Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80E output shaft with the rib

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default 4L80E output shaft with the rib

I picked up a used Jasper 80E trans, hopping it was usable as is. The one I built kept locking up, so I got this one on a deal, and works fine. Problem is it has the rib on the output shaft, so the yoke I am using only slides in to it, and the splines are shorter. I built a temp driveshaft, and tried to get max spline, still leaving some room to slide. Is it possible to trim that rib with the trans in the car, as I want to build my new driveshaft so when I put a new trans in, I will have everything ready. I dont want to pull this ex trans apart and change the shaft since I am building a new one. The yoke I am using has full splines, not counter bored.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

its better to get the counterbored yoke or have a machine shop do it to yours
Old 04-13-2021, 01:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,205 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I picked up a used Jasper 80E trans, hopping it was usable as is. The one I built kept locking up, so I got this one on a deal, and works fine. Problem is it has the rib on the output shaft, so the yoke I am using only slides in to it, and the splines are shorter. I built a temp driveshaft, and tried to get max spline, still leaving some room to slide. Is it possible to trim that rib with the trans in the car, as I want to build my new driveshaft so when I put a new trans in, I will have everything ready. I dont want to pull this ex trans apart and change the shaft since I am building a new one. The yoke I am using has full splines, not counter bored.
Follow what TruckDoug said.

You are not going to want to try and machine the output-shaft with the transmission in the vehicle...
Not to mention the metal debris that would go everywhere!
Old 04-13-2021, 06:49 AM
TECH Veteran

My orig thinking was I could pull the tail shaft housing off, cover up the rear of the trans, and take a grinder and take enough off to allow the yoke to go all the way on. I have a billet yoke I was going to use. Right now I am using a DS that has one of those long yokes, puts the u joint away from the trans, not a good situation, but just temp.
Maybe best to get a counter bored yoke for now, if it went on all the way, I could use that to cut a new DS, then when I switch trans, switch yokes so I have full splines.
Thanks for the replies, now I have to find a yoke, sometimes they don't tell you whether they are or not.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

denny's driveshaft stock counterbored yokes in various u joint sizes. my local shop will do it for $60 to any yoke you bring in
Old 04-13-2021, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

I machine every 400-4l80 output shaft that I touch with the ridge. I’ve also machined yokes to fit.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,205 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by badass68
I machine every 400-4l80 output shaft that I touch with the ridge. I’ve also machined yokes to fit.
Yup!

Works very nicely on a lathe with a fresh, very sharp tooling.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:56 AM
TECH Veteran

I thought about having mine bored, but ended up ordering a Sonnax one, same as I have only bored-I may have a heavy duty driveshaft from another project that will be a perfect fit, so a little plus, lol. I do hate dealing with u joints, if those suckers are not dead straight, all hell can break loose, lol.

Quick Reply: 4L80E output shaft with the rib