Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80E pressures road test

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80E pressures road test

I installed the amazon trans gauge in the test port of my trans today and did a road test.
Park/neutral 70 psi, driving down the road at 5% throttle 95/100 psi.
A good blip of the throttle, 175+.
I didn't floor it yet but by the way the gauge jumps (literally) and (figuratively) to 175+ I see no reason why it wouldn't be past 175.
Reverse is around 70psi also.
I did turn down the LD2 boost pressure on the controller to 0 when I was having issues of it killing the engine as soon as is was put in rev when cold.
This is a basically stock rebuild with a 6F converter.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by wht/73; 10-03-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Is your reverse pressure a typo?

Compushifts are preset to be very aggressive on line rise vs TPS, You can set it to be more linear.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No.
We discussed it in my post (reverse line pressure boost 80E) back in may and was having issues with reverse and you said there was no need for the boost and would be ok to lower it. So I did and haven't touched it since.
It was set to be 11% more pressure with 0 throttle.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Reverse pressure should boost regardless of controller input, Reverse oil is routed to a separate reaction area of the Boost Valve boosting line pressure.

The controller has the ability to boost line further by decreasing EPC current/Increasing Torque Signal but that is not needed at idle/no load situations.

What Boost Valve assembly are you running? Trans Go ones have a greatly reduced Reverse Boost reaction area, And you have ones that are "regulated"......Even then you should have some reverse boost.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sonnax 34200-01K went in when I had the Sonnax LTL valve done.
I can't remember why or where I read to replace that too when doing the LTL valve.
The car will still take off in reverse at idle. So it doesn't feel like anythings wrong.
The second I touch the gas in park or any forward gear or REV , the psi immediately jumps up.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wht/73
Sonnax 34200-01K went in when I had the Sonnax LTL valve done.
I can't remember why or where I read to replace that too when doing the LTL valve.
The car will still take off in reverse at idle. So it doesn't feel like anythings wrong.
The second I touch the gas in park or any forward gear or REV , the psi immediately jumps up.
The Compushift is compensating for the lack of reverse boost by being so aggressive with off idle torque signal pressure (Not really their intent, They just don't want people raising hell over the default programming burning frictions)......Lucky you! If this trans was in heavy duty truck backing trailers everyday with stock programming, It would lose reverse/burn the band pretty quick, In a light car like your Nova.....You might be OK.

It's still odd you have no boost, Some theories......

The Reverse Boost hole in the pump got blocked on a previous build, When using a stronger/higher rate PR spring which will automatically boost minimum regulated line pressure OR running no current to the EPC solenoid.

This REQUIRES grinding a flat/drilling a hole in the top land of the boost valve to bleed/vent ANY torque signal oil that leaks into the reverse boost spool because the natural vent is now blocked.
With a new boost valve & sleeve.....This may not be a issue YET, As the valve/sleeve wears, IT WILL become an issue!

Test drive you car for several miles with the gauge hooked up, Get it nice & hot. If the minimum regulated pressure/closed throttle pressure starts to creep up above your 70 psi baseline......This needs to be corrected!!!

175 psi max EPC boost is about right for a stock boost valve & PR spring.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, if it doesn't creep up when at running temp it's ok?
I can try putting the 11% the controller back and see what it reads then.
Mike hoy said that the 11% was a stock GM boost .It wasn't doing it on it's own.
It's the default setting.
What should the psi be in reverse?
The weird thing is it doesn't sit there and wait for me to give it gas. It will probably go 10mph at idle if I let it..

One other thing, has anyone seen if this gauge is accurate?
This is the one recommend numerous times on this site. ATD-5550

Last edited by wht/73; 10-04-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know Mike Hoy, He's a great guy & his controllers are some of the best on the market, I'm not about to call him out on a internet forum.

There are several different GM calibrations for 4L80E's, I'm not saying that none of them add EPC boost in reverse at zero load......I'm saying I have never seen this as part of ANY stock calibration while reading actual EPC current with my voltmeter, It reads .96-.99 AMPS in reverse just like every other gear at zero load.

I like to see 90-100 PSI minimum regulated line in reverse.

A high curb idle will cause it to move without throttle, My 4L80E with a 9.5" 3400 Circle D converter will only creep without throttle in reverse on level ground.....L92 idles around 650 rpm.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah there's no shot of my cam idling at 650.
More like 1150
I wasn't asking you to cal him out! LOL!
I'll report back maybe tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 80E pressures road test