Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rookie 4l60e rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
The point were the shift issue goes away is a fluid level that pukes fluid out the vent
Whats this mean?
Old 05-07-2018, 04:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
Whats this mean?
I over filled the trans a bit and the 2-3 limiter bump went away but it blew some fluid out of the top vent. Drained about 1- 1.5 quarts out and it is about 1/4 in. above full mark but now gets the 2-3 limiter bump but no fluid puking out the top vent. I may add just a half quart from here.....
Old 05-07-2018, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I guess I should just be patient and wait for a tune before I break something. Just figured it may have been a fluid issue due to the f- body dipstick being miserable to read.

I suppose removing the sonnax servo check valve and tightening up band clearance .040"+ from the previous build and tune could of thrown the timing off a bit?
Old 05-07-2018, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
I suppose removing the sonnax servo check valve and tightening up band clearance .040"+ from the previous build and tune could of thrown the timing off a bit?
I doubt it.
So is it a cut loose or bind up. OR just the normal feel of a huge stall speed with a 4L60E....

If you go WOT until it shifts 2-3 that will tell you. Otherwise the 2-3 is always going to feel weird with a high stall converter, unless you play with the upshift pressures.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I doubt it.
So is it a cut loose or bind up. OR just the normal feel of a huge stall speed with a 4L60E....

If you go WOT until it shifts 2-3 that will tell you. Otherwise the 2-3 is always going to feel weird with a high stall converter, unless you play with the upshift pressures.
I do apologize for it is hard for me to tell.

It does not feel like cut loose at wot. It does not free rev to the limiter then shift ( im assuming that is flare?)

2nd pulls hard and feels like it's still 2nd gear hitting the limiter once or twice then 3rd engages quickly. Any other throttle position the 2-3 is crisp and fast.

line pressure results:
idle 90-100 psi
reverse 130 psi
wot 225 - 230 psi
Old 05-08-2018, 07:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Any halfway decent scanner should be able to tell you if the pcm is commanding the shift so you can tell what's really going on
Old 05-08-2018, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
Any halfway decent scanner should be able to tell you if the pcm is commanding the shift so you can tell what's really going on
I did grab a snap on solus pro from my buddy but have not hooked it up yet.

Last night I reinstalled the sonnax servo check valve and it didn't get any better if anything maybe a tit worse but in general no change.
Maybe means the band is not kicking off fast enough with it getting a tit worse with the sonnax check valve.....
It definitely does not do a quick slip, just pulls in second till the limiter.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:44 PM
Banned

It's better to have a mild bind up than have a cut loose. Bind up on 2-3 is basically almost 4th for a split second.
To accurately give advice on this problem the tune needs to be known, like rev limiter rpm, wot shift rpm, wot shift mph is a start.
I saw the video, looks to be revving high, sure would like to know the rev limit.
That sonnax check valve is a mistake.
If you want to log something log shift time. It needs to be tuned to zero.
And the biggest thing, if you still have torque management, fing wrong.

IMO you need to post tune info or get it tuned, seems this thread is going nowhere but around in circles at this point.
I build and tune my own transmissions, even non computer controlled transmissions. Done it alot.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

It's better to have a mild bind up than have a cut loose. Bind up on 2-3 is basically almost 4th for a split second.
To accurately give advice on this problem the tune needs to be known, like rev limiter rpm, wot shift rpm, wot shift mph is a start.
I saw the video, looks to be revving high, sure would like to know the rev limit.
That sonnax check valve is a mistake.
If you want to log something log shift time. It needs to be tuned to zero.
And the biggest thing, if you still have torque management, fing wrong.
I don't tune my own car so as far as being able to comment on the tune I am unable to. I have had my car tuned many times, just not by me so I apologize.
I do spin it to 7,000 rpms but that's about all I honestly know. The way it feels it does feel like a tune issue from the converter restall at this point.

