Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1200hp Transmission for an LS3 Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1200hp Transmission for an LS3 Swap?

Hey everyone, so I'm currently working on a project drift car, it's a '01 Silvia with an LS3 swap (crate engine), already midly modded it's making around 750 hp but with the stock transmission, and i want to upgrade it to a new transmission that can handle over 1200hp (what is the main goal to reach with the car) without struggling, so i can use it for a fairly long time, so what transmission do you recommend me for the car? I want one to last quite a lot, cause i don't want to throw more money at it after finishing it.
note: the car has been only been dyno'd and taken to the streets without making pulls, just to test it, in case if it's worth noting it, cause idk a lot about transmissions.
waiting for your answers, thanks in advance
note 2: my english it's not perfect, i'm not american
Old 10-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Built TH400 or 4L80...

Or a Powerglide.

Street car, I'd do 4L80.

Also, I'm moving this to the auto transmission section.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was talking to my buddy about this the other day. He had a 240sx drift car. He likes the idea of an LS swap because of how reliable they and the power they make. I told him it would be super cost effective and reliable to buy a good running ls1 do fast intake, cam, 243 heads, long tube headers ect and make almost 450rwhp na. He is looking into a ls3 though because who doesn't want a 100k mile warranty for their race car. Either way he's looking at an LS.

So we then moved to transmissions. Like every drift car that has ever competed professionally is a manual trans. For his ls swap that means T56 swap. By the time he buys a used trans, rebuilds it, clutch, crossmember all the stuff to make it work it's over 5k. We talked about a 4l80 which would be much cheap and he'd still have OD to cruise the car or if he wanted track only a turbo 400. He said it wouldn't work because the clutch is used to initiate drifts and so forth. As well as auto trans tend to shift instead of bouncing off the limiiter. He was also afraid that when he needed to downshift it might not do it as fast or as accurately as a manual.

Here was my idea rhougb. If he gets a 4l80 it will be stout as ****. Gear the rear end so that 2nd gear is a good speed for low speed drifts and 3rd is a high speed drift gear. It limits fear choice, but we can make up for that with power. As far as gear selection goes let's just make it a reverse manual valve body with a shift kit. That way he's in control control of what gear it's in and it will do what ever he tells it to. With a shift kit it wiill also shift much faster than anyone with a manual trans. This brings us to our last and final challenge a clutch. I'd be willing to bet that if you put a pretty big stall converter in 4500+ it would probably be better than a clutch. Just as you come into the drift smash the gas and it will automatically act like you kicked the clutch. Now these are all just ideas so let me know whether you think it would work or if I'm at fault in my logic.

Also 1200rwhp is a **** ton for a drift car. You wouldn't need that much power ever.

Quick Reply: 1200hp Transmission for an LS3 Swap?