Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going 400 with a brake. Question..

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Going 400 with a brake. Question..

I was about to order my valve body and noticed that it's only offered in RMVB. Buddy told me that he thought the only way to run a brake was using one with a RMVB. I've never liked the though of shifting backwards. Anyone know if this is true??
Old 10-02-2017, 11:38 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Reverse pattern is much safer. No change of nudging it from 3rd to reverse at the top of the track, causing your transmission to explode.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Reverse pattern is much safer. No change of nudging it from 3rd to reverse at the top of the track, causing your transmission to explode.
NHRA and IHRA rules require a reverse lockout.

Reverse pattern has been the standard configuration because it's usually easier to design.

​​​​​
Old 10-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Restricted User

I just seen my post. Autocorrect butchered that one haha.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by JustAFooL
I was about to order my valve body and noticed that it's only offered in RMVB. Buddy told me that he thought the only way to run a brake was using one with a RMVB. I've never liked the though of shifting backwards. Anyone know if this is true??
You get used to the rmvb really quick. Not confusing at all.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Game ova
You get used to the rmvb really quick. Not confusing at all.
im not worried about driving itnaround really. I just like the thought of shifting forward instead of backwards. lol.

As far as bumping it into reverse, I already got lockout on my shifter now. Running a Pro stick so all I will have to do is change the gate to swap to a 3spd. I'm guessing by the answers though that any valve body get with a brake is going to be RMVB?? Recommendations?
Old 10-03-2017, 10:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No matter what brake you get it going to be for a RMVB
Old 10-03-2017, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

im not worried about driving itnaround really. I just like the thought of shifting forward instead of backwards. lol.

As far as bumping it into reverse, I already got lockout on my shifter now. Running a Pro stick so all I will have to do is change the gate to swap to a 3spd. I'm guessing by the answers though that any valve body get with a brake is going to be RMVB?? Recommendations?
TCI brake here. Only thing I don't like with it is having to use the transbrake to reverse.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Game ova
TCI brake here. Only thing I don't like with it is having to use the transbrake to reverse.
I don't really understand what you mean by that??

What anout Hipsters? TSI? Just kinda looking around..
Old 10-04-2017, 08:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't really understand what you mean by that??

What anout Hipsters? TSI? Just kinda looking around..
The way the brake is designed, if you don't use the transbrake for reversing....you will burn up the direct clutch. The reverse circuit has a leak, it will still apply....but at a low pressure. The hipster and grinner... and others are retarded expensive imo. For what we are doing.... the TCI is fine.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What he's saying is you have to turn the transbrake solenoid on in neutral for reverse to avoid hurting the transmission.

I've wired up toggle switches for that so I can turn reverse on/off and not have to press a momentary button.

The other thing you don't have to worry about doing with a reverse pattern valve body is skipping 3rd gear and going into neutral, unless you have a clean neutral after 3rd in a reverse pattern, but not likely.

It's really not bad once you get used to it, and for the price of learning curve you get the transbrake which is way better than forward shifting and possibly skipping 3rd IMO.

Hope this helps some.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by conexion914
What he's saying is you have to turn the transbrake solenoid on in neutral for reverse to avoid hurting the transmission.

I've wired up toggle switches for that so I can turn reverse on/off and not have to press a momentary button.

The other thing you don't have to worry about doing with a reverse pattern valve body is skipping 3rd gear and going into neutral, unless you have a clean neutral after 3rd in a reverse pattern, but not likely.

It's really not bad once you get used to it, and for the price of learning curve you get the transbrake which is way better than forward shifting and possibly skipping 3rd IMO.

Hope this helps some.
So, to engage Reverse, you have to temporarily bypass the brake I'm guessing? Kinda lost but I'm sure I will figure it out.

The new setup is a 370 with an 84mm. It will rarely see the track but I want a brake cause I'm just that way. Say for instance the new converter will stall 3500, is that what the brake will hold or does it hold as long as you keep the litte button pushed?
Old 10-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Restricted User

As far as bumping it into reverse, I already got lockout on my shifter now.
I somehow long the 'or neutral' at the end of that. A TH400 can violently come apart if the shifter is nudged into neutral at the end of the track.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different valve bodies work in different ways. That being said, some you just go into reverse and others you need to hold the button. Some also have clean neutral, some do not. If you would like to discuss this further give me a call. We offer many different option on valve bodies, but to get a brake you have to go reversed pattern.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:01 AM
On The Tree

So, to engage Reverse, you have to temporarily bypass the brake I'm guessing? Kinda lost but I'm sure I will figure it out.

The new setup is a 370 with an 84mm. It will rarely see the track but I want a brake cause I'm just that way. Say for instance the new converter will stall 3500, is that what the brake will hold or does it hold as long as you keep the litte button pushed?
To engage reverse you will have to put the shifter into N and then activate the transbrake solenoid with 12v. I have my car wired with a toggle switch that I can leave on while in reverse so I don't have to try to hold a button on my steering while and try to steer the car.

If you don't have a two step and turn the transbrake on in 1st gear and go wide open throttle the motor will only rev to what the converter stalls at. My car will rev to about 4600-4800 depending on the weather as that's what my converter stalls at. Be forewarned that the fluid will get hot in a hurry if you sit on the transbrake up against the converter.

If you have a two step, and it is set below the converter stall rpm, you will just sit at that rpm at wide open throttle with the transbrake activated and the transmission in 1st gear until you either release the transbrake, or take your foot off the throttle.

I hope this helps some.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

After driving using my rmvb I couldn't imagine shifting forward. It just makes sense as the car pushes you back into the seat that it's easier to pull towards you. At least to me.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by conexion914
To engage reverse you will have to put the shifter into N and then activate the transbrake solenoid with 12v. I have my car wired with a toggle switch that I can leave on while in reverse so I don't have to try to hold a button on my steering while and try to steer the car.

If you don't have a two step and turn the transbrake on in 1st gear and go wide open throttle the motor will only rev to what the converter stalls at. My car will rev to about 4600-4800 depending on the weather as that's what my converter stalls at. Be forewarned that the fluid will get hot in a hurry if you sit on the transbrake up against the converter.

If you have a two step, and it is set below the converter stall rpm, you will just sit at that rpm at wide open throttle with the transbrake activated and the transmission in 1st gear until you either release the transbrake, or take your foot off the throttle.

I hope this helps some.
yup, this helps tremendously. I have a msd 2 step already on the car. I will probably try and wire the 2 step and the transbrake together, my switch for the 2 step is on the shifter. I will wire a toggle in for reverse like what you've said. Seems to make more sense. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

yup, this helps tremendously. I have a msd 2 step already on the car. I will probably try and wire the 2 step and the transbrake together, my switch for the 2 step is on the shifter. I will wire a toggle in for reverse like what you've said. Seems to make more sense. Thanks for the help guys.
Let me know if you need help with any of it. I recently re-did all of mine with line lock, 2 step, and transbrake.

Quick Reply: Going 400 with a brake. Question..