The sonnax check valve will be coming back out before it goes to my tuner. Just got antsy and threw up a hail Mary by putting it back in.

I do know torque management has been removed.
My previous builds and converter changes have all needed to be tweaked by tune. Just wanted to make sure it's nothing I did and that it's a tune issue. Previous converter was a 4000, this is a restall to a pt4400 which may be even a bit looser than that and thought I may of been able to get away without a retune.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

IMO you need to post tune info or get it tuned, seems this thread is going nowhere but around in circles at this point.
I build and tune my own transmissions, even non computer controlled transmissions. Done it alot.
Like said I am unable to post tune at this point but agree and the way it feels it's tune related.

I do agree also it's going around in circles a bit at this point due to me being unable to provide needed information but I really do appreciate the time, effort and advice. I will remove the servo check valve and get it tuned at this point in time as advised.
Again, thanks much.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I know we all get antsy sometimes...but it's best to follow the safest path of change.

Like you've already mentioned, leave out the check valve, put fluid back to the proper reading, and make sure you keep an eye on a pressure gauge. Thanks for being of of the few that posts pressure readings. Make sure that after the tune, you keep an eye on the pressure and make sure its where it should be.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I know we all get antsy sometimes...but it's best to follow the safest path of change.

Like you've already mentioned, leave out the check valve, put fluid back to the proper reading, and make sure you keep an eye on a pressure gauge. Thanks for being of of the few that posts pressure readings. Make sure that after the tune, you keep an eye on the pressure and make sure its where it should be.
For sure and will do.

thanks for the help and advice also. Just trying to learn and comprehend how some of this stuff works when ya get a little farther into it
Old 05-10-2018, 11:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Question for ****'s and giggles.....
Looking at the sonnax servo check valve there is a check ball then a fluid port then the case. Is the purpose of the check ball to allow a little fluid to escape until the third accumulator is completely filled. Meaning not completely filling until the very last second/ max pressure where the check ball can seal in turn taking a tit longer for the band to release while the 3-4 piston is being applied?

Just trying to comprehend/ understand how it is supposed to work...
Old 05-11-2018, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

It's a metered orifice. Normally, the fluid for the 3/4 clutches, and the 3rd accumulator (which is the backside of the 2nd gear servo) is metered through the same orifice. There is another orifice often referred to as the "band release" orifice but for the 2-3 shift, there is a checkball that works with the band release orifice. TransGo actually tells you to open up this orifice to .093 (its the hole at the VERY top most of the plate, one to the right of the hole where they say "ok if already larger") Opening up this hole doens't do anything for the 2-3 shift because the checkball is unseated and will flow much more fluid than the band release orifice will, so the limiting orifice is still the 3rd gear feed orifice. It will however cause issues in different gears, especially on downshifts, so I leave it at .082. At the end of the day, the band release aka 2-3 accumulator has the same orifice restriction as the 3/4 clutch feed...this is what transgo points to as the "2-3 shift" hole in the separator plate.

So, since the fluid control for the backside of the servo, and the 3-4 clutches is controlled by the same orifice, but they need vastly different amounts of flow, in stock form, it can cause some timing issues.

The sonnax valve goes inline for the 3rd accumulator feed (which again, is the backside of the servo). When feeding oil to the backside of the servo on a 2-3 shift, the checkball in the sonnax part seats, and there is an orifice in the valve that limits flow. It's a quite clever way to add another orifice that the transmission didn't have in stock form. BUT, if it were just an orifice without a check ball, then things wouldn't exhaust properly on a 3-2 downshift. That's why the check ball is part of the valve. The checkball unseats on a downshift to allow fluid to exhaust.

