OD. But i can make it go to second by moving the stick into 2.
This is caused by a PCM commanded Default. Many of those codes that set, will force the PCM to command third gear only, however you can override it and get second by manually downshifting.

To set all of those codes, you either have a main transmission connector thats not fully seated, or you are loosing power/ground to the transmission. Ignition switches are notorious for setting all of those codes.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
This is caused by a PCM commanded Default. Many of those codes that set, will force the PCM to command third gear only, however you can override it and get second by manually downshifting.

To set all of those codes, you either have a main transmission connector thats not fully seated, or you are loosing power/ground to the transmission. Ignition switches are notorious for setting all of those codes.
Maybe you can help out with a problem I'm having:

My car starts in "gear" but still in "Park". Sometimes it has Reverse...sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it shifts 3-4 in OD...sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it runs smoothly, and shifts normally...but sometimes the tranny appears to shake the car with a loud grinding noise. When this happens...the car will barely shift at low rpms, but do fine at higher mphs??? Also during this, the car starts out in third gear when in OD???

I took the car, yesterday to the dealer to have it looked at, and they just said they didn't have enough time to explore the possibilities(after waiting an hour...grrrr!), but when I started the car up and took off to go back home, it shifted fine all the way back. I even stopped at a car wash...let them wash the car...started it up...drove and shifted fine all the way home.
So, I'm thinking the problem just went away, for whatever reason, but the next morning, started the car up to go enjoy July 4th fireworks...part way down the road, starts with the refusing to shift again...starts off in third gear again...grinding noises, like something's loose again???
Seems like it happens for sure when cold...but if shut off while hot, and started again when hot, it shifts like there was never any prolem???

Loose convertor do this??? I'm taking it to a tranny shop Monday. There goes my whole 4th of July weekend fun!!!
Old 07-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Is the transmission stock? Any fault codes being stored?
Old 07-04-2004, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
Is the transmission stock? Any fault codes being stored?
I wish I was that savvy. No scanner here. Tranny is a "Mega-Raptor" 4L60-E, with all the best parts, able to withstand 700hp, etc., buitl by PATC in Louisiana.

It's funny you should reply right now..I just came back in from starting the car...letting it warm up the tranny. It started in gear again. I let the tranny temps rise to 150 something...shut it off...started it back up...same old thing!

Just came back in, looked at your e-mail, and as I was sitting here depressed...I recalled the shop I was at, letting me know about a slow tranny leak they noticed a couple of days ago, and commented that the last people to work on the tranny put the pan back on with a cheap old fashioned cork gasket, which they felt was the cause of the leak. So, backing up to the simplest thing first, let me ask you if these types of symptoms could be caused by low fluid level. My bad if it could, but it's extra hard to check the tranny fluid in these vettes. They don't have dipsticks, or a place to add fluid on top of the engine! I don't have any way to get under there to add it anyway...it's so low to the ground.

What are your thoughts on this? The shop I am used to going to is usually very thorough and would probably have checked it and told me if it was low, and would probably even have added a little to save the tranny 'till I could get somewhere...but can't be sure about that anymore, I guess.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Need Help with trans problem!!!!