Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody put a non lock up converter in a 4L60E?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004 | 08:32 PM
11 Second Club

Default Anybody put a non lock up converter in a 4L60E?

I may have one in mine now bought used thinking it was a lock up.
It stalls so sweet I hate to take it out. But I don't feel it lock and drop rpms after 40 mph.
Will it hurt...beside gas mileage?
Old 06-18-2004 | 09:44 PM
Teching In

I ran a non-lockup converter (3000rpm) for 13,000miles with no problems. Trans can get a little on the hot side on hilly winding roads, but other than that its ok. I would recommend 3-4000mile trans fluid changes to be on the safe side. It takes a bit of skill to drive whilst minimizing rpms.

I have since gone to a 4000rpm lockup converter and most times is nicer to drive, but took a fair bit of tuning to get the lockup points right - much easier to tune without the lockup.
Old 06-18-2004 | 10:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dean LS1
I ran a non-lockup converter (3000rpm) for 13,000miles with no problems. Trans can get a little on the hot side on hilly winding roads, but other than that its ok. I would recommend 3-4000mile trans fluid changes to be on the safe side. It takes a bit of skill to drive whilst minimizing rpms.

I have since gone to a 4000rpm lockup converter and most times is nicer to drive, but took a fair bit of tuning to get the lockup points right - much easier to tune without the lockup.
Did you get any SES lights from the trans thinking the converter should be locked but it wasn't? I do after sustained 65 mph highway miles.
I have a huge cooler in front of my radiator but was thinking about what you said regarding heat. I'm going to check that out and get a gauge.
I love it without the pesky locking at low mph and not dropping gears with the lock up It drives perfect and is a 4400 stall with 5600 rpm extension to gear change
You're right - have to be light footed while cruising to let the tach drop and stabalize at a low rather than high rpm. Or push it to engage the converter, get up to speed then coast/throttle/cost to stay steady.
Old 06-19-2004 | 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i agree that its going to increase the heat. if it were me i would definitely go lock-up for the sake of a decently long tranny life. as im sure u know automatics (and 4L60s in general) HATE heat.
Old 06-19-2004 | 01:56 AM
11 Second Club

For sure - heat is trans fluids enemy.
I just wonder, they sell them non lock up. Am I the only guy getting SES code P1870?
See I'm not for sure the converter is non lock, or I developed a real issue in the trans. ZBut the SES came right after the converter install and the trans is top notch and only 250 miles old.
Slowhawk is going to scan it this weekend and help me figure/tune it out. I just hoped someone already went through this.

Quick Reply: Anybody put a non lock up converter in a 4L60E?