Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6l90e swap. What all is involved? New to this world and can use any and all help

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6l90e swap. What all is involved? New to this world and can use any and all help

Hi guys, I am planning on putting the LY6 and 6l90e trans (out of an '08 Sierra 2500HD) into my '85 Cutlass. I want to get as much info as I can before I start everything.

I will be making my own engine mounts, and also modifying the truck pan so I can keep the VVT offered in the LY6. Along with the pan I will be modifying some f-body headers as well. As for the trans crossmember, I will also be making my own and altering the transmission tunnel to fit the beast of a transmission. I am still unsure on what to do with the Trans pan and also how to get the drivestaft to work (any tips on this would be appreciated).

The main thing I am unsure about is all the wiring and tuning. I bought the 2008 truck complete minus some body panels so I have the original harnesses, computers etc. I've looked on LT1Swap.com and noticed that he has pretty good instructions on what wires to remove or move around within the harness. What I'm mainly concerned about is that once I alter the harness will I need to get the ECM tuned even if I plan on running the engine stock minus headers? Also do I need to remove the TCM from the pan and get that tuned as well or will the tuning in the ECM control the TCM regardless?

As you might have figured out this is going to be a budget base swap. After unloading the rest of the parts I got off the truck the engine and transmission are essentially free and even made some money out of the deal. With that said ANY and ALL help would be appreciated, but if you know of any budget friendly tips that would that would be even better.

Thanks in advance guys!

Name:  cutless_zpslllqhzmc.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  swap%20truck_zpstsh4vmig.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  78.6 KB
Old 10-27-2016, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

168 views. no replies, so maybe I can make a couple of suggestions to how you can find build threads or request for help in past.

Up in the right hand corner of page just to the left of TIRE RACK ad is "Search This Forum". Click on it enter 6L90E and search, an you might want too also search 6L80E too as both installation requirements are the same.

Then go to "Conversions & Hybrids" an search it as it's more installed oriented.

One of the early threads on 6L90E install is in in that section as well as others that are doing installs now.

This is one of the earliest, way back in when.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-does-go.html
Old 10-27-2016, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by poorhousenext
168 views. no replies, so maybe I can make a couple of suggestions to how you can find build threads or request for help in past.

Up in the right hand corner of page just to the left of TIRE RACK ad is "Search This Forum". Click on it enter 6L90E and search, an you might want too also search 6L80E too as both installation requirements are the same.

Then go to "Conversions & Hybrids" an search it as it's more installed oriented.

One of the early threads on 6L90E install is in in that section as well as others that are doing installs now.

This is one of the earliest, way back in when.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...o-does-go.html
Google will also find good stuff including this - Wow - 8 and a half years ago. Time has flown.

Last edited by rsz288; 10-27-2016 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Editing

Quick Reply: 6l90e swap. What all is involved? New to this world and can use any and all help