Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Smoked 4L70E Post-mortem Analysis (W/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jthomas
I believe my shift kit instructions had me remove the dampening springs (ill double check)

Also, i had a random missfire from a bad o2, and you could feel it BAD when the converter was locked up.

So would the banging 1-2 shift have nothing to do with the drum damage?
I'm not referring to the clutch release "helper" springs around the 3-4 clutch.....Those do get removed when running a HD2 shift kit or 7-CS spring kit. I'm talking about the damper springs in the TCC piston inside the torque converter. "Most" billet TCC pistons lack damper springs which is OK if you don't let any harmful harmonics through the unit.....A bad misfire can contribute.

A harsh 2nd won't cause that, But will cause accelerated spline wear on several components.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I'm not referring to the clutch release "helper" springs around the 3-4 clutch.....Those do get removed when running a HD2 shift kit or 7-CS spring kit. I'm talking about the damper springs in the TCC piston inside the torque converter. "Most" billet TCC pistons lack damper springs which is OK if you don't let any harmful harmonics through the unit.....A bad misfire can contribute.

A harsh 2nd won't cause that, But will cause accelerated spline wear on several components.
After reviewing the instructions, the spring removed was the 3-4 accumulator spring (Trans scat shift kit) Can someone explain what this does?

Thanks for the info!
The splines actually look like the only thing left in the trans without wear on it lol.

After doing some reading, it seems pretty common to remove the 3-4 "helper" return springs from the drum. Should i follow??

The converter is a TCI super street fighter.. Not sure if that means anything. I dont think it has billet components?

as a reminder, this truck is a DD for the most part. I dont hit the strip, but i do pound on it on the weekends.

Last edited by jthomas; 10-09-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:59 PM
Teching In

ALSO

My new 3-4 pack is (9) .065" GPZ frictions, and (9) .060" steels...
I currently have the stock .192" pressure plate, a .214" 5 tang (HD) apply plate, and a .092" snap ring. I cant fit the snap ring in the drum groove (lack of clearance).

What size pressure/apply plates/ snap ring do i need to accommodate the clutches with appropriate clearance??

AND HOW DID I MANAGE TO ONLY DESTROY ONE FRICTION AND TURN ALL THE STEELS BLUE?

Last edited by jthomas; 10-09-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by clinebarger
It looks like a lot of wear in the picture from the 3-4 steels rattling against the drum from the TCC locking up to early.
Please educate
Old 10-09-2017, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

ALSO

My new 3-4 pack is (9) .065" GPZ frictions, and (9) .060" steels...
I currently have the stock .192" pressure plate, a .214" 5 tang (HD) apply plate, and a .092" snap ring. I cant fit the snap ring in the drum groove (lack of clearance).

What size pressure/apply plates/ snap ring do i need to accommodate the clutches with appropriate clearance??

AND HOW DID I MANAGE TO ONLY DESTROY ONE FRICTION AND TURN ALL THE STEELS BLUE?
9 frictions, 8 steels in a 3-4 clutch....

A 9 friction set-up normally requires a aftermarket backing/pressure plate &/or a thin snap ring.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 10-12-2017, 08:58 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

When lockup happened early and your in 3-4 gears low speeds you can get a almost trailer hitch effect basically the steel in the set rattle back and forth in the drum leaving marks , They are not a huge deal unless really bad but usually if they can easily be cleaner up with a rolock disk or file its not an issue , You might try raising lockup to a higher speed many go with over 40mph in 4th gear only

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-13-2017, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by performabuilt
When lockup happened early and your in 3-4 gears low speeds you can get a almost trailer hitch effect basically the steel in the set rattle back and forth in the drum leaving marks , They are not a huge deal unless really bad but usually if they can easily be cleaner up with a rolock disk or file its not an issue , You might try raising lockup to a higher speed many go with over 40mph in 4th gear only
The lockup setting were stock, but i did then end up making it lockup sooner because of the increase stall. (i didnt like cruising around 3k+ rpm)

but i also increased my lockup pressure, so instead of it sliding in, it felt like another shift.

I guess i still dont understand why its bad to engage at low speeds. now i understand what happens, but i still dont understand why that should happen.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The lockup setting were stock, but i did then end up making it lockup sooner because of the increase stall. (i didnt like cruising around 3k+ rpm)

but i also increased my lockup pressure, so instead of it sliding in, it felt like another shift.

I guess i still dont understand why its bad to engage at low speeds. now i understand what happens, but i still dont understand why that should happen.
Generally at low throttle and speeds your on and off throttle a lot so you get a lot of back and forth pull release on drive train this wears the drum and in lockup happens more aggressively .

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Help! Smoked 4L70E Post-mortem Analysis (W/pics)