Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60e Converter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 12:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60e Converter Problems

Hey all, just got some questions about some of the problems that I am having. So, My car is a 1994 stock cube LT1 with a mild cam and slightly higher compression with full bolt ons, lowering springs, LCA's, and the stock 4l60e with a cooler. Been super busy here lately and I haven't had time to get the new converter in. I noticed on Monday that the car was acting funky, it would almost feel like it was missing at times. The exhaust note would change and the car would almost feel like it was jerking at times. I know I am not having a misfire because all of my ignition components have less than 1000 miles on them and the car runs just fine in park. Also, I've developed a small rattle/vibration coming from under the center console. After I noticed it acting weird I took it out on the highway and tried doing a first gear pull. The car acted very sluggish, didn't spin the tires at all like it usually does, almost felt like it was slipping, and it just didn't feel like it was getting the power to the ground. I've put about 2000k miles on the stock converter with the new cam, just wanting to confirm my suspicion about the converter before it pops like a water balloon.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Its not the converter
Old 07-07-2017, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Its not the converter
You think the fuc**** trans is slipping? God I hope not, I guess the good thing is that you can pick up a 4l60e on craigslist for super cheap. Don't have the funds for a built trans, is there such thing as a performance type upgrade/rebuild kit?
Old 07-08-2017, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Well yeah there are tons of them, just depends on how much **** you wanna throw at it. I found a local guy to rebuild mine for about a grand, has held up great. I'm changing my build to a turbo setup and sold the trans still working instead of risking tearing it up. But properly built it should hold a 10 second car pretty reliably.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Well yeah there are tons of them, just depends on how much **** you wanna throw at it. I found a local guy to rebuild mine for about a grand, has held up great. I'm changing my build to a turbo setup and sold the trans still working instead of risking tearing it up. But properly built it should hold a 10 second car pretty reliably.
Yeah, I've been surfing the web to find some local rebuilders. Couldn't find anything decent locally but I did find a place about 2 hours away.
My current 60e is the original with 80k on it so I'm surprised it's already shitting the bed. I'm gonna add some fluid because I know the 60e's get finicky when they don't have enough fluid. Couldn't find anything decent locally but I did find a place about 2 hours away. Here is a link to the place I found, let me know what you think!

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/pts/6159353253.html
Old 07-09-2017, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

When It sounds too good to be true......most of the time it is
Old 07-09-2017, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Got my trans redone by a guy with a similar ad here in Michigan. Prices very similar. Been in car over a year and hasn't missed a beat. Very happy so far
Old 07-09-2017, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Sooo, put some fluid in it because it was low. Put in about half a quart. Went and drove the car, got on the high way and tried a pull from 50 to see what it would do. Car kicked down a gear and accelerated fine but it didnt shift correctly. It shifted almost 800 rpms before its programmed shift point. The car shifts just fine other than that. Undee any power it shifts early. Doesn't seem like its slipping at all.

Quick Reply: 4L60e Converter Problems