To make short of a lengthy explanation. The sonnax valve adds an orifice where there wasn't one before. The checkball allows orificed flow one way and free exhaust flow the other way. In stock form, this helps "cheat" some fluid to the 3/4 by not allowing the backside servo to steal it all at once. Fixing some shift flare and quickening the 3/4 clutch apply, extending their life. HOWEVER once you start playing around with shift kits and changing separator plate sizes, throw the sonnax servo valve away because you've now left the boundaries sonnax designed the valve around, and it no longer helps the problem, but can hurt it.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

It's a metered orifice. Normally, the fluid for the 3/4 clutches, and the 3rd accumulator (which is the backside of the 2nd gear servo) is metered through the same orifice. There is another orifice often referred to as the "band release" orifice but for the 2-3 shift, there is a checkball that works with the band release orifice. TransGo actually tells you to open up this orifice to .093 (its the hole at the VERY top most of the plate, one to the right of the hole where they say "ok if already larger") Opening up this hole doens't do anything for the 2-3 shift because the checkball is unseated and will flow much more fluid than the band release orifice will, so the limiting orifice is still the 3rd gear feed orifice. It will however cause issues in different gears, especially on downshifts, so I leave it at .082. At the end of the day, the band release aka 2-3 accumulator has the same orifice restriction as the 3/4 clutch feed...this is what transgo points to as the "2-3 shift" hole in the separator plate.

So, since the fluid control for the backside of the servo, and the 3-4 clutches is controlled by the same orifice, but they need vastly different amounts of flow, in stock form, it can cause some timing issues.

The sonnax valve goes inline for the 3rd accumulator feed (which again, is the backside of the servo). When feeding oil to the backside of the servo on a 2-3 shift, the checkball in the sonnax part seats, and there is an orifice in the valve that limits flow. It's a quite clever way to add another orifice that the transmission didn't have in stock form. BUT, if it were just an orifice without a check ball, then things wouldn't exhaust properly on a 3-2 downshift. That's why the check ball is part of the valve. The checkball unseats on a downshift to allow fluid to exhaust.

To make short of a lengthy explanation. The sonnax valve adds an orifice where there wasn't one before. The checkball allows orificed flow one way and free exhaust flow the other way. In stock form, this helps "cheat" some fluid to the 3/4 by not allowing the backside servo to steal it all at once. Fixing some shift flare and quickening the 3/4 clutch apply, extending their life. HOWEVER once you start playing around with shift kits and changing separator plate sizes, throw the sonnax servo valve away because you've now left the boundaries sonnax designed the valve around, and it no longer helps the problem, but can hurt it.
Thanks a ton for taking the time with that explanation.

Ever since I pulled the valve out originally I have been trying to picture how it works. My mild headache has magically went away lol.

Makes much more sense the way you explained it
Old 07-02-2018, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Update: Finally got around to getting my car tuned and it shifts amazing. We will see how long this one lasts spinning it to 7100 rpms. Tuner says my shifts are very fast, much faster and crisper to what he is used to seeing. The 1-2 shift is only taking 200 rpms.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Awesome to hear. How's the 2-3?

Remind me again what you settled on for clutch count, clearance, and orifice size. I'm on mobile and it doesn't want to play nice for me to read back through haha
Old 07-02-2018, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Awesome to hear. How's the 2-3?

Remind me again what you settled on for clutch count, clearance, and orifice size. I'm on mobile and it doesn't want to play nice for me to read back through haha
The 2-3 is way nice and fast. I will take a WOT video tomorrow.

I went with a 8 clutch setup. (6) .065" (2) .062"
.092" snap ring
.228" pressure plate
.225" Apply plate
Ended up with about .035" clarence

2nd apply is at .093"
3rd and 4th are at .125"

Set band clearance at .055"
Old 07-03-2018, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Sounds alot like mrvedit's clutch setup for the 3/4's.
Glad your build is successful thus far!
Old 10-29-2018, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Giving a usual end of the season update.....

Never made it back to the track but the transmission is still running flawless.

I will be switching to boost this off season so we will see how long it holds and what issues I run into with around 600+ rwhp.

Thanks again for the help

Quick Reply: Rookie 4l60e rebuild