Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E converter not locking

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:51 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 4L80E converter not locking

Have a freshly built transmission, and new converter. Just got the car back together for the year and went out to start working on tune. The transmission shifts smooth through all gears and feels good under moderate boost. However, the converter will not lockup in OD. Nothing in the tune changed as far as settings go either.

I think I can feel and hear something happen at the speed the converter should lock, but it certainly isn't firm and the RPM's still rise 3-400 RPM when I give it more throttle. I'm not sure this feeling of the lock is actually happening or not though. The log shows the TCC % going to 100 but it doesn't seem to be doing much of a lock if it is in fact doing anything at all.

The converter is a non sponsor unit that is supposed to be a 9.5" lockup. I am running MS3PRO with a micro controlling the trans as well. I have tried locking the converter manually in the software while driving and it didn't do anything that I could feel. With the key on I can hear the TCC solenoid clicking. If this is a trans or converter issue and I continue to drive it will it eventually screw something up?

Some additional things to add. It has low viscosity hy-gard in it. I checked fluid level multiple times and it appears to be good but the Hy-Gard is hard to read. I added a quart or so to the converter, and added 9 1/2 quarts more of Hy-Gard and a quart of Dex 3 for color (didn't help much) so it should have almost 12 quarts in it. I have a stock pan as well. Is 12 quarts about right for an 80E with a 9.5" converter and a cooler mounted up front?

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would think you have a triple disc so you should feel like someone ran in to that back of you when it locks.
Mine is VERY firm. Whole car lurches forward when it does.
I never locked it at WOT yet so no help there.
This is with dex 6.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:50 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wht/73
I would think you have a triple disc so you should feel like someone ran in to that back of you when it locks.
Mine is VERY firm. Whole car lurches forward when it does.
I never locked it at WOT yet so no help there.
This is with dex 6.
Sorry, my signature is not accurate any longer. Mine is only a single disc though. With the Circle-D converter there was a very distinct lock feel, same thing in every 4L60E or 4L80E vehicle I have driven. This one is definitely not acting right though. I am just talking about cruising since I won't be locking this one at WOT. I know how it should feel, but this one is not behaving correctly.

I have lockup turned completely off in the tune now so it won't even try to lock. I am hoping to drive the car the rest of the year this way but if it's going to cause any issues with the trans then I of course will not. If there's no chance of hurting anything then I plan to race it the rest of the year and send it back this winter.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah with the triple I have even cruising, it feels like I got hit.
Other then heat, "I don't think" it will be an issue...but let the pro's chime in before me!
Old 09-21-2017, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Disable the PWM by maxing out the Minimum & Maximum TCC Duty Cycle tables.

What is the TCC slip RPM while the PWM TCC Solenoid duty cycle is at 100%?

Quick Reply: 4L80E converter not locking